LifeCycle
RowanM

Why Politics is Stupid

LifeCycle

Pro

This is the start of a 3 round argument. Your objective is to try to convince me on how politics (different from government), is completely arbitrary and of no use to us. There are really no rules accept to avoid stupidity, thanks.
-----------
My Argument:
Politics is pointless. I know how government keeps us in order, but the whole idea of majority rules, and 2 political figures fighting for supremacy is redundant. We fight with ourselves, and only satisfy a percentage. I do understand people want certain policies in action, and will vote for the candidate who is closest to their ideals, but is that really the right way to go? It creates a sort of anti-nationalism among those who lost, and the leaders we elect do so little for the majority of us. As they affect people in particular, and not helping (almost) everyone. I'm interested to see who can turn my ideals around. Thanks for viewing! *Note: this is for countries with representative democracies.*
RowanM

Con

Fine, I'll bite.

There are much more forms of democracy that work better. Like representative democracy. You have more than two parties which you vote on, and then 150 seats are divided by all those parties based on how many votes they have. The government does help people. It builds roads, provides safety and social security (in some cases). These are things that private companies cannot do.
LifeCycle

Pro

Biting back.

Representative democracy CAN work. It is not viable on a grander scale, and I would like to point out that I have no problem with government itself. It's infinitely useful for humans, but I have a problem with the way politics works. It's conducted and practiced in more of the manner of a caged boxing fight, then in a civilized manner.
RowanM

Con

The way you see politics as a highly competitive thing is naturally because there are so many people with so many different opinions. When politics was done in a civilized manner, it was because only rich men could vote. They shared the same opinions so they agreed on most things. But later, working class people acquired suffrage, and then women. Each all had highly different priorities. Naturally it has become more of a battle to win people over for your cause, and that is logical.
LifeCycle

Pro

My final response is short and to the point. I don't care for voting, and "sides". What I care about is what the officials do when they get elected. The majority go corrupt, sell out to private businesses. Politics is easily corruptible, but yet we still participate? We put all our trust, what many of us (races and sexes) fought to get, on a never-ending, completely arbitrary argument. To that, what has the senate done for YOU, in the past decade! That IS modern-day politics, and unless we come up with a solution, the economy, jobs, and life will be pointless. The idea of electing anyone (whoever wants to run) is stupid, but government is not.
RowanM

Con

Closing argument incoming. I don't live in America but in Holland. I don't want to sound holier than thou but corruption here is really low. The main problem here is not corporations towering over the government, but tax money being too high and thus discouring entrepeneurship. It's like the opposite.
My point being: the system of democracy is not the fault, it's the people that participate in it. Fighting corruption is a neverending battle, but what's the alternative? Communism? Anarchy? Democracy as we have it now is currently the best-working system when it comes to politics. Everyone gets an equal vote, everyone gets a chance to say what's on their mind. So don't hate politics, hate the people who partake in it.
Posted by PO2 3 years ago
PO2
You are asking someone to debate that politics are of no use to us, when you yourself are also debating that politics are of no use to us. That isn't much of a debate. Please rephrase your first round question.
Posted by Kleptin 3 years ago
Kleptin
I'll take this if you reduce it to 3 rounds.