LarryLemon1
Strawerrymilk

Which was more important The battle of Saratoga or the battle of Yorktown

LarryLemon1

Pro

I will be taking the side of the battle of Saratoga in this debate. Saratoga was a turning point in the war for independence in the Americas. Not only did the Americans win the battle but it also showed foreign powers that helping America was worth the risk of Great Britain's wrath. As I said before I will have the pro which is Saratoga and the Con will have the side of Yorktown.
Strawerrymilk

Con

Thank you LarryLemon1 for instigating this debate. As has been stipulated, I will contend that the Battle of Yorktown is more important than the Battle of Saratoga. Due to the symmetrical structure of this debate I will assume an equal burden of proof for my arguments. Because my opponent has included only a brief summary of their arguments in the first round in the interest of equity I will confine myself to a similarly terse response in this round, and wait until the second round to include justification and citations.

The Battle of Saratoga is merely the ostensible turning point in a war which from the very beginning would inevitably have been won by the Americans. By contrast, The Battle of Yorktown's significance extends far beyond military matters It was in the immediate context of this battle that the British capitulated to the revolutionaries, George Washington began his transition from general to politician, and America was recognized as a sovereign nation by the rest of the world
LarryLemon1

Pro

If the revolutionaries had not won the Battle of Saratoga, as I said then the foreign powers such as Spain and France would not have decided to help with the revolutionaries cause which in turn would have lost the battle of Yorktown because the only thing keeping the British from being supplied by its vast navy was the French fleet. This proves that if the Americans had lost the Battle of Saratoga then General George Washington would not have even made the transition from general to politician in the first place leaving the possibly leaving the Constitutional Convention without a president because the revolution might not have even been won. The British numbered 6,000 while the Americans numbered 7,000. Had the Americans lost this key battle then they would have lost hopes of keeping the British from capturing the North and would have 6,000(minus causalities) roving around in the North. Some sources say that the British troops captured were a fourth of the entire British army in the colonies. Without the Victory at Saratoga the colonists may have not received foreign support that was neccesary to win the Battle of Yorktown. My source washttp://matej.ceplovi.cz....
Strawerrymilk

Con

Strawerrymilk forfeited this round.
LarryLemon1

Pro

LarryLemon1 forfeited this round.
Strawerrymilk

Con

Strawerrymilk forfeited this round.
LarryLemon1

Pro

LarryLemon1 forfeited this round.
Strawerrymilk

Con

Strawerrymilk forfeited this round.
Posted by LarryLemon1 4 years ago
LarryLemon1
Sorry that sucks I guess you could send me your argument and I can check out the round that wasn't meant to be?
Posted by Strawerrymilk 4 years ago
Strawerrymilk
augh, was posting it with 30 seconds to go and my internet crapped. What should i do?
Posted by LarryLemon1 4 years ago
LarryLemon1
Thank you aberum1 for the comment and constructive criticism
Posted by aberum1 4 years ago
aberum1
I agree with the pro, without the victory at Saratoga, the victory at Yorktown may not have happened. Though con is right, pro is going to need a longer, more detailed case, rather than a summary. As if right now, I believe it is a tie.