HerecuzBoredom
Zombieguy835

Who won the War of 1812

Zombieguy835 has forfeited round #2.

HerecuzBoredom

Pro

The War of 1812 was a war between the United States of America and the British Empire that lasted between June 18, 1812 " February 18, 1815.

Pro will argue that the British Empire won and con will argue that the United States won. Burden will obviously be shared.

Winning a war is to be defined as "The desired territorial, economic, military, political or other benefits expected following successful conclusion of a war"
Zombieguy835

Con

The goals of the British Empire in the War of 1812 was to prevent the U.S from annexing Canada, and than invaded the nation, but didn't gain or lose any land. The U.S's goals was to annex Canada, and was pushed back, but prevented the British from conquering them, and was deemed the Second War of Independence, and also lost no land, but got fishing rights in the Great Lakes. Canada, with British help repelled the U.S, but also, like the others, gained nothing of importance. If the British/Canadians forces really won, it would've been by invading and annexing the U.S.
HerecuzBoredom

Pro

The reasons for war was a bit more then this.. The United States declared war for maritime reasons. The United States failed to achieve any of their objectives that they set out to win.

Britain maintained the right of impressment.
Britain maintained the right of blocking neutral trade.

Those actions stopped not cause the United States made them too but cause the British defeated their much larger enemy in Europe.

By the end of the war the British still occupied 40,000 km2, a crushing blockade that nearly ran the US to bankruptcy, won majority of the battles both on land and at sea, retained their 'rights' that the United States fought to end, and kept Canada.

Status Quo kept everything as it was prior to the war. Hence, The United States failed their primary objectives and the British Empire didn't.
Posted by judaism 1 month ago
judaism
One historian put it best. The British won the war, but America won the peace.
Posted by Zombieguy835 3 months ago
Zombieguy835
sorry, school and medical appointments have made it hard for me to be online to debate this
Posted by HerecuzBoredom 4 months ago
HerecuzBoredom
Jesus Christ.. people suck on this site. I'm going to have to block this moron too...
Posted by HerecuzBoredom 4 months ago
HerecuzBoredom
It was meant to be impossible to accept until I allowed it to be.
Posted by Zombieguy835 4 months ago
Zombieguy835
I cant, as I don't fit your criteria
Posted by HerecuzBoredom 4 months ago
HerecuzBoredom
Would you like me to invite you to the debate?
Posted by Zombieguy835 4 months ago
Zombieguy835
The Brits didn't win, America didn't win and Canada didn't win. The Brits only prevented the U.S from annexing Canada, but if they did "win" they would've reconquest the U.S, which they didn't do because of the Treaty of Ghent, which ended the war. The U.S failed to annex Canada, but held off the British and Canadian forces, and only got fishing rights in the Great Lakes, which didn't really give them land. Canada fended off the U.S forces but that's about it. So really no one really "won" the War of 1812.
Posted by HerecuzBoredom 4 months ago
HerecuzBoredom
I disagree, it was not a tie. The British Empire defeated the United States in the War of 1812. If you'd like to argue that it was either a win for the United States or neither side won then you can join the debate after I'm finished with the debate I'm already in.
Posted by Zombieguy835 4 months ago
Zombieguy835
well, no territory changed and really, neither side really accomplished their goals, so really its just a tie
Posted by Leaning 4 months ago
Leaning
I always thought it was more of a tie.