usman.ghani13
1Credo

Why Islam is true religion and acknowledge Christianity and Judaism

1Credo

usman.ghani13

Pro

Firstly: Textual Evidence

The evidence includes the texts that came prophesying the advent of Islam and the Prophet of Islam, whether in the previous scriptures or in the Quran; the Book of Islam.

In Deuteronomy 18:18, we find that God spoke to Moses and said to him that He will raise from among their brethren a Prophet like unto him (Moses) and he (the prophet) will speak of God. In so many other places in the Bible, we will get the names of 'the Prophet' in combination with the messiah and the Baptist. This Prophet is none but Muhammad; the Prophet of Islam.

Also, he is referred to in the Bible as 'Elijah' coming from the Arabian Peninsula. There is also a reference to the light coming from the mountains of Pharan.

The textual evidence in the previous books are also referred to in the Quran in the stories of the Jews and Christians and the glad tidings given by Jesus to his people that there will be a final Prophet coming after him whose name will be Ahmad.

In Surah 3 (Aal-Imran), Almighty Allah tells us that He has taken the covenant from all prophets and messengers to believe in this final prophet who comes with the same message that is monotheism, the true message of Allah sent with all prophets and messengers.

Secondly: Logical Evidence

The very message of Jesus and his short stay on earth show that there was a need for another prophet to come settling all issues and showing complete course of guidance for all humans. This conforms with the saying of Jesus himself that he came not to initiate something new but to fulfill.

The world, before the advent of the Prophet of Islam was in a case of a total disruption and complete disorder. There were two main superpowers that engaged in a series of wars and fierce fighting, there was no place for the weak; rather, social injustice was spread everywhere and man"s condition went, in terms of morality, to alarming levels.

This unjust chaos and total disruption showed that there was a need for a religion that could re-establish order again. This was the condition of the world when Islam came with a complete social justice system, rights and equality, illumination and morality.

Thirdly: Other Evidences

There are so many other evidences that Islam is a religion of truth. Among them are the following:
The Quran is the eternal message of Islam and a timeless miracle that no one can produce the like thereof. Arabs, who were masters of linguistic excellence, could not produce the like of the shortest verse of the Quran when they were challenged to do so.
Islam calls for understanding and a deep search in one's self, in the creation of the heavens and earth and the contemplation in everything around man. Had Islam been a false religion, it would have asked man to cripple his mind and paralyze his intelligence and stop thinking about anything. (see Surahs 2:164, 6:11, and 6:95-100)
Modern science testifies to Islam; the Quran contains lots of scientific facts that were completely unknown at the time of its revelation. They were just discovered recently. This is in itself standing evidence on the truthfulness of the Quran. The Quran gives facts about the life of the fetus in its mother"s womb (23:12-14), the layers of the earth (76:2-3, 65:12), stars and planets, the fall of the rain and lots of other issues that are only known to scientists who are deep in knowledge.
There were lots of material miracles that were performed and eye-witnessed during the life-time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). Among these miracles is the flow of water from between his fingers, the dividing of the moon into two pieces, his speech to a lizard which was able to tell that he is the messenger of Allah besides so many other miracles that were performed and eye-witnessed by his contemporaries.
1Credo

Con

1. Acceptance

I accept. Thanks for creating this debate, Pro. I'm looking forward to a good discussion.

2. Burden of Proof

In this debate, Pro will need to shoulder the burden of proof in order to justify his claim that Islam is the true religion.

3. Rebuttal

I will address the points made by Pro before moving on to give my own arguments. All sources can be found at the bottom of the page.

i. "Textual Evidence"

Pro quotes Deuteronomy 18:18 and mentions other Biblical verses in which a prophet is mentioned. But why should we think that Muhammad is the prophet mentioned? Pro fails to provide justification for his assertion that "this prophet is none but Muhammad; the Prophet of Islam."

Pro goes on to assert that the Jewish prophet Elijah was actually Muhammad, the prophet of Islam. Again, we are given no justification for this extreme assertion and therefore have no reason to accept that Muhammad was Elijah or any other prophet mentioned in the Old Testament. Furthermore, I would point out that Elijah lived between 800-900 BC, while Muhammad lived between 550-650 AD. This begs the question of Muhammad could possibly have been Elijah, as to my understanding he was not capable of time travel.

