Whitewater Rafting is a Great Way to Spend the Day on a River

Started: 9/7/2008 Category: Sports

Rivers have always been a source of fun, adventure, and relaxation. People go to rivers to cool down, admire the beauty of nature, and just get away from the complexities of life. That being said, whitewater rafting is a great way to spend the day on a river.

Whitewater rafting combines all of the aforementioned benefits of the river into one extremely enjoyable activity.
-The fun comes from spending the day with friends and family.
-The adventure comes from paddling through turbulent rapids.
-The relaxation comes from the calm, flat sections of the river where no work needs to be done
-What better was is there to cool down then to jump in the river or get soaked by a rapid?
-It is impossible not to admire the beauty of nature on a river, even the East River in New York.
-Unless all of your problems come from a river, a river is a great place to get away from the complexities of life.

Rivers have also been sources of death, tragedy, and trauma to thousands of people all over the world. The hot weather can be scorching, causing sunburn, the water can be cold, causing hypothermia if someone falls in, can't swim, and is alone. 50 people died from whitewater rafting alone, in the year 2006. (Source:

Whitewater rafting can combine all of the aforementioned disadvantages of the river into one extremely traumatic experience.

-Some parents bring their children along to participate in activities, regardless of whether they want to or not. This can cause strained relationships between the parents and children, and if the children are treated in such a way, they can turn our troubled or disturbed.
-Turbulent rapids can also cause people to be tipped out of the raft, and can cause death. This is hardly enjoyable.
-Whitewater rafting is not done for relaxation. It is done for the thrill and the adrenaline rush that can come from such a risky and altogether unsafe activity.
-You spelled "way" wrong. Also, as I have previously stated, rivers can be extremely cold, and cause shock, hypothermia, and many other coldness/water related death/injury.
-Stating that everyone thinks the same way about a single thing is ignorant. Unless you were to ask every single person alive whether they thought the river is "beautiful", and have proof that they were telling the truth, you could not make such a statement and expect it to be a valid argument.
-Your last statement does not make sense, and is a jumbled bunch of words that are painful to try to understand. It is impossible for peoples' problems to come from one source, and this last statement of yours is an opinion, not a fact, therefore, not a logical argument.

Unfortunately, rivers like any body of water can be dangerous is someone is not prepared. Lucky for us, whitewater rafting companies in the US follow strict safety protocols to ensure that your trip down the river is as safe as possible. Heck, with over 40,000 deaths from automobile accidents per year in the US you are more likely to die driving to the river than on the river itself. (Source:

The odds that whitewater rafting will combine all of the disadvantages mentioned in your previous debate into one extremely traumatic experience are slim to none.

1. One incident of a parent bringing a child whitewater rafting when they don't want to will not make that child troubled or disturbed. Psychological ramifications take many events and sometimes years to develop.

2. We've already established that whitewater rafting can be dangerous, but it is only as dangerous as you want it to be. Furthermore, we've already established that you are more likely to die or get injured driving to the river than on the river itself.

3. Whitewater rafting is done for relaxation, fun, and adventure. Most rivers are not constant whitewater so that leaves sometimes large sections for relaxation. Furthermore, when you are just a passenger and someone else is rowing you get to relax about 80% of the time.

4. Hooray! You caught my strategically placed typo. I was waiting to see if you caught it. I'm glad you're paying attention. Every reasonably prudent person knows that rivers can be cold and can cause cold related injuries. That is why whitewater rafters where proper exposure protection. If you look up the statistics you'll see that most cold related injuries in rivers are not from rafters.

5. I never said that a river was beautiful, nor did I say that I thought everyone thinks rivers are beautiful. I simply stated that it is impossible to ignore the beauty of nature while on a river. Truth is, it is impossible to ignore the beauty of nature. The area around a river has everything you could possibly want from nature.

6. Re-read my last statement and look at my opening paragraph. The statement makes perfect sense. My original statement was that a river is the perfect place to get away from the complexities of life. I supported this argument in point six by saying "Unless all of your problems come from a river, a river is a great place to get away from the complexities of life". A river is a great way to get away from the complexities of life.

I enjoyed this debate. Thank you for taking the time to debate me.

Just because you have a lower chance of dying from an activity than driving a car does not mean that you cannot die from it, or that it is a great thing. More people die from car crashes than they do from Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD), but you can still conclude than cars, in general, are better than Adrenoleukodystrophy.

The odds are not slim to none, as I have given you statistics that they HAVE, in fact, been combined into one extremely traumatic experience, many times. This is, of course, considering that death by whitewater rafting is a traumatic experience.

Your first two points are attempting to refute my arguments, without any evidence or statistics given to prove that your rebuttal is accurate.

3. I have already successfully refuted this point, and all you did was simply restate the point which I have already refuted, next time, attempt to refute my refutations, please.

4. Thank you for the extreme sarcasm :) And again, you spelled "wear" wrong. Also, I never stated that "the most cold-related injuries come from rafters". I never stated that one. I stated that whitewater rafting can cause cold-related injuries. Next time, try to refute my actual statement, and not a statement you forced on me, thanks.

5. You both said that rivers are beautiful and you also said that everyone thinks that rivers are beautiful. You said, and I quote: "It is impossible not to admire the beauty of nature on a river". Nature would INCLUDE rivers, therefore, you DID say that everyone thinks rivers are beautiful, since you stated that it was impossible to think otherwise.

2: excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement

There is room for improvement in rivers. If there was not, no deaths would result. Deaths have resulted. Thus, a river is not perfect.

Since I have successfully refuted all of your points, and you have failed to refute any of mine, I would ask that the audience vote in my favor.

Thank you for the debate. I enjoyed it.
Posted by Freshiequest 8 years ago
Haha, my typo skills are funny... Ironic that posted a second grammar mistake while correcting my first one.
Vote Placed by DylanAsdale 8 years ago