matthewevan23
violetviolin

Who is at fault in the Golden Calf Story?

violetviolin

matthewevan23

Pro

In Exodus, we see a Golden Calf created. God isn't happy about this. I believe it is God's fault for not setting up the Israelites for success. He should have employed more preparation and communication.
violetviolin

Con

I would first like to thank my opponent for the debate.

My opponent states that God did not set the Israelites up for success, nor did he communicate adequately or prepare the Israelites. For background info, here is the chapter on the Golden calf (Exodus 32) http://www.biblegateway.com...:

When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods[a] who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.” 2 Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” 3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods,[b]Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” 5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a festival to theLord.” 6 So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry. 7 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’

1.) I would first like to point out that in this chapter, Aaron, the high priest of the Israelites, who was supposed to know God better than almost everyone at the time (with the exception of Moses) was left in charge. God left someone that was knowledgeable on his commands and decrees and who had authority over the Israelites in charge. This should have been sufficient preparation in of itself.

2.) God had also provided laws to all of the people of the land prior to this, which explained that he was to be the only God they worshipped. Exodus 22 (http://www.biblegateway.com...):
20 “Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the Lord must be destroyed.
If this does not clearly state that having other gods to whom of make sacrifices is bad, nothing does. This verse also explained that he told them that he would be angry if they did not comply.
matthewevan23

Pro

matthewevan23 forfeited this round.
violetviolin

Con

I extend all of my arguments because my opponent has failed to respond to any of them. None of my opponents arguments stand because my opponent failed to respond to my arguments.
matthewevan23

Pro

matthewevan23 forfeited this round.
violetviolin

Con

I would like to yet again extend all of my arguments. I provided actual scriptural evidence to support my point, while my opponent did not, and I explained why this evidence mattered and was true, while my opponent did not even explain his opening argument. You have to look to my arguments that God is not at fault because I have proven that he prepared them through educating a man of authority in his commands. The fact that Aaron did not complete his duty, is not God's fault but the Israelites. I have also proven that God communicated with the Israelites on this exact topic through my second verse. The fact that they chose to not listen to what God has to say is the Israelites fault, not God's. If your parents told you, for example, that you were not allowed to have a party while they were gone, and left a babysitter with you who also had this knowledge, they would not be at fault if you chose to disobey them, and would have the right to be angry. This is the exact scenario that occurred with the Israelites. Therefore, I encourage you to vote con, as I sufficiently prove my point and my opponent proves nothing.

I would like to again thank my opponent for starting this debate.
Vote Placed by Haroush 3 years ago
Haroush
matthewevan23violetviolinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited and didn't even attempt to debate Con after Con had made his case.
Vote Placed by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
matthewevan23violetviolinTied