WorldWar2Debator
alexmiller887

Who started World War 2?

WorldWar2Debator

Pro

As all who study World War 2 thoroughly know, historians mainly attacked Germany when it came to who started the Second World War. I admit, Czechoslovakia and Austria was rightfully blamed on Germany, but the invasion of Poland started WW2. Britain and. France declared war on Germany, summed up by then Soviet ally Joseph Stalin: "It is not Germany who attacked England and France, but England and France who attacked Germany."

My point in summoning a challenger is to ask him/her: Are the Allies to blame for the Second World War, or is all the fault Germany's? As Pro, I shall be defending Germany, and accusing the Allies of starting the war.
alexmiller887

Con

Alright then, you go first.
WorldWar2Debator

Pro

On September 1st 1939 the Nazi army, the Wehrmacht, had it's first taste of blood. Bombers smashed the poor Polish forces, who were outdated. Polish cavalry charged at the Nazi tanks and lost.

I admit, prior to the invasion of Warsaw itself, Britain and France declared they would go to war for Poland. But being Hitler, shouldn't they had known he would've invaded? On September 3rd Britain and France declared war.

Was Poland really so vital to the Allies? That's my question. If Con can successfully prove this, I assume he would have the edge.
alexmiller887

Con

In 1939, England signed a treaty with Poland which promised to protect them. What were they going to say, 'Tough beans, but we don't want a fight?'

I also ask my opponent to consider why Poland was invaded in the first place. Even so, no one really knew that Hitler was a bloodthirsty maniac and would have wanted to go to war?

Second point.

If Germany did not start the war, then nothing would have happened. There would have been no war if Germany had not been making threatening gestures, and annexing the Sudetenland. All I ask is this. Do you really believe that Germany did not invade Poland? Do you really believe that the sovereignty of a country is not worth protecting?
WorldWar2Debator

Pro

Hitler only invaded Poland to reclaim Danzig for Germany so that Germany wasn't split in two. He would not have invaded otherwise. He wanted Austria and Czechoslovakia to re-unite German speaking people. As for Poland, what about France? All I know is of their mutual assistance treaty to the USSR. That would've been asked to be abolished under the Nazi-Soviet non-aggression pact, so France weren't really doing anything to help prevent war. If claiming was is yours is wrong, I will forfeit the debate. But it isn't, and that's exactly what Hitler was doing. He simply wanted to (in Germany's case) sand off what he thought were the rough edges of the Treaty of Versailles. In reality, Hitler wasn't doing anything wrong. In fact, the Czechs and Austrians could possibly be described as content by their country's annexing.

I'd like to thank Con for this debate and wish him luck in this and future debates. Vote Pro!
alexmiller887

Con

My opponent has lied to you. Certainly, there were many Austrians and Czechs who welcomed Hitler, but there were also many who did not. What were the allies going to do, just sit back until the whole of Europe was taken over? I think not.

==Summary==
My opponent has, with all due respect, fudged the evidence and tried to make himself look good, while I have quoted solid hard facts. He has made unproven assertions, and made no attempt to prove them.

Thank you to my opponent for my 1st debate. I now leave this to the voters. Vote Con!
Vote Placed by STALIN 2 years ago
STALIN
WorldWar2Debatoralexmiller887Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that it was France and Britain declaring war on Germany which started WWII but Con showed that France and Britain didn't have too much of a choice since Germany had already annexed several territories and as a result, Britain and France agreed to help Poland in the event of a German invasion. I really felt this was tied. Both sides provided good arguments. Sources go to Pro to counter Seeginomikata.
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Seeginomikata
WorldWar2Debatoralexmiller887Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro cited information that was just plain incorrect, such as the information regarding the war in Poland. Con made the point that if Germany had not been agressive, a war would not have broken out, thus laying the majority of responsibility on leaders at the time. The pro had a difficult time disproving this.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
WorldWar2Debatoralexmiller887Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that Britain and France declared war on Germany, thus starting WW2. I'm not sure what the tirade in the end was about. Neither side sourced facts, so both are guilty of presenting unsubstantiated evidence.