SeventhProfessor
Mockery

Who was the best Doctor in Doctor Who?

SeventhProfessor

Pro

First round for acceptance and naming your Doctor only.
Mockery

Con

I accept and I am here to argue that Chris Eccleston aka Doctor Number Nine is the best!
SeventhProfessor

Pro

I believe that Sylvester McCoy is the best Doctor. I have three reasons for this:

Companions

The Seventh Doctor, in my opinion, had the best companions and companion relationships. Very few people would argue that Ace is a bad companion, or that hers was an uninteresting relationship with the Doctor. However, Mel is a different story. While I didn't mind her, many hate her. I'll admit she wasn't the best companion, and certainly not one of my favorites, but the three main arguments against her are either awful or just don't make sense.
1. "She has an annoying voice". This really shouldn't contribute to how one views a companion, and is one of the bad arguments.
2. "Her stories were boring". I personally enjoyed every episode she was in. I do, however, enjoy almost everything Doctor Who produces. In fact, I only dislike three episodes (Twin Dilemma, Love and Monsters, andHide),and one companion (Rose). She also had a small River Song-like plot in her first few episodes.
3. "She didn't do anything/ was incompetent". This argument, like the first one, is just bad. She was rather intelligent, being a computer programmer, and she was ready to fight a possible Doctor imposter right after Six regenerated [1]. Mel was certainly very useful.

Stories

McCoy's stories were a nice change from the Doctor aimlessly wondering around and stopping villains where he could. The Doctor was old, and he was out to fight. These kinds of stories were later used for the Eleventh Doctor.

Personality and Development

McCoy was the first Doctor, other than the first, to significantly develop withn the TV show. While other Doctors have done this in other media formats of questionable canonity, McCoy's ability to show such extreme development in only three seasons makes him one of the greatest. Not just the development, but the simultaneously dark and light hearted personality he grows is also amazing, and provides for excellent stories like Survival and Curse of Fenric.
Mockery

Con

My turn!

I think Chris aka Number Nine is the best because of the following reasons.

First, he started out the new Doctor Who and because of him, Doctor Who gained tons of brand new fans. Not only that but fans of the old series came back as well. The first episode even starts with an old enemy, Nestene Consciousness.

Secondly, Nine had some two of the most memorable episodes: The Empty Child and the Doctor Dances. These episodes are perfectly creepy and exciting. That and they introduce a fan favorite character, Captain Jack Harkness. The writing is great, the idea is brilliant and the monster, a child wearing a gas mask asking for his mummy, is just rather freaking scary! Not to mention this is one of the few episodes that end in a happy ending.

Last, is the relationships. Even though we sadly only had Nine for one season, Nine established himself as a loving, caring character. It is true that he had his dark side and it was shown but he was still extremely loving even if he didn't really want to show it. He was very obvious that he cared deeply not only for Rose but Jack and even Mickey. He wanted to keep them safe but he let them follow him. He didn't stop them but it was obvious that he would protect them at all cost. In that way, he was easy to relate to because while he had his moments of anger, he still had a deep, caring side.

Your turn!
SeventhProfessor

Pro

"First, he started out the new Doctor Who and because of him, Doctor Who gained tons of brand new fans."

Yes, but Sylvester brought back many old fans that had left the series. I'm sure most would agree it's easier to bring people into a "new" series they had never seen before than bring people into an old series they left because it was bad. McCoy also started with a previous villain, the Rani.

"Secondly, Nine had some two of the most memorable episodes: The Empty Child and the Doctor Dances. These episodes are perfectly creepy and exciting. That and they introduce a fan favorite character, Captain Jack Harkness."

While it is two episodes, it is just one story. McCoy also had one of the most memorable episodes, Curse of Fenric, and in his episode "Dragonfire" introduced a fan favorite in the form of Ace McShane. The writing in CoF is equally great, if not better. Fenric, arguably the most powerful being in the universe, is in no way less frightening than the Child. If Fenric isn't scary, surely the Doctor himself when yelling at Ace is.

"Last, is the relationships. Even though we sadly only had Nine for one season, Nine established himself as a loving, caring character."

Seven also established himself as such. However, his dark side was far more interesting than Nine's. Seven made dark plans, causing enemies and friends to suffer in order to defeat the bad guy. I find Seven a much more diverse and interesting character.
Mockery

Con

You made this too short. I wanted to debate to more.

I think Nine is the best because he is perfectly balanced. He is dark when he needs to be and happy and bright when he needs to be. He has some of the best episodes and a group of great companions. I was really sad we only got him for one season. Chris did an extremely great job and I would love to see him do it again for a special.
Posted by Antichronos 3 years ago
Antichronos
Krieg01 is definitely right. They are debating over the wrong doctors!
Posted by ThunderClap 3 years ago
ThunderClap
Paul McGann was really good in that he showed his worthiness to play the Doctor in just one movie. Not to mention Sylvester McCoy started the episode off, which is pretty good in itself. Personally I don't really like picking a favorite Doctor, because the way I see it, each of them were perfect for following the previous Doctor. I think there were some that had more enjoyable moments, but even then I haven't completely watched the classic series so it's hard for me to determine which one had the best overall performance. I do agree that Sylvester McCoy was spectacular and Christopher Eccleston was.... well... fantastic lol :P
Posted by SeventhProfessor 3 years ago
SeventhProfessor
I've just gotten a few audios, and my new favorite is Paul McGann. I'll continue to argue for my second favorite, though.
Posted by Krieg01 3 years ago
Krieg01
David Tennant was the best doctor who in my opinion!