Pro's idea that Jesus suggested a "final Prophet" would come after Him is unfounded. The Quran cannot be used as evidence for this point, as this would be circular reasoning. The Bible gives no evidence to support this idea either. Instead, Jesus of Nazareth warns against future false prophets on several occasions. To give just one example, "False messiahs and false prophets will arise, and they will perform signs and wonders so great as to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect. Behold, I have told it to you beforehand. So if they say to you, 'He is in the desert,' do not go out there; if they say, 'He is in the inner rooms,' do not believe it." -Matthew 24:24-26

ii. "Logical Evidence"

"The very message of Jesus and his short stay on earth show that there was a need for another prophet to come"

I have already addressed this point. By no stretch of the imagination did Jesus suggest that there was any sort of need for another prophet to come. I would ask Pro to provide scriptural evidence to back this claim.

"The world, before the advent of the Prophet of Islam was in a case of a total disruption and complete disorder"

The suggestion that Islam saved our previously hopeless world is nearly comical. I don't think I need to provide sources to refute this point, just take a look at the world around you. There is no better example today of disruption and disorder than the Islamic societies in the Middle East.

iii. "Other Evidences"

"The Quran is the eternal message of Islam and a timeless miracle that no one can produce the like thereof"

Plenty of holy books have been produced by plenty of religions, both before and after Islam. I see no reason to believe that the Quran is anything but a largely plagiarized book.

"Islam calls for understanding and a deep search in one's self, in the creation of the heavens and earth and the contemplation in everything around man"

I think it is very good that Islam does this, but so do many other religions. Why should this serve as evidence that Islam is true?

"Modern science testifies to Islam"

Science testifies no more to Islam than it does to any other religion. Even if modern science were completely in line with Islam (which I don't believe it is,) this would do nothing to show that Islam was therefore the true religion.

"There were lots of material miracles that were performed and eye-witnessed during the life-time of the Prophet Muhammad"

I addressed this point earlier, but I'll reinstate it. The Quran and it's content cannot be used as evidence in favor of Islam. Pro must provide independent sources to these miracles in order to avoid circular argumentation.

4. Arguments

i. The Muslim conception of God is not maximally great

Typically, God is defined as a maximally great being. This means that God is maximal in all great-making properties. For example, God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good. If a conception of God were to be less than maximally great, then that conception would be false as it is conceivable that an even greater being exists, which would itself be God. The Islamic conception of God is not maximally great. An all-good God would have to be an all-loving God. The Islam conception of God is not an all-loving God, but rather a semi-loving God. Let's take a look at some examples found in the Quran that show the Islamic conception of God to be less-than all-loving:

"Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers" 2:98
"Allah does not like every sinning disbeliever" 2:276
"If they turn away- then indeed, Allah does not like the disbelievers" 3:32
"Allah does not like the wrongdoers" 3:57
"Allah does not like those who are self-deluding and boastful" 4:36
"Allah does not like transgressors" 5:87
"He does not like those who commit excess" 6:141
"Allah does not like traitors" 8:58

We can conclude from these examples that the less-than all-loving conception of God found in Islam is not a distortion or selection of a single verse, but rather a common theme displayed throughout the Quran. It follows, then, that the Islamic conception of God is inadequate and that a greater being exists instead.

ii. The Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth

I'm going to have to be brief with these points, as I am running out of typing room.

Islam cannot account for the facts surrounding the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. These facts, best presented by Dr. William Lane Craig, include:

FACT #1: After his crucifixion, Jesus was buried in a tomb by Joseph of Arimathea.

There are no other competing burial stories (which we would expect if this burial story was false) than the one attested to by St. Paul in 1 Corinthians.

FACT #2: On the Sunday following the crucifixion, Jesus’ tomb was found empty by a group of his women followers.

The fact the the scripture tells us the tomb of Jesus was found empty by "women followers" is essential. We would expect the witnesses to be men if this was a lie, as women's testament was worthless. Furthermore, Jewish opponents of Christ claimed that the body was stolen by His followers. This is evidence that the tomb was in fact empty, otherwise these enemies would have no reason to make such a claim.

