jmanstar
sirdebatesalot

Who is the best mixed martial arts fighter pound for pound? Anderson Silva

jmanstar

Pro

With a mixed martial arts record of 16-4, I currently believe that Anderson "The Spider" Silva is the best MMA fighter around pound for pound. After loosing his first fight to Luiz Azeredo, he went on to go on a win streak that spanned three organizations (Meca, SHOOTO, and Pride Fighting Championships). He has defeated the likes of Jeremy Horn, Lee Murray, Jorge Rivera, Chris Leben, and of course, Rich Franklin.

With pin point striking accuracy and a black belt in Brazzilian Jujutsu, he is a well rounded fighter.
sirdebatesalot

Con

Even though Silva is a great fighter, I am going to have to say that Georges St. Pierre is better. He dominates while on his fett with strong accurate punching, while destroying opponenets when they go to the floor. All around, he is dominating the fighting leagues. With his strong team behind him, he definatly is the best fighter.
jmanstar

Pro

Well, I agree that George St. Pierre is an amazing fighter, but he can't compete with Anderson Silva in terms of striking accuracy. Another thing I believe that Anderson Silva beats George St. Pierre in is his Brazzillian Ju Jutsu. Anderson Silva has a black belt in Brazzilian Ju jutsu and has 3 wins through submission under his belt.
sirdebatesalot

Con

Even though Silva could beat St. Pierre in JuJitzu, he would still lose on the ground. Even though St. Pierre isn't the greatest grappeler, he still has some hard punches and hammerfists on the ground. If St. Pierre would be stupid enough to grapple with Silva, then the tides start to turn, but otherwise, St. Pierre is still a harder puncher, and a faster opponenet than Silva. Overall, St. Pierre over Silva
jmanstar

Pro

jmanstar forfeited this round.
sirdebatesalot

Con

There we go you did not post so basically all I have to do is this.
Georges St. Pierre is an all-around better fighter than Anderson Silva.
Posted by stuntmancoble 8 years ago
stuntmancoble
At this point, there can be no doubt that the top pound for pound mma fighter is Anderson Silva. No other fighter on the planet has dominated champions like he has. His two fights with Rich Franklin were tko's. He destroyed Dan Henderson, who was on everyone's top 3 list before the fight and had never been knocked out. The same Dan Henderson who fought current heavyweight champ Noguiera twice and won one of them. Henderson also went the distance with another champ, Rampage. It only took him 9 punches (100% connect rate), to knock out one of the best chins in mma-Chris Leben. He tapped out Travis Lutter, who is not just a brazilian jiu jitsu black belt, but considered among the best grapplers in the country.

Based on level of competition and decicevness of victory, there is NO ONE better than Anderson Silva.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
I'm not trying to argue that Serra is a top level elite fighter, merely that he isn't a can. If Serra is a can, than pretty much anybody who isn't top level is a can and he can be grouped together with any bum from King of the Cage.

Know who is a can? Hong Man Choi. That's why it doesn't matter that Fedor fought three weeks ago. Before Choi he fought a middleweight, before that he fought Mark Hunt who despite great skill has an iffy record. Before that he fought Mark Coleman. Before that Zulu. Basically, the last time he fought someone who should have been competing at the elite level was August of 2005. I never said I was dropping Fedor for inactivity, I said for lack of facing top competition.

There is no official rankings, but from the various sources that do create a top 10, it's not that tough to give a 3-5 spot leeway and figure out who are most well regarded in the fight world.

Penn trumps Pierre. Because he won the first round? No matter how great he looked, he LOST the fight. And I don't just mean by the judges scorecards, either. By the system in place he lost two of the three rounds and GSP got the win. I find it so amusing how you can give Penn so much credit for a fight that he lost. You're putting BJ as better due to what you see in him talent wise, not based all in reality. Since coming back to the UFC he's 2-2.

St. Pierre hasn't proven himself...who have they beaten who could be (unofficially!) ranked?

Penn: Stevenson, Gomi, Hughes and Uno. Looking at the rest of his record I'm actually surprised as I thought he'd beaten more top fighters.

