IAlwaysWinDebates
Gustav_Adolf_II

Who is responsible for the Death's of Romeo and Juliet.

Gustav_Adolf_II
Started: 5/29/2014 Category: Arts

IAlwaysWinDebates

Con

Hello my old friend I am here today to debate you on whom you think is responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.

Rounds:
1) Acceptance/opening statement
2) Arguments/ rebuttals
3) Arguments/closeing statement
Gustav_Adolf_II

Pro

I accept your challenge IALWAYSWINDEBATES, hopefully this will turn out better than our last debate.

Who is responsible for the deaths of romeo and juliet? That is a very complicated question with no clear answer, you could find evidence in the script that supports anyone being at least partially at fault (exept paris, he was I think the one innocent person in the play.). So I'll just argue that everyone (exept paris) shares some of the responsibility for the deaths of either romeo, juliet or both.

Your argument please.
IAlwaysWinDebates

Con

My, thank you for accepting in a timely mannor, and it is nice to see you getting back into the whole debating thing insted of answering polls all day.

First off I must say Everyone in the play of Romeo and Juliet is responsible for their deaths, even Paris. Through out the play, you can tie most everything together starting off with the fight (fued) between the two house's (Capulet and Montague), next step was simple, Lord Montague giveing the serving boy (Whom cannot read) the letter with the invitations to the party which was given to him by Lord Montague- (Act 1 Scene 2), of which through this letter Romeo finds out that Roseiline will be there, in such he attends, focourse he wouldnt get their with out the help of Mercutio and Benvolio. Once getting to the party he finds his belovied Roseiline with another man throwing him into a despare; and then after a split second he sees Juliet, her stunning looks capture him imedietly.

Second, mid way through the party Lord Montague gets word that Romeo is there; but he does nothing of which possibly if he was to have he may have stopped the connection between Romeo and Juliet but scence he didnt it was too late.

Now lets skip ahead a little to Romeo and Juliet going to the Friar (Lawerance) of which highly encourages them to stay together which is by no means a good idea, and once Juliet goes home she head strait to the Nurse seeking her help whom also ends up encraging the "get-together" of Romeo and Juliet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll leave it there for now being constricted on time but tomarrow the winner shall be decided. Or over the next week you know, how ever long it takes I mean no rush.
Gustav_Adolf_II

Pro

First of all, it was Lord Capulet that was throwing the party, not Montague.

Also, you have not shown any evidence that Count Paris was in any way personally responsible for the deaths of either of the star-crossed lovers. Sure, you could argue that if Juliet wasn't being forced to marry him, then she wouldn't have had to 'kill' herself to prevent from being married. But that just means it was her parents fault for forcing her to marry Paris! It didn't have to be Paris it could have been any old bloke! And Paris, as far as characters in Shakespear plays goes, was a pretty nice guy. The only thing violent he did in the play was when he dueled Romeo- who at the time was trying to break into the Capulet's catacombes. Paris didn't know that Romeo and Juliet even knew each other, let alone that they were man and wife as well as lovers. All he knew is that the Montagues hated the Capulets and did anything to hurt them when they had the opportunity. Count Paris was only trying to protect the body of his now deceased fiance, and what does he get for this act of chivalry? Death! Paris was an innocent caught in the middle of the ultimate family feud.

Other than your misconception that Lord Montague was throwing the party where Romeo and Juliet met, I agree with most of your points. But where in the play does it say that Romeo saw Rosaline with another man, and that's when he decided to look for other women. I believe it went like this:

In the first scene with Romeo in it, we already find out that Rosaline has rejected him. Then, Benvolio suggests that he find someone else to fall in love with. After he reads the letter of the serving man who cannot read, he learns that Rosaline will be there, hoping to get Rosaline back, Romeo goes to the party. But when he gets there, all he sees is the fair Juliet. Rosaline is never in the Party scene and there is no evidence that she even attended the party, only that she was invited.

I look forward to the rest of your argument, as well as your rebuttle and concluding statement.
IAlwaysWinDebates

Con

IAlwaysWinDebates forfeited this round.
Gustav_Adolf_II

Pro

I am sorry you ran out of time to post your debate, we can continue this on another one if you wish. Unless you want to concede to me that is.
Posted by cosecant 2 years ago
cosecant
Great...
Vote Placed by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
IAlwaysWinDebatesGustav_Adolf_IITied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. A clear Pro/Con position would be a good idea next time.
Vote Placed by emmalynn 2 years ago
emmalynn
IAlwaysWinDebatesGustav_Adolf_IITied
Reasons for voting decision: pro had better reasonings and more support for his thoughts