Aref
Thegoodmormon

Why I Renounced Islam by A. Nazar

Aref

Con

"Only Muslims who are true believers go to heaven after they die, everybody else from any other religion goes to Hell and burns forever" said Mr. Samadi in Farsi.
This remark was made in a small elementary school in Babolsar, the beautiful city where I was born, located in Northern Iran by the Caspian Sea. Mr. Samadi was my religious studies teacher. I was 12 years old and in the Fifth grade. I raised my hand and asked, "But Mr. Samadi you just said a few minutes ago that God is loving and loves all his believers, why he would send someone that he loves to Hell; like Christians if they believe in God?"
Mr. Samadi quickly turned red, got out of his chair and stomped towards me like he was going to kill me. I knew it was not going to be good and the hair on the back of my neck stood on edge. He came and grabbed my ear and pulled it as hard as he could. He started yelling at me to embarrass me in front of the class and he finished his tirade by hitting me in the head a few times. He said the fact that I questioned Allah made me a sinner and I would go to Hell. He continued to yell but my mind shut down. I was so scared of going to Hell and being burned. At that time, I knew being burned hurts a lot and that you have to go to a hospital where they have a special burn unit section to treat you. I wondered if there were any hospitals in Hell and if there were not, would I have to endure that pain for eternity.
That is how I was introduced to Islam. And it was the beginning of many years of questions and doubt and finally a rejection of the Islamic faith.
I grew up in an Islamic country where I became more and more aware of the way the clergy abused people in the name of religion. I wondered how people could believe and blindly follow what they were told. I concluded they were either afraid of going to Hell or they were aware that questioning Allah created a hell on earth. I started to read Quran and see if I could find the truth and if there was anything to enlighten me. But the more I read the Quran, the more I disagreed. The more I disagreed, the more I learned the lesson of speaking from your heart in an Islamic environment. I saw men being hanged and women being stoned on the streets in the name of Islam. The more I saw the more I drifted from Islam, religion and anything to do with it.
Since becoming an adult, I do not consider myself a Muslim. I do not participate in religious ceremonies and keep my distance from fanatic Muslims.
As a child, I remember walking by the Babol River and marveling at the beauty. I have many fond memories. I remember sitting on the benches in front of the river and looking at the fishermen with their nets and their small canoes. I remember children like myself swimming in the water. That is the most beautiful memory I have of my hometown.
Because of my attitude toward Islam, I can never return to Iran. I will never sit by the Babol River again.
A Nazar
Thegoodmormon

Pro

I accept this debate challenge. I don't think those are the real reason that you renounced Islam. The real reason is because you realized that the LDS church is the only true church, and decided to change your religion.

I win this debate.
Aref

Con

Aref forfeited this round.
Thegoodmormon

Pro

Thegoodmormon forfeited this round.
Aref

Con

Aref forfeited this round.
Thegoodmormon

Pro

Thegoodmormon forfeited this round.
Aref

Con

Aref forfeited this round.
Thegoodmormon

Pro

Thegoodmormon forfeited this round.
Aref

Con

Aref forfeited this round.
Thegoodmormon

Pro

Thegoodmormon forfeited this round.
Posted by baggins 4 years ago
baggins
@ Royalpaladin

Only if it is true, I hope.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
What is being argued?
Posted by royalpaladin 4 years ago
royalpaladin
I care about his story, Clash. It should be splashed everywhere.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
Nazar, in the nicest way, this is a spam debate. I mean spam in the sense that there is no actual meaning to this debate. It's good to spread your ideas and experience, but a debate is not the right way to do it. If you want to, type up somewhere the exact resolution. I could interpret this to mean that Iran has a good government, or Islam is bad, or islamic fundamentalism is a bad political ideology. There's too many interpretations. Either state explicitly this is an "open debate" (meaning that you can debate anything if it is a slight interpretation of the title) or make it a "closed debate" by stating the exact resolution.
Posted by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
Great post, Aref.
Posted by yuiru 4 years ago
yuiru
What would I be arguing if I was pro? would I be critiquing the writing in a positive manner?
Would I be saying why this is a good piece of writing?
Posted by elvroin_vonn_trazem 4 years ago
elvroin_vonn_trazem
Perhaps Pro should be someone who has the task of showing why you should believe in Islam. Of course, since mere unproved claims about burning in Hell are worthless, the task could be difficult.
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
"Aref, no one cares about your story."
Oh, so suddenly you are the speaker for everyone?
Posted by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
Aref, no one cares about your story. Anyway, you seem to be confident that what you leaved behind you was real Islam, so why don't you create a real debate or challenge me? Maybe a debate about if Islam is a religion of terrorism or if the Quran is from God? Or if you want, I can challenge you?
Posted by baggins 4 years ago
baggins
If you just want to discuss it, forums would be more appropriate. Debates are meant for one to one arguments on some resolution.