AshleySleigh
Abdab

Why are we expected to accept everything around us

Abdab

AshleySleigh

Con

I am tired of people telling us what to do and what not to do. I am not obliged to like everything or everyone . If I hate hard core pornography that is my choice , why do iI have people telling me you are wrong and close minded . If I am against adoption of kids by same sex couples, that is my opinion who is to tell me am wrong or right. I have the right to squirm when I see something that makes me uncomfortable . I like a world where everything is beautiful, people are monogamous , women aren't objectified , kids don't get bullied . Are we suppose to like each and everything on this earth just because it's there ?
Abdab

Pro

Accepting something and liking something are two different things. Let's take your view on same sex adoption for example. It exists, it is legal (In the UK, I don't know about other countries) and it happens. Now, to accept this you simply need to acknowledge that information, but you don't have to like it. Another example: I accept that mushrooms exist, however I do not like the taste of them, the way they look or the way they smell.
We are expected to accept the things around us because most of us do not have the power to do much about it. We are also expected to accept the things around us, because that is another persons way of life, and it is their choice to live it how they like. If somebody doesn't like something you do, but accepts it, then surely it is only decent for you to do the same? As the bible says, 'Love thy neighbour' Treat others as you wish to be treated, with respect and dignity. You may see monogamy as the right way to live, but other people may enjoy a life of polygamy, and may only feel comfortable when they are recieving love from more than just one partner. It is socially acceptable to acknowledge this fact for what it is, and continue with your life whether you like it or not. Even murder comes under this rule. Murder can be a lot of different things: Homicide, manslaughter, corporal punishment. They all exist, and me, or you, as people do not have the power to change this. However, it is a fact of life. It must be accepted, even if it is not liked.
AshleySleigh

Con

AshleySleigh forfeited this round.
Abdab

Pro

Abdab forfeited this round.
AshleySleigh

Con

AshleySleigh forfeited this round.
Abdab

Pro

Abdab forfeited this round.
Posted by 2Sense 3 years ago
2Sense
Who is stopping you from having your opinions? You have the freedom to express your opinions, and others have the freedom to criticize your opinions.

Simple as that.
Posted by AshleySleigh 3 years ago
AshleySleigh
Than even we should have the freedom to accept and reject whatever we want . Freedom applies to everyone . Why should people expect me to like something
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Its called freedom of conformity, and its the first step in being truly free.
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
AshleySleighAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: Short debate. I don't know why there was forfeits. Con forfeited first. Pro provided a short but somewhat better argument point.