ProfesserZ
Tepar

Why alot of gaming is healthy

Started: 5/9/2016 Category: Games

ProfesserZ

Con

I want my opponent to tell me why a lot of gaming is healthy and fun now I need a really good opponent since with this debate the odds are stacked against him
Tepar

Pro

Hey ProfessorZ! Not sure if I'm the "good" opponent you're looking for as this is my first debate, but I'm up for a challenge.

First off, I'll start with my main reasons why gaming can be beneficial for your health:

-Volumetric Brain Increase: It has been shown that different games have many beneficial factors for your health. A study was done on gamers who played "Super Mario 64" for a week in one group, and non-gamers in the other. While the non-gamers were the exact same as when the study started, the gamers had a "rise in gray matter in the right hippocampus, the right pre-frontal cortex and the cerebellum - areas of the brain responsible for spatial navigation, memory formation, strategic planning and fine motor skills in the hands."

-Can Improve Reading Skills In Children With Dyslexia: Fast-paced action games can actually help dyslexic children with their reading speed and accuracy, due to the quick reading, especially with subtitles.

-Gaming Can Act As A Pain Reliever: It was found that people being treated for wounds or going through chemotherapy had a significant drop in pain when playing videos games. This is due to your brain using your senses for video games (especially virtual reality) and taking the focus off of stress, anxiety and pain.

-Socializing: This one's pretty obvious, but more beneficial than just playing with friends. Due to the worldwide player search for most games, people with depression and anxiety can get to know people more easily, developing their social skills. Games can help improve their confidence and help socially anxious people to branch out more.

-Anger Management: You may see people playing games that tend to rage a bit. This is actually helpful for them as they release anger through the game. The same goes for calmer people. Completing missions and hunting bad guys can help them get their anger and stress out. It's certainly better for them to be angry at the game, rather than taking it out on everyone around them.

-Fitness Games: People who play games such as Wii Sports and XBox Kinect can have an enjoyable time exercising at home, while at the same time exercising their eyes (this goes for action, and fast-paced games). For example, in Call Of Duty games, you're exercising your eyes as you need to spot enemies immediately. This also improves your reflexes, causing quicker movement.

-Slowing The Aging Process: Playing brain-teasing and puzzling games can actually slow the aging process of different cognitive skills. A study done on a variety of people aged 50+ showed this when some slowed the decline of cognitive skills by up to seven years, in ten hours.

That'll be all for now, good luck!
ProfesserZ

Con

Well I am always interested to hear parents" feedback and opinions around gaming and their childrens" computer use. Whilst our e-learning products contain gaming elements in a purely educational environment, I am aware that many of your children will be also be active gamers if you have some " about which you will all have conflicting views, I am sure!

i enjoyed reading this article and wanted to share its findings (courtesy of Jason (Frugal Dad) "Gaming is good for you" " www.frugaldad.com)

here is what they said

My kids can"t seem to get enough of their video games. I can take away the Xbox 360"s power cord or tell the kids to go outside and play, but at the end of the day, they simply want to keep on playing. Fortunately, more and more research is coming out that distinguishes healthy, responsible gaming from the excessive, zoned out variety.

Our latest infographic goes over some really great things video games are responsible for. It"s pretty surprising to find that genre to genre, games can do some remarkable things for your brain and body. While I"m not thrilled to find my kids three hours in to a Halo session, I"m certainly relieved to learn that some real good can come out of their gaming.
Tepar

Pro

Tepar forfeited this round.
ProfesserZ

Con

ProfesserZ forfeited this round.
Tepar

Pro

Tepar forfeited this round.
Posted by 42lifeuniverseverything 1 year ago
42lifeuniverseverything
Wow, Tepar's comeback was amazing. Well done, and I am curious to see what ProfesserZ will come back with.