Which pitcher would you want starting a game 7?

Started: 12/2/2015 Category: Sports

If you made the World Series, which pitcher would you want starting for your team in game 7, win or go home round?

In this debate, I would like to talk about one starting pitcher you want to start for your game 7 in the World Series. The time period we are talking about is anyone from past 3 years, because I would like to make this debate as recent as possible.

The pitcher I would like to choose for my game 7 in World Series is Madison Bumgarner in 2014 postseason, when the San Francisco Giants played Pittsburgh Pirates in wild card round, Washington Nationals in NLDS, St.Louis Cardinals in NLCS, and Kansas City Royals in the World Series.

Madison Bumgarner was phenomenal during the 2014 postseason, as he went 4-1 with 2 complete game shutouts and 1.03 ERA. This record may not sound as impressive if you just hear the numbers but Bumgarner pitched in 7 of 18 games that San Francisco Giants played that postseason.

Not only was Bumgarner very consistent and pitched many games, he put up some insane numbers during this time, as he broke the record for most postseason innings pitched by a pitcher, with 52.2 innings.

Another factor I would like to mention is that he didn't do well only in the postseason, he also thrived and led the Giants during the regular season as well. During the regular season, he threw 217.1 innings, with 219 strikeouts, and 2.98 ERA. Not to mention, he also had the best batting year of his young career in 2014, with .258 average and 5 home runs. As a pitcher, that's a stand out statistic.

Now, I will wait for anyone to accept the challenge.

I am an avid fan of the Washington Nationals. For a World Series game 7, I would want to see Max Scherzer as the starter. Despite having a losing first season, Scherzer pitched 2 no hitters, one against the Pittsburgh Pirates and one against the Milwaukee Brewers. Scherzer had a 10-11 record in the 2015 season, but he should have had a better record than this. The games he should have been given the win for, he wasn't. This was the rest of the team's fault. Scherzer is an amazing, consistent pitcher and could win a world series for the Nationals.

First off, I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this challenge and his round 1 argument.

My opponent has stated that he thinks Max Scherzer would be the best choice for a game 7 in a World Series.
I would like to start off by saying that I do agree with my opponent on saying Max Scherzer is without a doubt a great pitcher, one of the best the league can offer. He could be a number 1 starter on any Major League Baseball team.

However, when you are talking about Max Scherzer's postseason statistics, they do not show very good numbers. His career postseason ERA is 3.73, near 4, and this is certainly not the most reliable pitcher's number. Max Scherzer has performed so well and consistently during regular season that this number is hard to believe it is Scherzer's. But the stats show that during 2014 postseason, Max Scherzer has had his biggest struggle in his postseason career, as he had an ERA up in the 6, and collecting 6 strikeouts in his one start during the postseason in 2014.

If you compare Madison Bumgarner to Max Scherzer in 2014 postseason, these are the numbers you will see:

Madison Bumgarner (SF, P, 26): 7 GP, 6 GS, 52.2 IP, 1.03 ERA, 0.65 WHIP, and total record of 4-1.

Max Scherzer (WAS, P, 31): 1 GP, 1 GS, 7.1 IP, 6.14 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, and total record of 0-1.

I do understand the reason why my opponent is blaming other players for the loss, but that does not excuse Max Scherzer's stats for being what it is. Not only 2014, Scherzer has struggled in postseasons throughout his career, and he has not been the most reliable pitcher.
Again, I do agree that Scherzer is an amazing number 1 starter, but I staunchly disagree that Max Scherzer is the best pick for the game 7 in the World Series, not to mention, the most important game in the series.

I would also like to point out the fact that there shouldn't be any bias in this argument, as my opponent has mentioned that he is an avid fan of the Washington Nationals. I am a hardcore Dodgers fan, but I still picked a pitcher from the Dodgers' oldest rival team, San Francisco Giants.

Now I will wait for my opponent to post his counter argument.

I understand my opponent's logic behind the statistics between Scherzer and Bumgarner. However, during the actual game, the numbers don't truly matter. On paper, Scherzer should be only average or below average in the postseason, but could very easily change that one year. Time and time again in baseball, weak teams and spectacular teams have played like equals while on the field. Throughout the Nationals' last season, when playing below average teams like the Philadelphia Phillies or Miami Marlins, those two teams have played the Nationals as if they were on the same level; but the statistics say that the Nationals should dominate both of those teams. If you want to look at Scherzer and Bumgarner through a statistical viewpoint, Bumgarner is the better postseason pitcher. However, during the actual game, statistics may not always apply or matter.

