gr8laker
dancampbell869

Who should be the Republican Presidential candidate in 2016?

gr8laker

Pro

The first thing my opponent should know is that we are not debating on one particular person. Rather, we are sharing each of our opinions: who is the best choice for the Republican nomination for President in 2016 (assuming that he/she will face Hillary Clinton). You can also introduce who you think the VP nominee should be, if you want.

I believe that Florida senator Marco Rubio is the ideal candidate of president. He is young, handsome, and energetic, plus he is from Florida, Hispanic, and has an incredible background. His story embodies the American Dream. For VP, I would go with Rob Portman. He is the senator from Ohio with years of experience. He also could win the votes of homosexuals, since portman is the first republican in congress to formally express support for same sex marriage. What are your thoughts?
dancampbell869

Con

This is a very interesting topic, especially with the recent change in power in Congress. I actually really like the pick of Rubio, but I would personally put him on the ticket as the VP. You basically covered exactly what I would have for Rubio, he would help to win Florida, one of the most important swing states, and he would earn the Hispanic vote. I would pair Rubio with Rand Paul, who was mentioned in the comments. Raul has become one of the most popular figures in the Republican Party recently. He has many libertarian values and has even shown himself to go against his own party at times. Paul is an excellent debater, also very energetic, and a rising leader in Congress. With the Senate now in the hands of the Republicans, Paul has a chance to really stand out as someone who can reach across the aisle and have a productive relationship with the Democrats. I feel the combo of Paul and Rubio is more than enough to defeat Hillary and whomever she decides to run with.
gr8laker

Pro

Rand Paul is another interesting choice. My concern with Paul is that he may be too radical for Americans. While I see him running for president and possibly winning the nomination, I don't think he would be able to win against someone like Hillary. Paul is an isolationist, and I don't know if American will feel comfortable with this with Syria and Russia being big issues.

Rubio is the one contender who truly stands out when it comes to foreign policy. He holds an interventionist view like Hillary, which leads me to believe that his attacks on Hillary's career at Secretary of State more effective.

Rubio and Paul were both elected thanks to the tea party movement in 2010. While Paul embraced being a part of the movement, Rubio seems to have distanced himself from the movement. Rubio should be able to get support from tea party elites as well as more moderate and anti-tea party members.

Tim Scott could be a VP contender, given that he just made history on Election Day
dancampbell869

Con

I feel that the GOP needs to run a very well-known figure against an obviously famous Hillary. Scott and Portman would both be very interesting and well-deserving candidates, but I feel that they are not "exciting" enough of choices. Although 100% wrong in my opinion, both would potentially lose votes because of their race (Scott) and view on gay marriage (Portman). Rand Paul is a Tea Party member, but has also shown that he is willing to go against his own party at times. He could very well be classified as a libertarian. His fiscal conservatism will be supported by a large portion of the country, while his more liberal views on some social issues (gay marriage, illegal immigrants) will also be viewed as favorable by the majority. Paul will attract both moderates and extremists from the right. He will be viewed as a new type of candidate, different from McCain and Romney in that he is not a "far-left vs. left" like some have criticized in the past. I feel that Paul gives us the best chance of making a splash and continuing our momentum from this past election. As mentioned in the comments, Paul Ryan is still an intriguing VP candidate. He is already known from 2012 and is nothing short of a economic genius. I would definitely entertain the idea, but would still prefer Rubio. I personally would love to see Paul paired with Ted Cruz, but this combo would definitely push away left-leaning independents. The possibilities truly are endless with so many exciting potential candidates in the GOP.
gr8laker

Pro

gr8laker forfeited this round.
dancampbell869

Con

Since my opponent forfeited the round, I see no need to further embellish upon this subject. Thanks to those who take the time to vote.
Posted by Kylar 2 years ago
Kylar
Scott Walker and Paul Ryan are who I want to see run together
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I cannot think of one democrat that would be good for a free peoples. Now if you are a freeloader, democrat is the way to go.
Posted by welliott 2 years ago
welliott
He is the one republican I like.
Posted by DaPro7822 2 years ago
DaPro7822
I agree with 1Credo...
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
My first pick would be Allen West.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
Rand Paul, but I like Rubio or Portman for VP