Believe_InIslam
PikeTooth

Why Jesus Can't be God

Believe_InIslam

Pro

In Christianity, There are ten commandments. The first one, which is undeniably one of the most important, says that, You shall have no Gods before me. It sounds simple, since my religion (Islam) also believes in the following of one god. As it is mentioned in many other Islam Vs. Christianity debates, one of the most well known mistakes in Christianity is the fact that they worship Jesus as God which directly defys the first commandment. It had come to my attention that It is also believed in Christianity that Jesus is God himself, a basic hollow shell forged for God but while still maintaining divinity, is lower then the Angels of God. If Jesus is indeed god, then why would God himself be below his very creations? The ones bound eternally to him.

Evidence extracted from:

John 10:30-33 " I and The Father Are One."
PikeTooth

Con

As Pro said in their argument, there are 10 commandments found in Exodus 20: 3-17. The first one being "You shall have no other gods before Me." Pro also states that Christians worshiping Jesus as God they are making a "well known mistake" in that religion. However, being Con, I will argue that Jesus was, is, and can be God.

I will start off with a Bible verse; John 10:30 where Jesus says "I and the Father are one." Also there is the verse in Genesis 1:26a where God says "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness"" God is both singular AND multiple. More proof for this can be found in Isaiah 6:8 when God was commissioning Isaiah to speak to the Jews. ""heard the voice of the LORD saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for Us?" Here God is referring to both His singularity ("Whom shall I send") and His multiple composition ("Who will go for Us").

Another proof that Jesus was God which I'm sure Pro and most viewers know about was Jesus' crucifixion. Think about this, if Jesus wasn't God, why bother to die for mankind? It wouldn't mean anything. That would be like me going to the edge of a cliff and leaping off to save mankind. It wouldn't do much good, would it? Only a perfect, sinless God Himself could "carry enough value to ransom mankind from the consequences of sin." * In Matthew 17:1-8 Jesus was transformed as witnessed by Peter, James, and John. The chapter states that "There He (Jesus) was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. " While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased. Listen to Him!" God said to the three disciples with Jesus that Jesus was indeed His own Son and commanded us plainly to "Listen to Him!" If we are looking at obeying God (which by Pro using the first commandment as basis for this debate I shall assume we are) then we MUST listen to what Jesus says. Jesus states in John 18:5 "I am He" or quiet literally, "I am." This holds much significance because in Exodus 3:1-5 God appears to Moses in burning bush states "I AM." By Jesus making the statement that He is the "I AM" and is therefor God.

In closing my response that God is both God and Jesus, I will answer Pro's first point which is that by worshiping Jesus as God Christians are disregarding (or breaking) the first commandment. However, the only way to break that commandment is to worship ANOTHER god. But, by worshipping Jesus as God, we (Christians) are not worshipping two gods or putting a god before God, Jesus IS God, they are one in the same. They are not to be worshiped or thought of as separate, they are one.

The second argument that Pro brought up was "If Jesus is indeed God, then why would God Himself be below His very creations? The ones bound eternally to Him." The first thing I want to correct here is that God (as Jesus while on earth) was never below His creations. Yes, he was tempted, tested, hurt, and even killed just like man can be. However, unlike man, Jesus never gave in to temptation, He passed all of the tests, and He conquered the grave and rose again making it possible for life after death and for mankind to have a chance to live eternally in heaven. God never was below us, merely with us.
Now for the "why" of Pro's argument. The answer is a relatively simple one, but eternally complex. God sent Jesus to earth (please keep in mind that God IS Jesus, but sent Jesus as His Son to earth as a part of Himself) to suffer, and be scorned, and hated, and die because He loved us. God loved mankind so much that He sacrificed His one and only Son (Himself!) to die for a sinful mankind just because He loved us so much that He didn't want to see a single one of us be punished eternally for our sins. God wanted us to have the choice to accept this mighty gift and be allowed into heaven even though not one single person on earth ever did anything to deserve to get there. Here is verses from Genesis 1:26-27 "Then God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." This is why God loves us so much. He made us specifically to be like Him, in His image. The next verse begins "God blessed them…" Wow. God started us off with a blessing. He didn't just send us off with a "Good luck out there! Call Me if you need Me!" He blessed us the moment He created us - before we had even done anything to be blessed for!

In conclusion, Christians do not worship two separate beings as God but worship Jesus and God as one in the same. And the reason God sent Jesus to earth, to humble His unparalleled perfectness and glory to our pitiful level, was because of His great, unfailing, immovable love for us.

* http://www.tedmontgomery.com...
Believe_InIslam

Pro

Believe_InIslam forfeited this round.
PikeTooth

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round.
Believe_InIslam

Pro

Believe_InIslam forfeited this round.
PikeTooth

Con

My opponent has again forfeit.
Believe_InIslam

Pro

Believe_InIslam forfeited this round.
PikeTooth

Con

My opponent has again forfeit.
Believe_InIslam

Pro

Believe_InIslam forfeited this round.
PikeTooth

Con

PikeTooth forfeited this round.
Posted by DeeAnn 3 years ago
DeeAnn
That depends on how you interpret it; Elsa from Frozen sings "I'm one with the wind and sky" and yet Elsa is not wind nor sky. It can be argued that was a figurative meaning, perhaps indicating they have the same goal or ideology. However I won't debate you because I agree that Jesus isn't god, and as a Christian I seldom come across people who believe that.