skyward592
talktothehand

Why Euthanasia?

skyward592

Con

Not trying to offend anyone, but why should euthanasia be our first or second resort? It should be our last resort. We are taking someone's life even if they choose to do this, we should say no. We cant play God. We are not in charge. I read an article about two deaf twins being euthanized because they were afraid of "losing" their rights. (because they were going blind.) Why would you choose this when God might have a plan for you. like a BIG PLAN. some of you might not be religious but we are murdering people on their request. I honestly think the same for abortion, we are murdering lives. in this case innocent lives. What's you opinion on this?
talktothehand

Pro

Before I talk about why I support the use of Euthanasia, I would like to counter your point on religion.

Respectfully, I disagree that we, as human beings cannot take charge; or as you put it, "We can't play God".
Your argument implies that life and death is not a matter of choice, but a matter of God's will and his plans. I disagree. Your birth was a choice between your parents. Similarly, death can also be the result of the choices you make. Popular ones include chain smoking, drug abuse, and other self-harm inflicted by choice. So, I do not agree that we have no choice/control over our lives and deaths. I believe that we as individuals control our own lives and we demonstrate this through the choices we make. We as human beings are entitled to our rights to live. And in cases where death is imminent, the right to choose when to die, where to die, and how we die should not be denied.

Now, I'll like to touch on Euthanasia.
It is my opinion that Euthanasia should be a viable option. It is a last resort, also known as mercy killing, to relieve the pain and suffering that terminally ill or fatally injured patients go through. By definition, the act of murder is "the unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse". Doctors have every right to accede to patients' requests for Euthanasia without being considered as murderers as long as they abide their country's Euthanasia laws.

Here, you talked about an article involving a pair of twins who are deaf and going blind. They have chosen to be euthanized because "they were afraid of "losing" their rights". Assuming this refers to their rights to live, I would agree that euthanization is an unfortunate decision to make (if they are otherwise healthy). However, it is their right and their choice to choose Euthanasia.
Losing the sense of sight on top of being deaf will rob them of any quality of life worth experiencing. Unless they have the resources that allows for round-the-clock care and supervision, how else would they survive? They may not have control over what happens with their senses, but choosing a quick death (Euthanasia) over a slow death (by living) seems to me like a choice that the person in suffering can determine.

Clearly, I belong to the "pro-choice" camp for abortion as well. I do not endorse senseless killings, but I believe in having the right to make these choices when the situation calls for it.
skyward592

Con

I never said we have no control over our lives. we just shouldn't play God. And abortion is killing innocent lives such as babies. Like hear this. it is a story so READ CAREFULLY.

One day a mother went to go and see her doctor. She took her 4 year old with her. She asked her doctor about an abortion. The doctor said,"Well lets kill your 4 year old instead." She was taken by surprise by this answer and rejected,"How dare you!" Calmly, the doctor explained,"I mean why kill a baby that is not born. It is just the same thing as killing your 4 year old."

This is not a made up story but why kill and unborn individual when it is just the same as killing yourself. I know women have rights and this is one f them. there are some good things about abortion, but also some bad. it is just the same for euthanasia. people have a right to euthanasia. but it doesn't mean to use it senselessly by saying kill me.
talktothehand

Pro

Alright, then please define what it means to "play God". My interpretation was that it means only God can decide who gets to live, and when you get to die. My argument was that life is created by choice, between two people, and that your own death is largely under your personal choice and control (discounting other factors such as diseases or accidents). This point is to support the use of Euthanasia: that this is my life, my terms. When I face imminent death, when I am suffering on bed without the ability to support myself, care for myself, and I'm constantly hooked onto a machine in the hospital to support my life, after countless surgeries that was supposed to save me, this is the situation where I would like to assess my options for a "slow" death or a "quick" death. Granted, it seems fundamentally wrong that someone should give up living, but as an option, one that would ideally be governed by law, regulated by medical boards, and endorsed by medically experienced doctors on top of the individual's explicit consent for Euthanasia; why not?

Anyway, I would like to point out here that abortion and Euthanasia are two separate issues, even if they talk about taking other people's lives.

I have already stated that I do not support senseless killings. We both agree on this point. So your story about the 4 year old and the baby, yes, I get it. Without a valid reason for abortion, this option should not be available in the first place. That's the thing: what happens to those women with very real reasons for abortion? (Think rape victims) What happens to them if this option is not available to them in a safe, legal environment? Do you know the complications that would arise from self-induced abortions? What makes you think that making abortion illegal would stop it from happening? And you seem to imply that people who choose to do this do not value life. No. It is traumatizing, emotionally and physically scarring, and will very possibly harm the mother's body. Again: it is not a first choice or the second choice. Like Euthanasia: it is the last choice.

I have to conclude by saying that I do not agree with taking away an innocent life for no reason. I support these things because I believe people that needs to consider all their last choices should have them. The issue remains that real, valid reasons to consider Euthanasia and abortion exists in our society. Making it illegal would not stop them from occurring; it will only prevent those who really need them from accessing it in a safe, protected environment. I would like to emphasize that I am not pro-abortion, but pro-choice. Also, that I strongly believe Euthanasia should not be a ready option for everyone except for those in deep suffering and/or near death.
skyward592

Con

skyward592 forfeited this round.
talktothehand

Pro

talktothehand forfeited this round.
skyward592

Con

skyward592 forfeited this round.
talktothehand

Pro

talktothehand forfeited this round.
skyward592

Con

skyward592 forfeited this round.
talktothehand

Pro

talktothehand forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
skyward592talktothehandTied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL