lilhan56
wowwhatwhy

Why are Killer Whales still in Captivity?

lilhan56

Con

I have no idea why people agree with Whales being kept in captivity. There are many things I could say about this, but I would like to keep it brief. Within the UK the laws for Killer Whales in captivity are very strict. There is no way that any UK sea world or sea life centre could house a Killer Whale. I know that if anyone wanted to own a Killer Whale, they would need more land than the whole of England before they would be accepted to own the animal, therefore it is impossible to do so. The conditions they are kept in are seriously cramped, these animals are used to swimming many miles in one day, not just a few metres from one side of the pool to the other. These places are way too small and no where near deep enough. I would just like to know why other countries think it is ok to keep these animals and watch them as entertainment, knowing that they are being forced to do so and that they never wanted to leave their family within the sea.
wowwhatwhy

Pro

My opponent would have you believe that killing killer whales and eating them for dinner is a great thing to do to deal with their presence on this planet.

The fact is that killers are evil and whether the killer is a whale or a human being we must either capture them when they are young and keep them contained and tamed or they will go out and kill innocent people, whales, dolphins and fish for no reason other than the fact that they are killers.

Killers are legalized murderers and loopholes in the law should never be abused in such an immoral way.

Whether you are a whale or a human, a killer is a killer and it is better to keep prisoners, human or whale, in captivity of some kind (whether that be an asylum or aquarium) than to just slaughter them all because death penalty makes us as scummy as them.
lilhan56

Con

I do not believe that the other opponent is speaking the truth. The Orca, also known as the Killer Whale, is just like any other animal in the sea. I'm pretty sure that Sharks have attacked and killed more people than Orcas have. These beautiful Whales are being taken from the sea for no reason and kept in places where people can stare at them all day, they can barely move in the small pens that they are kept in. Human killers are kept in prisons for a reason, however Whales kill to survive and eat. They do not kill people in the wild unless they are feeling harassed in a way. We cant treat animals like people, they don't deserve to be treated like that.

Their name doesn't define them, they aren't killers. There are not reports of Orca's killing people all the time. These animals live for less than half their life expectancy when in captivity. I.e., in the wild they can live up to 80 years, however in captivity they generally only live up to 20 years.
wowwhatwhy

Pro

My opponent will have you believe that killer whales are like all other creature sin the sea. They do not have snouts like dolphins, gills like fish or pincers like crabs and lobsters.

Additionally, they are killers. Killers are very dangerous to society and should be held captive from those they seek to kill. human killers are not always kept in a prison but are at least held captive on a farm or in a military camp, o supervised region of operation whilst training for and/or carrying out the killings.

Their name is Orca, they are killers. They got the name "killer whale2 because they kill several fish, squid, seals. sea lions, penguins, dolphins, porpoises and even larger whales of their own kind as large as the blue whale. Some killer whales have even been known to slide onto beaches and kill whatever they can get to, yes even a human being as seen by Shamu the whale in Sea World and what she did to her own trainer (SPOILER ALERT: she killed her without provocation)!

Killers are killers, whether they are whales or human beings.
lilhan56

Con

Anyone can say that about any carnivore or omnivore within the sea. They all need to survive and they all need to eat. The whales are different because they are mammals, where as most animals in the sea are fish, crustaceans... Sharks kill many of those animals as well, but they aren't all kept in captivity and made to perform like the whales are. Us humans should not interfere with their lives, we shouldn't have an opinion on the way they survive and eat, and we certainly shouldn't have an opinion on where they should live. We are all animals and have taken over this plant, but there are many many many more animals, insects and other living beings on this planet, that doesn't not mean that we own them all.

Whales should be free to act and live how they want, just like we can, to a point. The animals don't know any different, where as we do, and that's why criminals are locked away, because they are very dangerous. The whales are not dangerous, it is just natural. They don't know what humans are, we are just another living being, and if they are hungry, they might attack, but generally they don't. These whales are brought to think that everything is a toy and they need to entertain, that is why they have attacked their trainers, these people should not get into the water with them. Although I think strongly about the whales always being free, that doesn't mean that I trust them. We should stay away from them, just like they stay away from us.

Its alright saying that they have killed humans, but I'm pretty sure that we have killed more whales than they have humans. Their bones and blubber have been used for cosmetics and their bodies for food. How can anyone think that is right? These animals are very strong within their families and they should stay that way. Whales can be brought into captivity and it ruins their lives because they would never be able to leave captivity again. They would not be able to survive again in the wild.
wowwhatwhy

Pro

wowwhatwhy forfeited this round.
Posted by lilhan56 2 years ago
lilhan56
I have read many articles and this is the main one which can prove a couple of my points: http://uk.whales.org...
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 2 years ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
Can you provide any evidence supporting your claim?