jeh123
lilcheerleader2001

Who was the best US President?

jeh123

Con

The Pro will name her favorite President in the 1st round, with OR without an argument, and I will proceed to explain why I disagree with her choice.

lilcheerleader2001

Pro

My favorite president is Abe Lincoln. I am saying this because he fought in the civil war, and saved the slave.
jeh123

Con

I'll limit myself to 2 points here just for fun.

Point 1. His Emanicpation Proclamation didn't free anyone [1]-Yeah, it's true. Abraham Lincoln may have kickstarted the abolitionist movement, but his Emancipation Proclamation only freed the slaves in Confederate lands (who were out of his control). The slaves in Union-controlled territories were still slaves. The men who actually freed the slaves and gave blacks the vote were the Radical Republicans in Congress [2]. Even then, blacks weren't treated as the equals of whites until at least 100 years later (some still don't consider them to be equal). Yes, on paper, the Emancipation Proclamation was a landmark document on paper, but in practice nothing much changed, at least for the time being. It didn't even make freedmen citizens.

Point 2. Other Presidents did better things-Consider Franklin D. Roosevelt. Like Lincoln, FDR unified the country (in his case, against the forces of isolationism and the Great Depression) from within. But ADDITIONALLY, FDR also met the Nazi threat and fought the single greatest war of all time (in terms of casualties and money spent) [3]. Lincoln was a great president and all, but he didn't really have a major problem or conflict in his foreign policy (unless you count the Confederate States of America as a foreign and not a domestic issue). In addition to all this, FDR was also a cripple and fought all his problems from a WHEELCHAIR [3]. I don't think Honest Abe did THAT.

Or you could take John F. Kennedy. He was the leader of the Free World; that surely was enough stress for one man, considering his admirable leadership during the Cuban Missile Crisis and his vision of putting a man on the moon, as well as his failures, like the Bay of Pigs Crisis [4]. In addition to that, he championed the Civil Rights Movement and helped shepherd the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts (although Lyndon Baines Johnson signed them), and he ended a major recession, started the idea of supply-side economics, started the Peace Corps, and foresaw the end of the Cold War, actively pursuing his goals. Not bad for a guy who only had 2 YEARS in office (Lincoln spent 4 in the hot seat). He steered America through the difficult times of the early '60s and finished what Lincoln started; the elevation of blacks to first-class citizen status.

So there you are, I've put my argument that there were Presidents better than Abraham Lincoln (which is now what I have to do as Con), and I am awaiting your response.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org......
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org......
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org......
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org......
lilcheerleader2001

Pro

lilcheerleader2001 forfeited this round.
jeh123

Con

Uhhhhhhh......
lilcheerleader2001

Pro

jeh123

Con

Uhh........:O :-/
lilcheerleader2001

Pro

jeh123

Con

What the hell?
lilcheerleader2001

Pro