jeh123
tylersch96

Who was the best US President?

jeh123

jeh123

Con

The Pro will name his favorite President in the 1st round, with OR without an argument, and I will proceed to explain why I disagree with his/her choice.
tylersch96

Pro

Abraham Lincoln. Just because he paved the road to abolish slavery.
jeh123

Con

I'll limit myself to 2 points here just for fun.

Point 1. His Emanicpation Proclamation didn't free anyone [1]-Yeah, it's true. Abraham Lincoln may have kickstarted the abolitionist movement, but his Emancipation Proclamation only freed the slaves in Confederate lands (who were out of his control). The slaves in Union-controlled territories were still slaves. The men who actually freed the slaves and gave blacks the vote were the Radical Republicans in Congress [2]. Even then, blacks weren't treated as the equals of whites until at least 100 years later (some still don't consider them to be equal). Yes, on paper, the Emancipation Proclamation was a landmark document on paper, but in practice nothing much changed, at least for the time being. It didn't even make freedmen citizens.

Point 2. Other Presidents did better things-Consider Franklin D. Roosevelt. Like Lincoln, FDR unified the country (in his case, against the forces of isolationism and the Great Depression) from within. But ADDITIONALLY, FDR also met the Nazi threat and fought the single greatest war of all time (in terms of casualties and money spent) [3]. Lincoln was a great president and all, but he didn't really have a major problem or conflict in his foreign policy (unless you count the Confederate States of America as a foreign and not a domestic issue). In addition to all this, FDR was also a cripple and fought all his problems from a WHEELCHAIR [3]. I don't think Honest Abe did THAT.

Or you could take John F. Kennedy. He was the leader of the Free World; that surely was enough stress for one man, considering his admirable leadership during the Cuban Missile Crisis and his vision of putting a man on the moon, as well as his failures, like the Bay of Pigs Crisis [4]. In addition to that, he championed the Civil Rights Movement and helped shepherd the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts (although Lyndon Baines Johnson signed them), and he ended a major recession, started the idea of supply-side economics, started the Peace Corps, and foresaw the end of the Cold War, actively pursuing his goals. Not bad for a guy who only had 2 YEARS in office (Lincoln spent 4 in the hot seat). He steered America through the difficult times of the early '60s and finished what Lincoln started; the elevation of blacks to first-class citizen status.

So there you are, I've put my argument that there were Presidents better than Abraham Lincoln (which is now what I have to do as Con), and I am awaiting your response.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...

P.S.: The last round is for conclusions ONLY. I hope your okay with that.
tylersch96

Pro

One of our founding fathers. Thomas Jefferson. not only was he a great leader but a great writer of The Declaration of Independance.
jeh123

Con

Since you put forward Abraham Lincoln's name in the 1st round, you now have to defend your choice in more than one line. For the sake of fairness, I won't use this to post another argument, but I'll wait and see your argument. You can't say Thomas Jefferson now.
tylersch96

Pro

I apologize. Abraham Lincoln is not the one who abolished slavery as I stated he "paved the road" to the abolishing of slavery. He was also the first president to hold a patient. Lincoln"s design, which became U.S. Patent No. 6469, details the invention of an inflatable bellows system meant to improve the navigation of boats in shallow waters. Also Abraham Lincoln was the first major political figure to suggest extending the right to vote to women. Twelve years before the first woman"s rights convention occurred, Lincoln, then a state legislator, made a statement to an Illinois paper supporting "female suffrage".
jeh123

Con

Yes, Abraham Lincoln might have been for women's suffrage, but that, even with all of Lincoln's other accomplishments, (in my opinion) is not enough to surpass the work done by FDR in 12 years of JFK in TWO. For the record, FDR also began Social Security [1], which has help millions of seniors enjoy a dignified retirement.
Besides, the fact that Lincoln had the patent you say he did (you haven't provided any sources) doesn't tell us anything about his ability as a President. Yes, he was a great man, yes he was a great President, but I don't think I can say that he was the BEST President.
Ronald Reagan was also a great President. He kick-started the 1990's economic boom AND defeated the Soviets in the Cold War without wasting American lives [2]. Not bad for a septuagenarian, if you ask me.
Well, this is my last round for debate, since the last round is for conclusions, but I think I have given THREE challengers to your claim of Lincoln being our best President, and I feel that you haven't refuted ANY of my claims.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
tylersch96

Pro

While that maybe true. Abraham Lincoln had limited knowledge to what we now know. FDR and Kennedy both learned from earlier Presidents and did everyone. So that is my argument.
jeh123

Con

CONCLUSION:
My opponent has provided his favorite President. I have provided THREE Presidents who I believe are better than Lincoln, and my opponent's only defense was:
a) Lincoln fought for women's suffrage (not applicable, since at that time he wasn't a President)
b) Lincoln had a patent (really?)
c) Lincoln presided over a young America, and didn't have the knowledge later Presidents did (that MIGHT be accepted), and
d) Lincoln helped to abolish slavery (my opponent's only completely valid point)

See for yourself, voters. My opponent has 1-1.5 good points supporting Lincoln. I have given 4 good points for FDR, 4-5 for JFK, and 2 for Reagan. On the basis of that argument, I believe that I've won hands-down.

VOTE CON!
tylersch96

Pro

Good Debate. Vote for the winner.
Posted by jeh123 3 years ago
jeh123
Slaves in Union-controlled territories were still slaves, slaves in Rebel lands (which ya couldn't free) were free
Posted by brant.merrell 3 years ago
brant.merrell
Nobody mentioned the thirteenth Amendment that freed everyone, which Lincoln pushed through Congress.

Besides, "His Emanicpation Proclamation didn't free anyone" is wrong. You mean it didn't free "everyone." The executive branch doesn't have the authority to issue orders like emancipation, he was able to make the proclamation as a commander in chief, so he wouldn't have been able to free non-rebel slave states anyway.
Posted by jeh123 3 years ago
jeh123
Yeah imabench, just for the record, as COn, all I had to is argue that Abraham Lincoln WASN'T our best President
Posted by IATDM 4 years ago
IATDM
zezima shut yo fat face
Posted by lilcheerleader2001 4 years ago
lilcheerleader2001
I want to do it with you but it won't let me!
lilcheerleader2001
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
jeh123tylersch96Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never really addressed Con's arguments, he just kept adding on points that Con refuted. Con had 3 sources as opposed to Pro's 0 so sources to Con.
Vote Placed by Nordenkalt444 3 years ago
Nordenkalt444
jeh123tylersch96Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Although Con stated his argument in a very complicated way, he still proved a point very well while at the same time Pro hardly backed up his argument and provided no sources.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
jeh123tylersch96Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didnt really stick to a single person as who he believes is the best US president, and instead picked three and provided some meager justification for his reasoning that con did argue against. The debate was all over the place but in the end, pro didnt really have a single choice for who was the best president, so arguments go to con even though I agree with a lot of Pro's picks