FACT #3: On multiple occasions and under various circumstances, different individuals and groups of people experienced appearances of Jesus alive from the dead.

Independent attestations of these appearances can be found in each of the four Gospels.

FACT #4: The original disciples believed that Jesus was risen from the dead despite their having every predisposition to the contrary.

There was no room in Jewish belief for a Messiah that would die (or rise from the dead.) The actions of the original disciples, if the resurrection did not occur, should have been to abandon their belief that Jesus was God. However, they believed so strongly that Jesus was raised from the dead (in conflict with the Jewish belief) that they went to their deaths proclaiming the truth of it. I can't think of anyone who would die for a cause in which they were lying about.

5. Summary

I have responded to each of the points made by Pro in this opening round. I showed that Muhammad was not a Biblical prophet (certainly not Elijah) and addressed each of the unfounded assertions made by Pro. Furthermore, I provided two arguments that show Islam is not the true religion. As Pro has the burden of proof, he must knock down both of these arguments and in their place give us his own sound arguments in favor of his position. Until he does this, Pro has failed to carry the burden of proof to justify his claim that Islam is the true religion.

http://www.biography.com...
http://www.britannica.com...
http://www.vatican.va...
http://quran.com...
http://www.reasonablefaith.org...
usman.ghani13

Pro

usman.ghani13 forfeited this round.
1Credo

Con

I have nothing to add, as my opponent has forfeited his last argument.
usman.ghani13

Pro

usman.ghani13 forfeited this round.
1Credo

Con

I ask voters to vote Con due to forfeit.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
@Neoman

I outline the main reason I have to accept Jesus as God in the debate: namely that the facts surrounding the resurrection story have no plausible conclusion except that God did in fact raise Jesus from the dead. And if this is true, it would seem absurd to reject Jesus!
I accept the Bible for the very same reasons. The Bible is a compilation of books that are essential to Christianity. The New Testament is written by many authors, each of whom believed that Jesus of Nazareth was God and each of whom held membership in the Church that was initiated by Jesus during His time on Earth. As it is the Bible that came from this Church, and not the other way around, I think it is perfectly reasonable to accept the Bible given that it comes directly from God's Church.
Posted by Neoman 2 years ago
Neoman
@con you have no reason to accept muhammad. Yet what reasons do you have to accept jesus? you dont accept quran as the book of "god", yet you accept bible. why is that?
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God. And if they do not desist from what they are saying, there will surely afflict the disbelievers among them a painful punishment.

They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.

Does this not show that Christianity and Muslims do not come close to believing the same thing. Islam dies not give credit to God or Mary.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
Which arguments did I leave out? I will gladly address any that I missed, but I'm fairly sure I refuted each of them.

"Pro said that science testified the Quran and he provided evidence."

Pro gave examples of the Quran testifying to science (i.e. fetus in the womb, layers of the Earth, etc.) Pro did not provide a single example of modern science testifying to the Quran. Furthermore, Pro is making the claim that modern science testifies to Islam, and as such he takes the burden of proof for this claim upon himself. That burden of proof was not fulfilled.

"Cherry-picked some phrases out of context..."

In what way were the passages taken directly from several different parts of the Quran "cherry-picked"? The Quran as a whole (not in some individual, obscured passage, as I showed in my argument) presents a God that is not all-loving.
Posted by Mussab 2 years ago
Mussab
Con left out most of Pros arguments and just cherry-picked some phrases out of context to "prove" his point. If you are gonna play that way. I see no reason that people should vote for Con. Pro said that science testifies the Quran and he provided evidence. You just simply said "No it doesn't"
Posted by usman.ghani13 2 years ago
usman.ghani13
cheyennebodie

Thanks for your participation and i appreciate that your questions are very sensible and interesting.

Jesus was not Messiah according to JUDAISM only, Islam gave equal respect to Jesus as a prophet of GOD and Mary as his mother. Christianity birth year is 33 CE and Islam was founded in 622 CE so it took 590 years by GOD to sent the last messenger on earth. Why GOD didn't send prophet earlier is non-debatable topic like you cant tell me when Judaism was born because there is no such year mentioned anywhere.

As i mentioned Bible draft has changed many times by its followers and you cant tell what's true and what's not. The holy book Quran is protected by GOD himself and there is a proof that its in the original draft from 622 CE till now and will remain original INSHALLAH (by the will of GOD)

Coming to you point Life of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) is not filled with any such blood shed. He never killed or gave instructions to killed captured enemies. His kindness and forgiveness turned many non muslims into muslim.

When he captured Makkah and Islam dominated whole ARAB, he forgave every enemy including the girl who killed his uncle and ate his liver. You can visit Islamic websites for thousands of such examples about HIS kindness.

I am not saying you are wrong or I am right, you are educated person go explore Holy Quran in English and compare it with other books you will come to know the answer. Few sources are

https://www.alislam.org...

JAZAKALLAH
Posted by usman.ghani13 2 years ago
usman.ghani13
Emilirose:

First of all thank you for participating in this debate, the basic principle of any debate is to listen and respect other's arguments so we all must listen bravely without using any abusive words against each other's opinions and i am expecting a knowledge debate with all friends.

Coming to your point Islam is a distorted copy of Judaism and Christianity. Let me ask you first that Judaism considers not only ISLAM as fake religion but also Christianity as a Fake religion and both religions have worlds majority of population (islam has 1.6 billion followers and christianity has 2.1 billion followers) comparing to Judaism who has actually distorted version of bible (Jewish changed the actual message for their own convenience) and who has only 12 million population.

Muhammad had 12 wives and for your kind information only one wife was virgin, why don't you think that the leader of Muslim world couldn't find virgin girls for getting married? the reason why he married 12 girls was just to give those widows a status in the society and to take care of their families. The one you mentioned six year old was only virgin wife he had and there are no such authentic sources that confirms the age was six year. She was very young at the age of her marriage around 13-16 years and at that time young girls used to get married in that age.

These are all false claims that you used for the Prophet of GOD, you wont get true information about ISLAM on internet because you see the content on internet controlled by Jewish and christians and they consider ISLAM their utmost enemy because if you open wikipedia you will come to know from 2000 ONWARDS THE ISLAM IS THE MOST EMERGING RELIGION WITH GROWTH RATE OF 1.86 AND CHRISTIANITY HAS ONLY 1.3 AND JUDAISM HAS ONLY 0.72 growth rate.
Posted by Emilirose 2 years ago
Emilirose
Islam is essentially a (distorted) copy of Judaism, Christianity and Pagan beliefs. Prophet Muhammed was not a prophet, and the Bible did not predict his coming.

Additionally, this "disruption" and "disorder" increased with the arrival of Islam. Muhammed promoted the killing of non-believers and apostates. Both Jews and Christians are subjugated.

The suggestion that Jesus laid the way for Muhammed also really fails. And to even compare the two, is astounding. Muhammed is the man that had a bride at the age of six, while having other child slaved. He committed murder (the most important of commandments), rape, adultery, pedophilia, and a whole host of other sinful things.

As con highlighted, there is nothing to support your assertions. Your "textual evidence" is just laughable.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
And another thing. If jesus was not Messiah, why did it take God 700 years to correct things. Why did he let Christianity take such a foothold on the world?Just asking.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I se you have no problem quoting Jesus when it fits your quran.How about when Jesus said that He and the Father are one. Or when he said no man comes to the Father but by me. You are like all other manmade religions, you pick and choose what to believe from the bible. You are no less guilty of that than is Catholicism or any of the many isms made out of Christianity. And because you pick and choose, the vast majority of the word is confusing to you.

One thing that is different. Your foundation is not Jesus. But mohammed. And he was and is not Messiah.He is not from God, but the unholy one. Even the religions that get a large portion of the word wrong still have that nagging foundation that keeps them in check. You on the other hand have the life and history of mohammed, a violent and deadly warrior.Killing, stealing and destroying.
Vote Placed by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
usman.ghani131CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to con, and he made more of a convincing argument.
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 2 years ago
TrasguTravieso
usman.ghani131CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct-FF Arguments-Con adequately answered every one of Pro's assertions and made a positive case of his own.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
usman.ghani131CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture