Brenden-Lawrence
LincolnDouglas101

White people are less likely to commit crimes. (currently and in the US)

Brenden-Lawrence

Pro

Format:
First round is acceptance

Second, Third, and Fourth are arguments

Fifth is rebuttals (no new arguments)

I have three main points, I may add more throughout the debate

1. African Americans commit more homicides [1]

2. Most youth gang members are either African American or Latino [1]

3. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2002, the black arrest rate for robbery was 8.55 times higher than whites, and blacks were 16 times more likely to be incarcerated for robbery than non-Hispanic whites. [1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
LincolnDouglas101

Con

I would like to thank my opp. for a great start to this debate round.

First and foremost I will accept this debate round.

Now to

1) People that identify as white do not match with his studies.

First the definition of a "white person" by the United States Census Bureau (http://quickfacts.census.gov...)

1. White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian. Black or African American.

Under this (which offered no counter definition) all his contentions fall.
This is because ALL of his/her studies are focused on African Americans and Latin's and under this definition the people that all "not white" in his studies really are. This has a few impacts
A- His/her contention structure is inherently racist, he is assuming that skin color means a type of race
B- His/her contention structure and evidence has no relevance or place in this debate because it does not apply to the topic
C- All my contentions will remain under this definition

2) The definition of crime (http://www.merriam-webster.com...)

an action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law.
This has a few impacts
A- His contention structure seems to avoid in crime that is not murder of homicide, thus he has avoided over 80% of all crime in the United States
B- He does not show you the amount of crime that is, ALL of his relevant studies focus on the number of people convicted
1- He/she does not give you any clear reason to believe prosecution rates follow the number for people f each race
2- He/she excludes and other raises other than African American of Latino this show us that we do not know the full scope of the
problem
C- My definition excludes ANY federal offenses. His already irrelevant studies include federal prosecution thus they cannot be used

2) The resolution does not show you that the people even need to be caught for the crime they commuted

The resolution talks about commuting crime not being caught for them.

The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com...) reports to us that white and blacks use drugs (a crime) at the same rate but one is simply asserted more.

Even more surprising is what gets left out of the chart: Blacks are far more likely to be arrested for selling or possessing drugs than whites, even though whites use drugs at the same rate.

This has a few implications
A- He/she does not show you the amount of crime commuted, he/she shows you the number of people persecuted
B- Crime is committed but not persucted for whites, ethical problem in our country

In fact more whites sell drugs then African Americans and this has remained consent for more than 20 years, Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com...)

Whites were about 45 percent more likely than blacks to sell drugs in 1980, according to an analysis of the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth by economist Robert Fairlie. This was consistent with a 1989 survey of youth in Boston. My own analysis of data from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that 6.6 percent of white adolescents and young adults (aged 12 to 25) sold drugs, compared to just 5.0 percent of blacks (a 32 percent difference).

This shows us a few things
A- White people commit more crime in this area then any other race
B- This has remained consent throughout the years thus we find that the we can expected it to remain so, date issue

3) There is more white on white than any other race (http://www.vox.com...)

The FBI reports to us about the number of white people murdered (and caught)

Yet the disturbing truth, according to the fib's most recent homicide statistics, is that the United States is in the wake of an epidemic of white-on-white crime. Back in 2011, the most recent year for which data is available, a staggering 83 percent of white murder victims were killed by fellow Caucasians.

This is very important in this round for a few reasons
A- It shows that "whites" are not afraid to commit murder, destroying the "innocent" look the opponent tries to give them
B- Most murders happen within races

Refutation
You can look to all my previous responses but also to their source
Wkipedia considers themselves unreliable: (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Wikipedia is not considered a credible source. Wikipedia is increasingly used by people in the academic community, from freshman students to professors, as an easily accessible tertiary source for information about anything and everything. However, citation of Wikipedia in research papers may be considered unacceptable, because Wikipedia is not considered a credible or authoritative source.

