Openmide
Mikal

Why Republicans seam set on having a personal arsenal in their gun safes

Mikal

Openmide

Con

I believe that the Republican Party's obsession with the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is insane. The idea that a farmer might need a gun to defend his cattle from hungry animal, or that someone might want to go hunting is perfectly reasonable. However, I have never seen a hunter go hunting with an AK-47, or a farmer kill a wolf with a machine gun.
Many people believe that the second Amendment is meant to protect our rights, but I believe that the 2nd Amendment was inserted in the Bill of Rights to allow us to form militias and arm those militias when our country was threatened or when our government broke free of the bond that checks and balances have placed on it. Still, we have the largest army in the world (and most technically advanced), and our government is far from a dictatorship. Besides if either of those events happened what do you really think some hunters AK-47 is gunna do?
Mikal

Pro

I accept this debate and await my adversaries first round.

From what I am gathering from this resolution, this a gun control debate. I Pro Will be defending Gun Rights, and Con shall take up defense with a gun control argument.
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
Mikal

Pro

Since I think my adversary may FF all rounds, I will wait to the last round or until he responds to post my contentions
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
Mikal

Pro

I do not think my adversary will post an argument therefore I will wait to later to post a contention. No point in building a huge argument if every round is going to be ffed.
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
Mikal

Pro

I will wait to the last round to try and present a small case due to non stop ffs
Openmide

Con

Openmide forfeited this round.
Mikal

Pro

I think con is drastically misunderstanding what Gun control is.

The issue is not banning assault rifles, that would accomplish nothing. There are around 30,00 or so deaths per year related to gun incidents. 6,000 of which consist of handguns. An ak-47 or other fully automatic gun only contribute to 300 deaths out of this [1]. To put this more realistically hand guns cause 20 times the amount of deaths fully automatic guns cause. 300 also being only 1 percent or less of the total number of gun deaths yearly.

The issue with this is that a ban on ak 47s would accomplish nothing. You would have to implement a buy back system for ars and hand guns alike that would cost in the billions and then cross your fingers people would actually turn them back in for cash.

It is nearly impossible to put a limit on guns that are out in civilian hands or stop production of guns for ultimately no cause.

The estimated number of guns is nearly 300,000,000[1] or slightly more in civilian hands. It would be impossible to recall or implement regulations to try and get all of these guns back.

The point being is that a full scale Gun control scheme would not work. It would increase the chance of tyranny ,cost a lot of money and accomplish nothing, and it would be virtually impossible to recall all of the guns in civilian ownership.

[1] http://www.gunpolicy.org...
Posted by ararmer1919 3 years ago
ararmer1919
thank you TheOncomingStorm. And Romanii to answer your question no I don't think I or the millions of Americans would stand even the slightest chance. But it all goes back to my quote "Id rather die on my feet then live on my knees." If you do not understand the meaning of this quote then please look it up. Also as a military member I can tell you that a large number of service men and women would join the civilians and fight against a tyrannical government in a heart beat. Not sure about the army but I know for a fact that almost the entire Marine Corps and the Navy would side with the American people. in fact about a year ago they actually gave us a nondisclosed survey asking us just this very question. Many Unit commanders and Generals have openly expressed, especially to us, that if the time ever came that the government became to tyrannical that they would call on us to defend the American people and take down the government. In fact this very thing, though on a smaller scale, almost happened not 4 years ago when the Commanding General of US forces in Afghanistan attempted to defy President Obamas decisions on Afghanistan and went to Afghan to take direct control of the military against Obama. Not to take down the government or bring down Obama or anything but he was going to fight the war in his way free of civilian government command.
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 3 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
@Romanii: Look at ararmer's profile picture. Do you not think he has knowledge of the military and its capabilities? He doesn't need an excuse to have a gun. Hear out what he has to say, and at least take a basic glance at who he is before attacking his position.
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
@ararmer:
Ah, it's the generation Z hater again...
So you really believe that if the government were to become oppressive, you could stop the entire US military with your rifle? That just seems like an excuse to have a gun.
Posted by spencerd 3 years ago
spencerd
Okay. To start of with, our military fights for our freedom every day. Please do not get the wrong impression later in this comment. I personally do not agree with the war that is currently going on, however, that is way beyond my control to stop. The second amendment was created for people to be able to form a militia against a tyrannical government. If you have currently been reading about the events that have been taking place, it seems as if we cannot trust our government anymore. I don't trust our government with anything after all the lies they have told us. Such as: weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, they lied that Iraq was tied to Al-Queda, they lie about the rescue of Jessica Lynch, the murder of Pat Tillman, and the lies continue. My point is, how could you trust the military if something were to happen in our homeland? For example, hurricane Katrina, the MILITARY went through New orleans and confiscated the firearms from citizens due to people robbing and stealing which left innocent people defenseless. Oh and about an AK-47 or M4 carbine, citizens should be allowed to own those types of firearms because you never know when a disaster will strike when you realize you need those weapons. FEMA is already prepping for something big to happen so why shouldn't you? Gun bans are complete bs! Along with gun free zones! Say I am a criminal, there is a gun free store next to a armed staff member store. Which store do you think I am more likely to rob? Well I would obviously go with the gun free store because I know that it is safe and i won't have to risk my life robbing a store. Common sense.
Posted by ararmer1919 3 years ago
ararmer1919
"I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees" this quote mean anything to you? Or are you one of these new generation guys that are pretty much giant cowards and are totally fine with total submission and complete government control over their lives without so much as an attempt at fighting back because it might be an inconvenience from thier video game time?
Posted by Openmide 3 years ago
Openmide
I completely agree with you. As far as defending yourself against the government there is no chance, but they do give people the ability to take many lives. Like in Connecticut or Virginia Tech
Posted by Jacob60rt 3 years ago
Jacob60rt
Our government has predator drones so how does it matter if Americans keep an AK-47? If the government becomes tyrannical that means we will have the full might of the Army against the people who refuse to lay down their rights, there possessions there lives.
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
OpenmideMikalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave a good argument, although Con wasn't here to put it to the test. Pro also provided a source and didn't ff any rounds.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
OpenmideMikalTied
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
OpenmideMikalTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF... and what do guns have to do with sewing seams into things?