BeckyBieberForever
Zarroette

Who's better 1D or 5SOS?

Zarroette
Started: 1/2/2015 Category: Music

BeckyBieberForever

Con

Who is better 1D or our 5 favourite British/Irish boyband or The wanted our fully British band? And why?
Zarroette

Pro

I thank BeckyBieberForever for presenting me the opportunity to debate which of these famous bands is better.

I will be arguing for One Direction being the better of the two bands, since Con is negating the resolution (implying that the latter of the two bands: 5SOS is a better band).

Since there are no definitions for this debate, I will assume that the definitions are up for debate, too.

Finally, since we're arguing which is better, I think it's fair that the burden of proof is shared.

As per DDO customs, I'll leave the first round in acceptance. We await Con's opening round of arguments. I wish her strength in argument.
BeckyBieberForever

Con

Zarroette I get that you think 5SOS is better. But I have to disagree. 1D are best selling band in the world. What about 5SOS the only Country they've played in is their own.
Zarroette

Pro

Thank you, BeckyBieberForever.

Given my opponent’s last round, I take it that I am affirming that Five Seasons of Summer (5SoS) is a better band than One Direction.

Affirmative Case:

A1: Broke-through alone

5SoS were originally Youtube stars. They became famous via singing on Youtube [1]. Comparatively, One Direction needed the help of the television show ‘X-Factor’ in order to break-through [2]. So, 5SOS was better in regards to being able to reach fame via their own work, rather than requiring the enormous help of a television show.

A2: Musical instruments

Another reason why 5SoS is better than One Direction is that they play musical instruments [3]. In fact, every member of the band plays a musical instrument. Also consider that this is in addition to singing, which means that their musical ability, all things being equal, should be much, much higher than that of One Direction. This is due to the fact that it takes more talent to be able to sing and play musical instruments than it takes to only sing.

A3: Writing music

To an avid fan of 5SoS, the fact that they write their own music sets them apart from other boy-bands, such as One Direction, whom do not [5].

C1: More Talented

As you can, 5SoS are more talented than One Direction, which I think qualifies as “better”.

Counter-Arguments

1D are best selling band in the world.”

This is unsourced assertion. Unless my opponent references this claim, we have no reason to believe that is true, and hence we should not.

“What about 5SOS the only Country they've played in is their own.

This is factually incorrect. For example, in July this year, it so happened that 5SoS performed in New York city, along with One Direction [4].

Furthermore, as an indication of 5SoS being better than One Direction, 5SoS drew in a bigger crowd than One Direction, hence the title of the article.

References

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] https://www.youtube.com...

[3] http://www.fuse.tv...

[4] http://www.smh.com.au...

[5] http://www.people.com...

BeckyBieberForever

Con

BeckyBieberForever forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Pro

Extend my arguments.
BeckyBieberForever

Con

I know what your saying but I have to object. Because........

5SOS are only known in some places. While 1D are known all over the world.

How come 5SOS have never performed on the X factor?

How come they never have that many concerts?

How come when I speak with people and ask them what they're favourite band is they always and I mean always say 1D?

I could go on and on but I wont. I just want to state that 1D are clearly better and more famous.

And if people vote they will vote for 1D because half the people on the planet dont know about 5SOS.

Also 5SOS songs are less famous the only songs people know from them are Amnesia and She looks so Perfect.

So there that clearly state that 1D are better and more famous.
Zarroette

Pro

Thank you, Con.

Affirmative Case

My opponent does not address my arguments. Therefore, they are extended.

Counter-Arguments

“5SOS are only known in some places. While 1D are known all over the world.

My opponent provides no proof to make this claim, therefore failing to meet the burden of proof.

Besides, the fact that one *may* being better known does not prove that they are better. For example, how does being better known affect musical talent?

“How come 5SOS have never performed on the X factor?”

Because they did not need the show in order to prove themselves. 5SoS were good enough to get themselves famous rather than requiring a TV show.

“How come they never have that many concerts?”

How many is many? Where are you getting this information from?

“How come when I speak with people and ask them what they're favourite band is they always and I mean always say 1D?"

My opponent offers anecdotal evidence as an argument. This is a logical fallacy because she assumes that due to her experiencing this, it must be true for everyone [1].

“And if people vote they will vote for 1D because half the people on the planet dont know about 5SOS.

“Also 5SOS songs are less famous the only songs people know from them are Amnesia and She looks so Perfect.

