lifesaglitch911
GrizzlyAdamz

Which super power would be the best to have

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

lifesaglitch911

Pro

I believe the ability to choose what people are thinking would be the ultimate super power to have because it allows you to also have many other super powers, for instance if you could alter what people think you could make people think they don't see you, which would technically make one invisible. Or you could alter your own mind to think your flying which would be exactly like really flying without the dangers of crashing.
That is why I think altering peoples minds would be the best super power to have
GrizzlyAdamz

Con

My thanks for this debate, though the character limit is rather daft.
Due to character limit, I will post my critique of my opponent's power in the following rounds.

Alternate Power

The power I propose is as follows:

The ability to reform the cells in your body at whim for up to 8 consecutive hours. This includes reformation at the molecular level, partial or total. This also includes the ability to reform into inanimate objects, partially or totally. We assume the ability is regulated by an autonomous mechanism inherant to one's body, which mitigates any possible lasting damage and assists in refomation into functional objects and items at all levels of the process.
I can list positive benefits to this power in the following rounds.
lifesaglitch911

Pro

But, if one alters others and there own mind to
Believe that they are " shapeshifting " it is basically
The same thing as actually shapeshifting
This is similar to the riddle " if a tree falls
But no one hears it, does it make a sound"
GrizzlyAdamz

Con

Condensed Critique of Opponent's Power

1. If always on = incessant stream of consciousness = insanity
2. Power = easily abused = violation of privacy & free will = near useless for a superhero
3. Power over one's mind = absolute security risk = amnesia, schizophrenia, dissociation, loss of power or otherwise compromise of ones self

Inclusion of opponent's new argument:
4. Illusion does not convey actual ability. One cannot illusion one's way through a 4-foot-thick containment dome, nor illusion a radiation shield around oneself when the reactor is about to go critical.

Benefits of power

Allows the user to make sword hands, transform into solid objects, perfect disguises, impenetrable diamond skin, flight, etc & self-identity is preserved.
lifesaglitch911

Pro

I am not saying illusion is exactly the same as actual ability, but they are very similar, and with illusion you can basically do anything
GrizzlyAdamz

Con

Euch, next time make more rounds and set the character limit higher. Check your comments.

Closing argument:
Illusion is limited to illusion. While your power has it's strengths in the intangible & intuitive problem solving, my power has strength in overal versatility, especially if you consider temporary ingestion of additional matter & transforming into a very thin, enormous mouth&stomach. If we were to get into a fight, your power would trump mine-- that is unless you are only relegated to controlling human brains, (which you seem to have eluded to)- in which case you would have to resort to other humans to fight me. In summation, my ability allows super-human feats, yours is both a liability & only allows human feats.

Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
Regarding a report of multiple votes on this debate (and any future votes)

[*Reason for non-removal*] This debate is well beyond the statute of limitations for vote moderation. We recognize that the voting period is still open, but as this debate ended over 4 years ago, it is regarded as being well beyond the SoL.
************************************************************************
Posted by GrizzlyAdamz 5 years ago
GrizzlyAdamz
It is unfortunate you didn't happen on the comments before r2.
I will post the non-condensed version of my critique although as of yet it is not permissible to the voting period.

1. Without additional specifications from my opponent, we assume the power is always on. Since the power is mind-control, one can assume that one would also have the power to read minds. If the power is always on, a cliche problem with the ability to read minds is an incessant stream of consciousness, which gets worse the more people are around the clairvoyant. The result is sparta madness.
2. The power my opponent chose is primarily used to alter the minds of others. However, such a power can easily be abused, and the mere act presents a moral choice: Is it ok to violate the privacy, a even free-will of those around you? If we are talking about a super-hero, this power would be all but useless.
3. My opponent also includes the ability to alter your own mind in this super-power. This is a double-edged sword. If one can alter one's own mind there are no safe-guards to protect against (DIRE) accidents. E.G. I thought about myself getting amnesia when my uncle had amnesia, and now I don't know---what? Who are you?
This is like giving a robot the ability to change it's prgramming and not expect it to fall into a malaise or murderous fervor.
Posted by GrizzlyAdamz 5 years ago
GrizzlyAdamz
Bah, was trying to avoid superman crap. Would have been a boring debate if I tried to pick the BEST superpower I could think of. Plus total time manipulation leads to other complications, which I had to consider for my own point.

(cough)http://en.wikipedia.org...(cough)
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Interesting powers but time manipulation still rules all.

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by GrizzlyAdamz 5 years ago
GrizzlyAdamz
If not, the format I would prefer is:

Round one: Power
Round two: Critique of opposing power
Round three: Benefits of power

Since you mostly skipped describing your power in round 1 in favor of listing benefits, you would be able to defend against the critiques I put forth in round 2.
Posted by GrizzlyAdamz 5 years ago
GrizzlyAdamz
More like your character limit would hamstring a reasonable response-
I almost didn't accept because of it.

Now, I doubt I will be able to include the totality of my argument in all 3 rounds, let alone respond to any arguments you make in the rounds....thus I ask for the ability to post additional words in the comments section to be considered for the debate.

My critique of your power alone was twice the limit you set of 750 characters.
Posted by lifesaglitch911 5 years ago
lifesaglitch911
My arguments to good for anyone to except the challenge LOL
Posted by lifesaglitch911 5 years ago
lifesaglitch911
To say a different power and explain why it's better
Posted by drafterman 5 years ago
drafterman
What are you looking for here? Someone to refute that your proposed power is the best, or to counter with a specific power which is better?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
lifesaglitch911GrizzlyAdamzTied
Reasons for voting decision: To quote or voting rights moderator, "This debate is well beyond the statute of limitations for vote moderation." , So my rfd is irrelevant. I vote Pro because I love a man in uniform.
Vote Placed by drafterman 5 years ago
drafterman
lifesaglitch911GrizzlyAdamzTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think it boiled down to illusion vs. reality. While Pro may have had a point with invisibility, making people believe you are an object doesn't confer the abilities of that object.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
lifesaglitch911GrizzlyAdamzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't really refute anything and also had questionable sentence structure.
Vote Placed by eltigrey 5 years ago
eltigrey
lifesaglitch911GrizzlyAdamzTied
Reasons for voting decision: What a very childish debate, obvious con win
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
lifesaglitch911GrizzlyAdamzTied
Reasons for voting decision: The character limit resulted in an underwhelming discussion, but Con's arguments were more convincing.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
lifesaglitch911GrizzlyAdamzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was more convincing in explaining why the ability to reform cells was better than Pro's power.