Who is more AWESOME: Gandalf or Dumbledore?

Con Tied Pro

This first post will serve as an informational post for the debate. There will be a total of four rounds - one information/acceptance round and three actual debate rounds.

The refined question: Which of the two fantasy characters - Gandalf Stormcrow and Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - is more AWESOME given their history, powers, and other unique attributes?

PRO - You will be arguing on behalf of Gandalf.
CON - I will be arguing on behalf of Dumbledore.

1. We will be using the following scale to rate awesome: Pee-wee Herman (1) - Chuck Norris (10).
2. Keep it cool, keep it kind, keep it awesome.

I will assume the actual debate begins in Round 2, as my opponent has failed to make an actual point.

However, I must point one thing out. My opponent has created an "awesome slider" with little idea on how to use it. How is this slider used? He also bases his slider on internet memes not based in fact. No givens can be assumed in a debate.

I look forward to arguing for Gandalf in R2.

"It's lucky it's dark...I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs." [1]

Who was Albus Dumbledore? That is a question we have to ask ourselves before this entire debate even begins. I have provided the above quotation in hopes of giving the audience a bit of insight into this brilliant man's life. However, what was the man behind the metaphorical loony mask really about? Better yet, how and what makes him better than one Gandalf Stormcrow?

I believe we should start at the beginning. "Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore was born to Kendra and Percival Dumbledore in the summer of 1881," [2] and by the end of his life in the books - 1998 - this would make him a whopping 117-years-old. With age comes wisdom, sure. However, as my opponent is sure to argue, Gandalf was much, much older. But, really, how much wiser was he? Arguably, he wasn't.

Though Gandalf was wise for his years, he often placed himself in the part of the reactionary; a wizard that found himself frantically trying to catch up to the plans set forth by his enemy. Tell me, if he was so wise, why was he so disinclined to actually enact a plan to save Middle Earth? That just goes to show the extent of his powers.

Dumbledore, on the other hand, proved how wise he was. Over the course of seven books - debunking the idea that Gandalf was ignorant for book continuity purposes - you learned that not only had Dumbledore, in his light and airy attitude, have a firm grasp of all that would happen to him and others around him, but also enacted a plan that would inevitably lead to the achievement of his goal - even after death.

Given this data as sole basis of a battle, Dumbledore would be the one running the show where Gandalf would be trying his best just to keep up. I ask the audience to imagine a spider's web where Dumbledore is the spider and Gandalf is the fly. How awesome can you be all wrapped up in spider butt silk? Tally a point for Dumbledore.

Going back to Dumbledore's birth time and place, we'll realize that they're fantasized but still very realistic. When was PRO's Gandalf born? You won't find a date. In fact, some believe that he wasn't ever "born". How much can you trust a man that doesn't have a birthday? You can't. Nor can you ever fully relate to him. As you were born, you will never have the chance to be a Gandalf. However, your chances of becoming a Dumbledore statistically improve day-by-day. [3] How awesome would it be to become one of the most powerful wizards in the Wizarding World? Very. It's also more probable.

While on the object of power, let's take a look at what both Gandalf and Dumbledore have to offer. I will start with Gandalf just because he has virtually none. It becomes blatantly clear that J.R.R. Tolkien used the idea of wizard as pertaining to philosopher. Gandalf's shows of power are limited - and, as petty as it seems, pretty lame. So far, he has shown the ability to shoot a fireball, conduct lightning with metal (a sword), use a bright light to drive away evil, and create a shield of light against fire. Awesome? Less than. Poor? You bet.

Dumbledore, on the other hand, has a very complex grasp of and power when it comes to magic. It has been proven throughout the books that he has a very versatile arsenal of spells - all of which he doesn't need to voice, and for most of which he needs no wand (or staff) - which again, given the data provided to us, would leave Gandalf wanting. Dumbledore's mastery of magic and his ability to use it in such an impromptu way would completely enable Dumbledore to effectively defeat Gandalf in a duel. In this case, more power equals more awesome.

I decided to keep this argument knee-deep seeing as how I would like to allow my opponent the ability to try and bring up points about Gandalf without effectively dismissing them myself and without his help. Thus, without further adieu, the floor is yours.

Johnny_Hellfire forfeited this round.

Williaam forfeited this round.

Johnny_Hellfire forfeited this round.

Williaam forfeited this round.

Johnny_Hellfire forfeited this round.
Posted by Williaam 5 years ago
To each his own, I guess!
Posted by Johnny_Hellfire 5 years ago
I take fun debates seriously and vice versa. That's all the fun.
Posted by Williaam 5 years ago
I'd like to point out that the first post was informal and I actually did list that the first posts were for informational purposes and that the actual debating would begin in the second round. It's in the first sentence. Anyway, that being said, you're taking this way too seriously. xD
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 3 years ago