Bare assertions, much like the other arguments. I am not trying to be rude, but my opponent provides no evidence to make any of these claims.

“So there that clearly state that 1D are better and more famous.”

My opponent, again, provides no evidence to make this claim.

Furthermore, even if my opponent provides evidence in the future, my opponent commits the fallacy of appealing to popularity: just because something is popular, it does not mean that it is better [2].

References

[1] https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

[2] http://www.nizkor.org...

BeckyBieberForever

Con

Since this Is my last argument. I would just like to say thank you Zareotte for accepting it. However 1D are a huge band ! 5SOS are a band that no one likes.

Now I know you think that 5SOS are better but listen. If 5SOS were 'better' then people would be talking all about them. If 5SOS are 'better' how come as I said before when I ask people who their favourite band is they always say 1D. So could you try and answer that I would love to here your answer.

One direction are the biggest band in the world,people are even saying that 1D are the biggest band in the world since the Beatles broke up.
Also I would appreciate if you would not mimick me. Thank you and goodbye.😄😄😄 Also people vote 1D!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😃😀😀😃😃😃
Zarroette

Pro

Thank you for the debate, BeckyBieberForever.

I am going to summarise why I think I have won.

Affirmative Case

Con never responded to any of my points here, so I will discuss the impacts briefly.

A1: Broke-through alone

It would be generally harder to break through by yourself than by a popular television show. This is an indication that 5SoS are better than 1D.

A2: Musical instruments

Being able to play musical instruments makes 5SoS better than 1D due to 1D not being able to play any.

A3: Writing music

1D never write their own music. 5SoS do from time to time.

C1: More Talented

My conclusion, based upon the above arguments, was that 5SoS was more talented than 1D, hence they are "better".

Counter-arguments

My opponent's arguments generally fall into the same problems:

1) They are unsourced, bare assertions

2) They are appeals to popularity (logical fallacy)

3) They involve anecdotal evidence (logical fallacy)

If you do not believe me, check my more detailed responses in the rounds. Due to these problems, my opponent's arguments are largely fallacious.

Conclusion: why you should vote for me

I gave a referenced, non-logically fallacious argument as to why 5SoS is better than 1D. My opponent did the opposite.

I want also like to mention that my opponent forfeited a round and did not provide any sources. From a debater to you as the voter, I ask you nicely, based on my opponent's actions, to consider conduct points and source points.

Thank you for reading :)
Posted by sasmith8 1 year ago
sasmith8
i hate when people compare 5sos and 1d. they are completely different bands with completely different music. 1d are a pop boyband who sing. 5sos are a whole new genre of edgy rock pop punk alternative whatever you want to call it! And they each play instruments and rock on them too. STOP COMPARING THEM TO EACH OTHER
Posted by dillmsc2015 1 year ago
dillmsc2015
Overall I think One Direction is a better band but I am partial to them. I thought the Pro did better all around with the argument bringing up better facts and stronger points.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
I make better music than these two groups.

And no, I don't make music.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
uhhhhhhhh...... whose side am I on lol
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
uhhhhhhhh...... whose side am I on lol
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
BeckyBieberForeverZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited a round which is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting. S&G - Pro. Con had multiple instances of incorrect punctuation and capitalization, I saw no such errors from Pro. Arguments - Pro. Con dropped multiple arguments raised by Pro, in addition to providing rebuttals/counter-claims which were supported by no evidence whatsoever. Pro relied on empirical data which was used to affirm her own claims with verifiable proof. Towards the end, it was clear that Pro relied on building cases around the definition of 'better' whereas Con just relied on subjective claims which, in majority, were unproven or fallacious, as shown by Pro. For these reasons, Pro clearly wins arguments. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize any sources whatsoever, which is a shame because the claims given by Con really called for them. Due to Pro utilizing sources appropriately and to strengthen her own claims, Pro wins sources. This is a clear 7 point win for Pro.
Vote Placed by Emilrose 2 years ago
Emilrose
BeckyBieberForeverZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture by Con as well as failure to offer sourced arguments/rebuttals. Cons second round was only three small sentences while the fourth was merely a serious of presumptive statements. Pro outlined clear arguments as to why she contends the resolution of Con, along with including several sources.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
BeckyBieberForeverZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Personally, I'm not a fan of either band. Conduct- Zarroette for Con's FF. Arguments & Sources- Pro provided sourced, valid arguments, while Con relied on personal opinion, un-sourced statements and rhetorical questions. Obvious win is obvious.