emaan11
jvava

White children vs Asian children - Whites result in more negative teenagers

jvava

emaan11

Pro

This is a general overview on the two sides.
White children tend to grow up with lower educational grades than Asians. They tend to drink and smoke more than Asians therefore damaging their body. They tend to be way more underage and pregnant. They tend to be more unemployed. They tend to be involve with the police more. They tend to be partying more. They tend to do drugs more. They tend to have jobs in sex jobs more. They tend to have sex more as teenagers. They tend to leave their homes more. They tend to disrespect their parents more. Why is this? Because of white parent standards and Asian parent standards.
jvava

Con

Hello. I am glad to be debating with you.

I want to start off by saying that I believe your argument is based on assumption rather than fact. You failed to cite any resources, and your arguments can be prove false with just a few, simple points.

1. "White children tend to grow up with lower educational grades than Asians."

This is an educational issue rather than a racial one. Let me explain.

Asians tend to populate states with higher educational rankings for all races - California, Hawaii, New York, etc. They tend to live and work in areas that have increased scores for students of all races - black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.

My point is that national surveys done comparing education between Asians and Whites are biased. A majority of Asians tend to populate states with higher educational scores. Whites live all over the place - in states with both high and low educational scores. The white educational ranking is increased in states like California, but is decreased by states like Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, etc.

There is a simple explanation to why Asians are stereotypically smarter - they live in states that offer better educational systems. They have a better chance at education in states like California, as do all the other races - but are not smarter than another race. It just depends on what state they live in; and Asians typically live and work in states that offer better education.

2. "They tend to drink and smoke more than Asians therefore damaging their body."

This point is invalid - we are talking about teenagers here. And since teen alcohol and smoking use is illegal, most teens - of all races - will lie about what they have actually done. There is no way to prove this correctly among teenagers.

3. "They (whites) tend to be way more underage and pregnant."

Although the Asian race does have less teen pregnancy, it is not WAY more. On graphs, Whites tend to be right behind Asians.

http://www.cdc.gov...

This website, provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, displays a graph that outlines the rates of teen pregnancy by race. Whites tend to be around 10 teen pregnancies per 1,000 teen females behind Asians, but consider this: Hispanics are behind Asians around 40 pregnancies per 1,000 female teenagers.

I also support the claim that this has to do with outside factors opposed to race. I just do not see why an Asian teen is less likely to become pregnant than a White teen simply because of race. It isn't logical.

Here is a statement provided by the CDC website:

"Teen birth rates declined for all races and for Hispanics except for 18–19 year old Asian/Pacific Islanders, for whom rates did not change. The decline was greatest for Hispanic teens, with a drop of 11% from 2010."

Although the rates of teen pregnancy are becoming smaller for most races, Asians aren't making any gains. While Hispanics, Whites, Blacks, Native Americans, etc continue improve their teen pregnancy rates, Asians haven't made any gains.

4. "They (whites) tend to be more unemployed."

"Indians and Alaska Natives (14.6 percent) had the highest unemployment rates, while Asians (7.0 percent) and Whites (7.9 percent) had the lowest."

http://www.bls.gov...

I pulled this statement off of an online article entitled: "Labor Force Characteristics by Race and Ethnicity, 2011."

This statistic does show a weak lead for Asians in the employment field; however, I believe that is has more to do with outside factors rather than race. The state with the highest Asian population is Hawaii, and has an unemployment ranking 4.3%, the fourth-lowest in the nation.

Look at every other state without a large Asian population and a high White population: not so good! Every southern state's employment record is between 8.9% and 6.9%. New England, a heavily White area, is between 9% and 6%, with the exception of Vermont.

What I am getting at is that states without high Asian population have a higher unemployment rate than those that do. It has nothing to do with race; it's the fact that Asians have settled in areas without major unemployment rates for all races. This is not a racial issue.

