ConfluxReflux
kyleniel

Whites are NOT more responsible for school shootings than other races

kyleniel has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 4 days ago Status: Debating Period

ConfluxReflux

Pro

Show me some evidence that whites are more responsible for school shootings than any other race then I will argue with you.
kyleniel

Con

A good chunk of school shooters is comprised of white people.
ConfluxReflux

Pro

Sources are at the bottom

Nope, except for the male part, but that is linked to biology.

Yes, it is true that it is more likely that whites will commit a school shooting. But as of 2017, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 76.6% of people in the United States are white. According to Statistia, school shooters who committed shootings from 1982 to February 2018 have about a 57.7% chance of being white. That means whites commit school shootings 14.7% less than they should be. Now let"s say we need to blame it on a race, which I do not think is what we need to do, but I am kind of curious.

What race is doing this most often?

African Americans

African Americans, which make up 13.3% of the United States population, have committed shootings about 16.5% of the time. This means African Americans are committing school shootings 3.2% more than they should be.

Latinos

Latinos only commit about 7.22% of the time, and 17.8% of people in the United States are Latino. Also, the percentage of people who are Latino may be even higher, since so many are illegal and don"t want to get caught. This means Latinos commit school shootings at most 10.58% less than we should be.

Asians

As well commit 7.22% of school shootings. 5.7% of people in the United States are Asian. This means Asians commit school shootings 1.52% more than they should be.

So if we have to blame a race, the races we should blame if we want to be total jerks from least to greatest is:

White people?!?!

Latinos!

Asians!

And

African Americans!

Now should we be blaming this on African Americans?

Hell no.

But, just needed to throw this out there. The whites are not to blame.

Checkmate.

https://www.census.gov...
https://www.statista.com...
https://www.quora.com...
kyleniel

Con

Yes, but the size of a group affects the statistics. If a black man and a white man rob a store, there would a different statistic depending on their location.
ConfluxReflux

Pro

What are you talking about? This is all happening in the United States. Explain yourself in more than 2 sentences. Write at least 5, preferably 10. I did my homework, you can probably do yours.
kyleniel

Con

I'm talking about basic logic. It doesn't matter where it happens, disparate statistics based on ethnicity exist everywhere. I'm at three sentences. Although the size of an argument isn't related to the quality of its content. Whether or not you researched a point isn't related to if your point is good or not. There are many people who are Atheists/Theists/Agnostics/Etc. who lack a degree in theology, but one of them must be at least somewhat correct.
ConfluxReflux

Pro

Are my sources correct? Yes. Is my math correct? Yes. Is my logic correct? Yes, but no according to you. It does make sense. If the percent of races committing school shootings the same percentage as their presence in the U.S., then there would be no blame on any race, but since the percentage of African American presence in the U.S. is lower than the percent of mass school shootings done by African Americans, African Americans logically should be blamed more than Latinos or whites, who have a lower percentage of mass school shootings by their race than their presence in the U.S.
Posted by dukeofpanda 4 days ago
dukeofpanda
You are twisting the statistics. The topic is school shootings, but the statistics encompass all mass shootings. In poverty stricken neighborhoods, largely inhabited by minorities, where gang violence is prevalent you will find a higher occurrence of mass shootings. This would account for the proportion of mass shootings documented in the statistics provided.

School shootings though, that is not mentioned in the statistics and IS predominantly a white people thing. Mass shootings among minorities happens within their communities. White people will kill people at concerts, church, and schools more often.

Bottom line is that your statistics are inconclusive in regard to school shootings.
Posted by Shadowstalker55 4 days ago
Shadowstalker55
Most of the school shootings I know of were done by whites. The only school shooting I can think of that wasn"t committed by a white was the Virginia Tech shooting. I"m not stating this in the sense for identity politics I"m just stating this as a consensus.