failedALIAS
OberHerr

Who's the better fictional character: Darth Vader or Aragorn?

failedALIAS

failedALIAS

Pro

The point of this debate isn't to address the Power or Greatness of either character, but more so the depth of their person. I will (hopefully) be taking the side of Aragorn, who in my opinion is much more developed and epic than the Dark Lord. But the choice is up to you, I can defend either.
OberHerr

Con

I shall let my good friend Barney answer this one for me.

Just for clarification, this debate will be on which character is the better and more interesting character overall, and is not just based on who is more powerful/deadly.

I assume all sources that are considered canon for their respective universes go.

Darth Vader(Aka. Anakin Skywalker): http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://starwars.wikia.com...

Aragorn II Elessar: http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://lotr.wikia.com...

No abuse of semantics please.
failedALIAS

Pro

failedALIAS forfeited this round.
OberHerr

Con

Since it would be unfair for me to have an extra round, and since even if I did take advantage of it, it would be a horrible debate for opponent to have one round, I say we re-instigate the debate.

Vote Tie!
failedALIAS

Pro

Anyway, forgive my previous absence (my connection was at error). While the story of Darth Vader is quite compelling; fallen Jedi turns to the Dark Side, motivated by fear and pride. The superiority of Aragorn lies with his honor and drive for good. He lives in fear of his own mortal faults, both in his inability to deny his desire for the ring, and in the love he holds towards Arwen which he's lead to believe "selfish" as cause of her father's fear. As shown in The Fellowship of the Ring he doubts his resistance to the One Ring, he is shadowed by self-doubt and perfectionism towards himself whenever he stumbles on the path of good. Holding nothing but respect for his fallen comrades, his dedication toward the aid of his friends and the bane of his enemies he strides forth with a passion for justice I've never even begun to see in anyone else.

He hates and fears his humanity for more than just corruption and faulty in arms. Constantly tormented by the desire for another. He holds strong in thinking that to save humanity, he must sever all his ties to it. Never have I observed such awesome dedication in one such as the Dark Lord; maintaining only base human morality (responsibility to shared blood, unwillingness to see harm befall those he holds that responsibility towards.) While he deserves pity as a tormented individual, and respect as once a honorable (and whinny) warrior; he will always remain inhuman and distant. (But that was intentional.)

As an ending note, please regard that the Aragorn I'm talking about is that of quality shown originally in the books, only to be later demonstrated masterfully in the movies. Also please don't make decisions based upon who the favorite character is, as that is not the point of the debate at all. Thank You.
OberHerr

Con

OberHerr forfeited this round.
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Eh, I don't care.

Let's redebate this sometime though.
Posted by failedALIAS 5 years ago
failedALIAS
Ah, now I understand what is happening. Sorry, I was off for a while and didn't really read your post (instead just entered mine.) I was a little tight time wise, sooo yeah. Awkward.
Posted by failedALIAS 5 years ago
failedALIAS
Hm? What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that you are surprised that it's going this way, or are you angry because I didn't do something?
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
I was under the assumption that we were going to tie this...........
Posted by failedALIAS 5 years ago
failedALIAS
*Twitch Twitch*
Posted by failedALIAS 5 years ago
failedALIAS
Okay!
So, how about now?
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Do "Fictional", in place of "Fiction", to feed my Grammar Fiendishness.

But, other than that, good. I'll accept soon.
Posted by failedALIAS 5 years ago
failedALIAS
Better?
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Try changing the resolution to "Whose the better fictional character: Darth Vader or Aragorn?"
Posted by failedALIAS 5 years ago
failedALIAS
Yes, Darth Vader does belong to the Sci-Fi genre but Aragorn hails from Fantasy. Since "Sci-Fi" simply means Science Fiction, or alternatively Science Fantasy I thought it would be acceptable. Also I am glad you picked Darth Vader, for my loyalty lies with Gondor.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
failedALIASOberHerrTied
Reasons for voting decision: That was...interesting. Pro rejected Con's plea for a tie and provided the only argument in the debate. Both sides forfeited so conduct is a tie.