5. "They tend to be involve with the police more. They tend to be partying more. They tend to do drugs more. They tend to have jobs in sex jobs more. They tend to have sex more as teenagers. They tend to leave their homes more. They tend to disrespect their parents more."

Try to find polls, studies, etc. to prove these points.

These are assumptions.

How do you know that Asians aren't involved with the police more? How do you know they don't party more? How do you know they don't do as many illegal drugs (first off, who would confess this)? How do you know they don't have sex more? How do you know they don't tend to leave their homes more? How are you sure they don't disrespect their parents more?

You don't, because these are assumptions and stereotypes rather than fact. And that is your entire argument - assumption. Stereotype.

emaan11

Pro

emaan11 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

This isn't turning out to be much of a debate; even worse, my opponent's account has been cancelled. It seems as though this debate has come to an unfortunate end.

I'm upset - this topic excited me.

But it is still up to the voters, whether one opponent is present or not. In the end, vote for who made the better argument - vote for the one that based his argument off of fact rather than stereotype and assumption.
emaan11

Pro

emaan11 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

Again, consider conduct when voting on this debate. Even if you don't agree with me, look at the facts: I provided real statistics, real numbers. My opponent has offered nothing.
emaan11

Pro

emaan11 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

I'm not sure what to say at this point.

I will say that my argument is not based on assumption and stereotype, like my opponent's. They believe that Asians turn out better and smarter due to an old stereotype born in American misunderstanding.
emaan11

Pro

emaan11 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

I know this isn't much of a debate. Yet I would like to sum up my stance to the voters.

I believe that white children do not result in more negative teenagers compared to Asians. Asians tend to live in states and jurisdictions that have higher scores and other statistics overall for all races - white, African-American, Hispanic, and Asians. The reason whites are behind - not much, however - is because they are the majority in virtually every US state. The white statistics are boosted by areas that have good rankings overall (for all races) but are lagged because whites also live in states where results are behind.

I am simply trying to say that lumping the white race as a whole makes it appear as if they were lagging behind; however, a majority of whites have caught up or have even surpassed Asian statistics.

My opponent failed to cite resources and utilized a good bit of stereotype and assumption.

I ask voters to think about who honestly won this debate - not only in terms of convincing arguments, but also in terms of conduct.

Posted by NorthDebater 3 years ago
NorthDebater
I Honestly Want To Rip Pro's Fingers Off. "They tend" is all there is in his first arguement . No evidence?
Posted by LiliyanH 3 years ago
LiliyanH
Children of authoritarian upbringing.. Like those raised by Asian parents, are shown through research (Chen et al 1997- research in china) to have poor social functioning.. Being less resourceful and less adept than others.. Resulting in low social problems (such as sex.. Drinking.. Etc) .. But increasing personal emotional problems.. That are not expressed.., which, according to the research causes bursts of aggressive unpredictable behavior..

So in conclusion.. White kids act the problems out since fear is missing.. Asian kids keep them in since fear is added to the mix
Posted by NateTheFirst 3 years ago
NateTheFirst
If I wasn't already in a debate with him I would've taken it... I mean seriously, pro never used any source for his information. Also, there is more whites than asians in the world, thus leading to more possibilities. Look up a race population chart and see for yourself...
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
emaan11jvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate was about the statistics on White and Asian children, not about the reasons why the statistics are as observed. (Asian cultures in the US provide a greater emphasis on education and traditional values.) Con basically conceded all of the statistics, save the crime statistics which he just questioned and didn't dispute. Con introduced the idea that the areas of residence explained them, an unsustainable idea that Pro didn't hang around to question. Nonetheless, the debate was not about causes, and Con conceded too much of what is observed. Pro loses conduct for the forfeit. Con didn't introduce any new arguments after the forfeit, so it's scored as a two round debate.
Vote Placed by Stonewall 3 years ago
Stonewall
emaan11jvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: The content really speaks for itself. An explanation isn't really necessary.