anurag7017
TheOpinionist

Why India needs net neutrality?

Started: 7/26/2015 Category: Technology

anurag7017

Pro

Network neutrality ensure equal, fair and open access to internet for all and seeks to achieve this by legally preventing any blocking, throttling or paid prioritization of any content on internet or any applications that use the internet to deliver that content to the end user.
Telcom co. lose revenue when the user shifts to internet based services. This will make it difficult for them to invest in network enhancement, or innovate to ensure better services to the users.
TheOpinionist

Con

Thanks to my opponent for issuing this challenge :3

I will be arguing that not only does India not need net neutrality, but that nobody needs net neutrality. I won't stop there, though, as I will be arguing that the existence of net neutrality is a net loss for society (haha see what I did there? "net loss?").

Let's start with a definition:
Net Neutrality: "the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites."

This seems awesome, but is it really? No. And here's why.

Contention 1: The Inequality Argument

Under net neutrality, web providers could not favor one source over another. This is ridiculously flawed, though, as Netflix is not the same as a high schooler's blog, and YouTube is more important than MySpace. Without net neutrality, service providers can make YouTube faster, assisting millions of people, at the expense of the three readers of "Skeeter's Blog," a blog about how much Skeeter hates homework. With net neutrality, though, YouTube is made slower not just by having to be equal with "Skeeter's Blog," but with "Cooking with Sheila," "whyiambetterthanyou.com," and "Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats: An Interpretive Dance."

Service providers should have the right to choose which sites are faster by which generate and which better serve the people. MySpace doesn't get nearly as much traffic as Facebook, but under net neutrality, they are treated the same, so they're either both really fast or both really slow, and we don't have the money to make them both really fast.

It's like 6AM where I live and I have to leave now :/I'm super busy, but I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate.

*All refrences to Skeeter, Sheila, and/or any form of dance are fictional and meant to represent real things.
anurag7017

Pro

anurag7017 forfeited this round.
TheOpinionist

Con

Fffffffffffffffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooo
anurag7017

Pro

anurag7017 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheOpinionist 2 years ago
TheOpinionist
Lol yep. Skeeters Blog has more viewers than MySpace
Posted by Greg4586 2 years ago
Greg4586
" YouTube is more important than MySpace." Well to be fair isn't just about everything more important than MySpace
Posted by TheOpinionist 2 years ago
TheOpinionist
post an argument please. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee