glozellgreen117
enderwiggin

Why JJ Abrams should be directing Star Wars episode 8

Started: 6/12/2016 Category: Movies

glozellgreen117

Pro

Why on earth has JJ Abrams taken a back seat in directing the new movie. The Force Awakens was a real tribute to the originals. It showed of his magnificent skills as a director and made many fans extremely pleased and thrilled with the movie.
enderwiggin

Con

I accept. While I do enjoy JJ Abram's works (Star Trek films), I believe that stepping back from Episode 8 is the best move for the franchise. Abrams was brought on to entice the old fan base back by creating a nostalgic film, and lure in the hipsters who recognize his name. He fulfilled his mission. There is nothing further that he can accomplish to aid the franchise.
glozellgreen117

Pro

glozellgreen117 forfeited this round.
enderwiggin

Con

enderwiggin forfeited this round.
glozellgreen117

Pro

glozellgreen117 forfeited this round.
enderwiggin

Con

Pro forfeits. Vote for me. I will, however, continue.

Yes, Abrams made a nice tribute to the original trilogy. Yes, The Force Awakens was decent. However, do we really want another 'nostalgic tribute' to the originals in episode 8? No. That would be repetitive and boring. We want these movies to be fun on their own, to stand as their own trilogy. The value of ditching Abrams is this: It allows the series to have a different perspective. Presumably the new director will breath a different life into the movie, and present a different style for the film. I mean, TFA was nice, but once the nostalgia factor has worn off, what is left? Might as well swing for the fences, rather than take a single.
glozellgreen117

Pro

glozellgreen117 forfeited this round.
enderwiggin

Con

Pro forfeits again. Vote Con.