T1302
dtien400

Who was a better president, Abraham Lincoln or Franklin Roosevelt?

dtien400

T1302

Pro

I think that Abraham Lincoln was a better president, because he was the one that freed all of the slaves in the united states in 1863.
dtien400

Con

Hello, my name is dtien and I will be arguing that Franklin D. Roosevelt was a superior president.

My Rebuttals:

First of all, Abraham Lincoln did not free all of the slaves in 1863, but only slaves in certain areas of the U.S. Secondly, Abraham Lincoln did not believe in interracial inequality. In a debate with Stephen Douglas, Lincoln said, "I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races." Furthermore, Lincoln believed that black people should not be allowed to hold political office, marry white people, vote, or serve on a jury. [1]

Even after slavery ended, black people continued to be oppressed in America for decades. [2] It is clear that Lincoln did only the slightest of gestures of help blacks in America, as he only freed slaves to gain the upper hand in the American Civil War. [1] As president Lincoln had tremendous political power, yet he only chose to do the least amount of work possible to improve the lives of the slaves and former slaves of America.

My Constructive Speech:

This is by no means an extensive list of why Franklin D. Roosevelt was superior, as I will build on my argument in rounds to come.

Franklin D. Roosevelt pushed bills, aided administrations, and started programs that decreased unemployment by 23%, protected the welfare of laborers, provided insurance, promoted economic growth, created jobs, and regulated banking at a time when America was in one of its worst recessions. [3] [4] These were much-need actions, as the U.S. was suffering from the Great Depression at the time. FDR was even elected for four consecutive terms, an unprecedented mark of popularity and accomplishment that no other president achieved. [4]

And while FDR greatly improved the economy of the U.S., Lincoln's actions did just the opposite. While he boosted the economy of the Union, Lincoln devastated the Confederacy through the American Civil War. [5] The population of the Confederate States was at about over a third of the U.S.'s entire population, all of which was hurled into economic turmoil.

My Synopsis:
Franklin D. Roosevelt greatly salvaged the dying economy of the U.S. during the Great Depression, while Abraham Lincoln destroyed the economy of the Confederate States. Furthermore, Lincoln's actions to free some of the slaves, while a godsend to many oppressed people, was not enough compared to the scores of turmoil the black community would face in the U.S. in the years to come due to his indifference to anybody in the U.S. who wasn't white.

[1] http://www.history.com...
[2] http://www.theroot.com...
[3] http://us-presidents.insidegov.com...
[4] http://www.historycentral.com...
[5] http://www.shmoop.com...
[6] http://www.civilwar.org...

I thank Pro for his/her argument in the first round, and am eager to see his/her arguments to come. Thanks to all for viewing this debate and have a lovely day!!
T1302

Pro

T1302 forfeited this round.
dtien400

Con

I extend all my points.
T1302

Pro

T1302 forfeited this round.
T1302

Pro

T1302 forfeited this round.
T1302

Pro

T1302 forfeited this round.
dtien400

Con

I extend all my points. Vote Con please. Have a nice day!
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
Whenever a president is lauded as great but his main accomplishment is winning a war, I immediately become suspicious. Winning a war, especially a civil war, requires many levels of military leaders and tacticians, all operating somewhat on their own autonomy and at the same time each having to consult the other for decisions to be made. Winning a war should not be credited to one man; nor should one man be considered the sole driving force behind winning a war.
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
And while he may have faced backlash, the Civil War was not an even-handed fight. The Union had the advantage over the Confederacy in population, technology, economy, arguably military leaders, transportation, etc. Yes, Abe may have been urged to quit; but it wasn't as if him staying in the war was some grand heroic leap of faith that no other president would have taken. Staying in the war was a practical, logical decision. It had its risks, but not too many, especially compared to its rewards.
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
That's true. However I can't argue for Abe :) In fact I'm planning on researching WW2 to see if I can turn some of those points around to fit FDR.
Posted by JoaquinBarzi 1 year ago
JoaquinBarzi
The thing about the war is true in a sense. It wasn't just hi generals, but the sheer numbers. The union just had more and better equipped soldiers, and the military elite knew it. But he stayed firm. You know, a war as bloody as the civil war probably wasn't very popular with the citizens of the union. Remember, the union had a higher death toll than the confederates. He faced severe backlash, and was probably urged to quit several times.
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
You have some excellent points! I feel like both of them were great presidents and I don't really feel strongly about one over the other. Lincoln probably did more for the nation, in fact. I'm only playing Devil's Advocate, and this is a great opportunity to learn more about FDR. I do disagree with you some because I think much of Lincoln's ability to survive the Civil War had to do with his generals and not just his own decisions and actions, although he still should be given a lot of the credit.
Posted by JoaquinBarzi 1 year ago
JoaquinBarzi
People tend to focus too much on the "freed the slaves aspet" of Lincoln, but what he actually acomplished goes far beyond that. Even from the very beggining, he was willing to compromise on slavery if it meant that the union stayed toghether.
He managed, thru war, to keep the country a whole, reasserting the federal government hegemony over the states. If he hadnt suceeded, the US would probably have never risen to superpower status. They would have stayed a secondary power along the confederates. That is why he was, is, and will probably ever be, the single best US president.
Dont get me wrong though, FDR did some amazing acomplishments. But surviving a civil war is one of those 1 hit KO sort of deal. There would have been no country to save out of depression without a president like Abe.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 8 months ago
dsjpk5
T1302dtien400Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.