GSP: Hughes x2, PENN, Koscheck, Sherk, Trigg and Parisyan.

Even if you argue about the placement of one or two of the fighters they've beaten, it's at least pretty close.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric

Posted by Cobjob 9 years ago
Cobjob
Serra 6-4 in his last 10 fights. Not against high class opponents either. Pierr has NEVER had a title defense! best pound for pound! He still has to prove he is the best at 170. The division is weak right now and he can't even climb to the top of it.

As for dropping Fedor due to inactivity, he fought three weeks ago. he is 24-0 in his last 24 fights. I have a feeling you won't be arguing against Fedor.

Where do you see top ten fighters? There is no offical fight rankings. I'd like to see where you are getting that.

Penn still trumps Pierre. You claim Pierre fight heavy, B.J. is a natural light weight, and he beat the crap out of Pierre for 5 min and Pierre did almost no damage the whole fight.

I'm not saying GSP isn't going to be great, I'm just saying he hasn't proved much yet.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
Matt Serra is a can? Do you even watch MMA? He certainly wasn't top 10 at the time of the upset, but to say he's a can really just shows your lack of knowledge, he has some serious skills.

BJ Penn also deserves a lot of consideration for best pound for pound, so using the close battle he had with GSP merely works to boost both of their credentials.

Randy Couture is great but there's no way you can consider him best pound for pound. He's only got a 66% winning percentage...he's 6-4 in his last 10 fights. It seems he should have the skills to be in consideration but his results just aren't consistent enough.

For St. Pierre, he's 8-2 in his last ten fights. Six of those were against top 10 fighters (at the time and some still) and one was a very game Jason Miller.

If we're basing the rankings based purely on skill, I can't argue against GSP. If we're taking recent events into account (as we should) I don't think I can put him over Silva until he finishes Serra.
Posted by Cobjob 9 years ago
Cobjob
Didn't Georges lose a fight recently to a can... yes, yes he did.
How about some love for Penn! If you watched that fight Penn had him dead to rights in the first round, then Penn gassed and they danced around each other for two rounds. Penn did far more damage. He did lose the D, but I would be willing to list a string of fights where UFC judges have proved to be reterded drooling apes.
Love for "The Natural" 40+ year old steps up a class and dominates the champ. Throw in a defense.
Fedor was already mentioned.
Silva has a big fight coming up, I would throw his name up there if he pulls out the W.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
Haha Tatarize I hate to tell you but you have no idea what pound for pound means do you?

The point of pound for pound rankings is to establish who is the most skilled and talented fighter despite weight classes. Of course a heavyweight at 240 would crush a 145 lb fighter, but that doesn't mean the lighter fighter can't be more skilled.

That being said, St. Pierre actually cuts weight from about 185-190 to fight at 170, so come fight time his weight would be nearly identical to what Anderson Silva fights at. If I recall correctly Silva doesn't cut much weight if any, and fights at his natural weight.

Weight cutting is quite common. Joe Riggs cut weight to fight at 170 and for one of his fights was over 200 lbs by the time the fight started. Just part of the game.

Addressing the topic at hand, I do think that Fedor is still the pound for pound best, but I do agree that if making a p4p ranking I would have to drop him from #1 thanks to his lack of top competition lately.
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
This is a joke right? You do realize that Georges St. Pierre is 15 pounds lighter and could whoop Silva right? It's hard to be pound for pound the best MMA fighter when somebody lighter than you can whoop you.
Vote Placed by brokenboy 6 years ago
brokenboy
jmanstarsirdebatesalotTied
Vote Placed by jmanstar 8 years ago
jmanstar
jmanstarsirdebatesalotTied
Vote Placed by Black.Nite17 9 years ago
Black.Nite17
jmanstarsirdebatesalotTied
Vote Placed by Cobjob 9 years ago
Cobjob
jmanstarsirdebatesalotTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
jmanstarsirdebatesalotTied
Vote Placed by sirdebatesalot 9 years ago
sirdebatesalot
jmanstarsirdebatesalotTied