Thanks for your round 2 argument.

My opponent has stated that the 'below average team's like the Phillies or Marlins play very well against the Nationals, and therefore statistics do not matter.
This statement is totally different from the point I was trying to make for a few reasons. First off, the topic we are talking about right now is individual statistics of two pitchers, not statistics of two teams. Also, talking about two teams will not make sense because again, the Nationals playing the Phillies and the Marlins are during regular season, and we are talking about the postseason, and the most important stage of it, World Series. Furthermore, the regular season of Major League Baseball contains 162 games, and the teams in the same division plays each other countless times a year, and the Nationals are in the same division as the Phillies and the Marlins. It is nearly impossible to win every game against one team, so you cannot say the statistics do not matter. The Nationals may be the best team in their division but that does not mean they will win every game against every 'below-average teams'.

My opponent also stated that the numbers truly don't matter. This doesn't make sense because if the numbers didn't matter, then there would be no such thing as statistics. Here's why:

For example, if a player has good eyes and can pick out balls exceptionally well, then the player will get a lot of base on balls, also known as a walk. This will show on statistics as a lot of BBs. Or if a player can get a lot of base hits, home runs, or get on base very often, then the numbers will prove this as a lot of hits, HRs, and a good OBP (On Base Percentage).

So for my opponent to say that numbers truly don't matter, it is an obtuse statement. Numbers are what represents the ability and the value of a player and that's also what determines the amount of salary a player gets paid. I have not denied the fact that Max Scherzer is an amazing pitcher, however, once it comes down to postseason, you can say that Max Scherzer is clearly not the best choice.

Madison Bumgarner on the other hand, you do not have to mention the numbers because he was awarded MVP of the World Series and NLCS MVP in 2014. So even if you do not want to speak of the numbers, Madison Bumgarner is still a better pitcher in the postseason than Max Scherzer is, as I have just proved.

It is possible for Max Scherzer to do better than Madison Bumgarner in a couple of games but as we look at both of their statistics overall, Madison Bumgarner will outperform Max Scherzer in clutch-needed situations and important games. Also, my opponent has said that on paper, Scherzer is not that good of a postseason pitcher but he can turn it easily around. My reaction to that statement is that first off, it cannot be done easily, because if it was easy, he would have done it already. In addition, until Max Scherzer actually goes out there and proves that he is as trustworthy in postseason as he is during the regular season, and outperforms Madison Bumgarner in 2014 postseason, my pick will be always on Madison Bumgarner.

Now I will wait for my opponent's final counter argument.

I'd like to thank my opponent for making this debate an enjoyable and pleasant one. Most of the Nationals division rivals, such as the Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies and Miami Marlins have weak pitching staffs and weak bullpens for years. The Nationals this year also had a weak bullpen. I agree that the New York Mets have a phenomenal starting 6 with Jacob deGrom, Matt Harvey, Bartolo Colon, Noah Syndergaard, Zach Wheeler and Jonathan Niese. The Mets however have a problem with their average bullpen. Closer Juerys Familia is the most effective pitcher from the Mets' bullpen. The Mets had no other consistent relievers in their bullpen. An example of below average relief pitching would be left hander Jerry Blevins. Blevins started off playing decently for the Mets, but broke his left forearm twice.
Although I am an avid Nationals fan, I understand why my opponent would say I should be unbiased. For this debate, I am unbiased. The last Atlanta Braves pitcher that was significant to the team was Earvin Santana, who was traded to the Minnesota Twins in 2014. For the Phillies, they had Cole Hamels, the best pitcher in their rotation. Hamels was traded to the Texas Rangers in 2014 for 5 minor leaguers. Since then, none of those teams have had strong pitching. The Phillies had a fairly decent bullpen, but most of those pitchers, such as Jonathan Papelbon, left the team. The Miami Marlins never had a very strong starting 5, but had an inconsistent hit or miss bullpen. I typically watch every game of the Nationals' season, and I always notice the weak pitching by all the division rivals except for the Mets. Also, the Nationals one playoff win in the series against the San Fransisco Giants was against Madison Bumgarner.
Vote Placed by Bosoxfaninla 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided statistics which backed up his position, and overall had a much better structure and rebuttals.