MonkeyKing
Phoeni

Who is responsible for poor English, Students or Parents

MonkeyKing has forfeited round #3.

MonkeyKing

Pro

From my opinion , fault are on students because they are going to school, not their parents. Parents only teach them the moral values , they cant come to school with them and study with them. In past the education system were not good so parents at that time didnt have much knowledge but its time for their generation to improve it. but they didnt want it to. then the fault is on who
Phoeni

Con

Before I'd like to start, good luck to my opponent. My opponent pointed out that "Parents only teach them the moral values, they can't come to school with them and study with them". These moral values, however have a large impact on how the student chooses to study and how hard they wish to try. Discipline is key from parents to produce a good student, as without proper discipline from parents students will not care so much about school and English. Students work a lot harder from the fear of being punished by by their parents if they get bad grades. If the parents do not properly discipline their children in the event of a bad grade or result, the student will continue to slack off and neglect their grades, further worsening their performance on the English subject.
MonkeyKing

Pro

My dear opponent. You've mentioned discipline . For a student, discipline just apart of them and not from the parents. If they feared for parents that they will punished, don't the student have self conscious to think what can do what cant do? Student future is in their hand not in parents. They just simply haven't try anything or just not understand the subject. There is a old age saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink". It must felt by itself.
Phoeni

Con

If a student does not understand a subject, the parent could lead them to a better understanding. The saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can not make it drink" is true, however it is not entirely true. The better a parent leads a student to success, the better they will actually succeed into actually doing well into the subject. Discipline can be instilled by parents which causes the stufent to have self consciousness and actually try in the subject. As I pointed out before, without discipline from parents means the students will slack off and not try hard enough.
Posted by KostasT.1526 8 months ago
KostasT.1526
Multiple factors can be to blame. Students, parents, teachers, educational system, the family's economical situation etc.
Posted by tlforal 8 months ago
tlforal
Part Two: Joining the debate on debate.com

I am choosing this debate because I believe good parents will spend the necessary time with their children in the Pre-K years so that their education is off to a positive start. I argue parenting has almost collapsed in many households around the country and student performance in English is a result of that.Taking this further, your assumption that because the student is in school and so should be responsible for their own education re enforces my belief that poor parenting is the cause.
I cannot confirm my own assumption giving the time constraint of these discussions and the lack of involvement in the debate I chose.
I was not surprised by the debater's assumption that the student and not the parent are at fault for poor English skills. We seem to have this problem of not accepting responsibility in today's world.
It would be interesting to actually interview students about their home life and education support and then correlate the findings to success in school.
No new perspectives due to the lack of debate by other participants.
I did not have a counter so I have no evidence that would change my position
Posted by tlforal 8 months ago
tlforal
I am choosing this debate because I believe good parents will spend the necessary time with their children in the Pre-K years so that their education is off to a positive start. I argue parenting has almost collapsed in many households around the country and student performance in English is a result of that.