barbaranichetti
Tonnosi

Who have the right to choose the kids treatments?

barbaranichetti

Pro

Should parents be able to choose whether their child (under 18) receives or does not receive treatment for an illness/disease, due to religious preferences/beliefs, even if the treatment is know to work and the child will die?
Tonnosi

Con

First I would like to say thank you to Pro for posting such an interesting and perhaps even controversial question.

This is a topic that many feel differently about, some might say that its a parents right alone to decide what is best for their child.

I believe this to be wrong. My main reasons are as follows.

The right to life. To deny someone medical treatment that could save their life is in fact denying that person the right to live. No person should be able to decide whether a person lives or dies if it is not necessary for that person to die. I say "not necessary" because of course in cases of self defense sometimes its a your life or theirs.

It could be likened to abuse. In society today we do not tolerate child abuse of any form. I think everyone agrees that child abuse is wrong. Well then i say to you, would this not be child abuse ? If beating a child to death is abuse then denying child life saving treatment is surely abuse.

I come now to religious belief. Religious belief in this case should only apply to your own self. If you do not think blood transfusions are a good thing then that's fine. But that does not mean you have the right to deny them to someone else. Your own belief should remain private to you and should not be projected onto other people regardless of their relation to you. People should be left to formulate their own beliefs based on their own experiences, this should apply to every person of all ages. From this we can then say that by denying your child treatment you are projecting your beliefs onto your child which is unfair.

I will conclude this round by saying that it is a doctors duty to help those in need of medical attention, there should be no choice for the parents, if a child needs medical attention to allow it to have a chance at life then that medical attention should be given. Once you reach the legal age of 18 then and only then can you decide not to have treatment should you need it.
barbaranichetti

Pro

barbaranichetti forfeited this round.
Tonnosi

Con

I am going to assume, that this debate is dead.

Unless there were extenuating circumstances, I find this pretty rude.
barbaranichetti

Pro

barbaranichetti forfeited this round.
Tonnosi

Con

To conclude.

As only i have put forward an argument, only my case has been heard.

i have nothing else to add.