Impacts:
A- All the oppents sources are from wikipedia, inorder for them to be considered valid in today's round he needs to site the actual source
B- He/she is destroying the academic nature of this debate
C- I site all sources from the original place or organ and use governmental or respected publishers

I look forward to a great debate
Brenden-Lawrence

Pro

Okay first off I just want to say that

1. That was just my acceptance round and that's why I only had one cite.
2. I was just listing my cases and I assumed you would list yours because like I said 1st round was acceptance (I would have elaborated if we were actually debating yet)
3. The first definition that comes up for white is "belonging to or denoting a human group having light-colored skin (chiefly used of peoples of European extraction)" So if you are African American and you identify as white, good for you.
4. I said I would add more arguments when the debate started so when you are saying that I avoided them, that is wrong. I merely had not written them down as arguments yet.
5. "My own analysis of data from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that 6.6 percent of white adolescents and young adults (aged 12 to 25) sold drugs, compared to just 5.0 percent of blacks (a 32 percent difference)." Wow a whopping 1.6 percent more.
6. "Back in 2011, the most recent year for which data is available, a staggering 83 percent of white murder victims were killed by fellow Caucasians." Quite a staggering number, but what you didn't take from that cite was that more than 90 percent of black murders are caused by blacks. Oh and lets take a look at this quote: "Blacks represent 13% of the population but commit 50% of the murders; 90% of black victims are murdered by other blacks." You can't just pick and choose from a cite.

Now we actually start

1. African Americans are more likely to commit homicides. Homicides arguably one of the worst crimes is committed by African Americans and Latinos more than whites.

Lets look at the definition of violent crime: "In the FBI"s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force."

There is about 5,375 murder cases a year that are committed by African Americans. About 1,000 more than whites.
(http://www.fbi.gov...)

2.
Race/Ethnicity of Gang Members (http://www.nationalgangcenter.gov...)
In 2011 46.2 percent of gang members were Latino, 35.3 percent were African American, 11.5 percent were white, 7.0 percent was other.

There are more Latinos and African Americans in gangs. That chart sums it up.

3. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2002, the black arrest rate for robbery was 8.55 times higher than whites, and blacks were 16 times more likely to be incarcerated for robbery than non-Hispanic whites. (http://en.wikipedia.org...) Even if this doesn't seem "credible" to you, just look it up. It's true.

4. This is interesting, "Nearly 50% of all black males will be arrested by the age of 23."

Also "a 2012 study by the Department of Justice"s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention revealed that in 2010 black youths committed six times more murders, three times more rapes, 10 times more robberies and three times more assaults than did their white counterparts."

And this too, "Similar statistics were released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the "Uniform Crime Reports." They determined, "In the year 2008, black youths, who make up 16% of the youth population, accounted for 52% of juvenile violent crime arrests, including 58% for homicide and 67% for robbery." By contrast, the only categories where white youths surpassed blacks were in liquor law violations and driving under the influence."
(http://americanfreepress.net...)

5. The African American incarceration rate is 6 times that of the national average.
There is also this sad fact: "The incarceration rate for American-Americans is so high that young black men without a high school diploma are more likely to go to jail than to find a job, thereby causing the breakup of families and instilling further poverty upon them."
(http://rt.com...)
What is more surprising is the fact that there are more whites so therefore you would think they would have the most arrests of all.

6. According to a new study, the average time an African American is in jail is 60 percent longer.

In federal cases, black defendants faced average sentences of 60 months, while the average for white defendants was only 38 months.
The report concludes that sentence disparities "can be almost completely explained by three factors: the original arrest offense, the defendant"s criminal history, and the prosecutor"s initial choice of charges."

(http://www.allgov.com...)

Thanks for accepting but look at the format next time. I was just setting up my main points and then was going to elaborate and add more later on.
LincolnDouglas101

Con

Again NONE of his/her sources abide by my defintion for "white person" by the UNITED STATES CENSUS BERUEA. Thus none of his points are valied. His/her personal defintion does not trump the United States Governments.

Thus extend all my point and drop his/hers.
Brenden-Lawrence

Pro

"White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian."

"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "Black, African Am., or Negro"; or report entries such as African American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."

This is copied directly from that cite. You made that last part up therefore how can anyone trust any of your facts?
LincolnDouglas101

Con

LincolnDouglas101 forfeited this round.
Brenden-Lawrence

Pro

Man I was really looking forward to your response since you lied.
LincolnDouglas101

Con

LincolnDouglas101 forfeited this round.
Brenden-Lawrence

Pro

Brenden-Lawrence forfeited this round.
LincolnDouglas101

Con

LincolnDouglas101 forfeited this round.
Posted by WhiteFlower 2 years ago
WhiteFlower
No. I don't agree.
They are most likely to get off the hook and get their asses covered for.
They are also less likely to get harassed by the police.
They are MUCH most likely to be heads of the police department.
Posted by Brenden-Lawrence 2 years ago
Brenden-Lawrence
White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian. Black or African American.

You added the last part, " Black or African American."