Why aren't Muslims going around terrified of hell?

Updated: 4 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

According to what "they know", it's beyond severe torment, the worst torture as described in the Qur'an. I know that someone might say because they are Muslim they do not go there, but it's meant to be Allah who decides at the "end of the days" lol
Its also part of Islam that Muslims have am acceptance of Allah's decisions of whatever Allah chooses for them, whether it's happiness or suffering. I was raised to accept that I might go to hell. It's as if it's being taken as mythology rather than the truth!

One of the characteristics of a Muslim is to have faith in Allah, Allah continuously calls himself the most Merciful in the Qur'an. Losing hope in the Mercy of Allah is considered an insult to Allah. We need to have balance. We must fear Allah, but we must understand that he is Just and Merciful.

Here are a few Hadiths and Qur'anic verses that show how merciful Allah is.

Al-Bukhaari (6491) and Muslim (131) narrated from Ibn "Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said, relating from his Lord, may He be glorified and exalted: "Allah decreed good deeds and bad deeds, then He explained that. Whoever thinks of doing a good deed then does not do it, Allah will write it down as one complete good deed. If he thinks of doing a good deed and then does it, Allah [may He be glorified and exalted] will write it down between ten and seven hundred fold, or many more. If he thinks of doing a bad deed then he does not do it, Allah will write it down as one complete good deed, and if he thinks of it then does it, Allah will write it down as one bad deed."

"And We have sent you (O Muhammad) not but as a mercy for the "alameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)." [Qur'an 21:107]

Say: O My servants who have transgressed against their own souls, despair not of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Surah az-Zumar 39:53)

When Allah decreed the creation, he wrote in his Book with him on his Throne: My mercy prevails over my wrath.
(Sahih Bukhari 3022)

Spend on charity, O son of Adam, and I shall spend on you.
(Sahih Bukhari 5037)

I heard the Messenger of Allah (saw) say, "Allah the Almighty has said: "O Son of Adam, as long as you invoke Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O Son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and you then asked forgiveness from Me, I would forgive you. O Son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the Earth, and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it [too]." " [Tirmidhi]

Narated By 'Umar bin Al-Khattab : Some Sabi (i.e. war prisoners, children and woman only) were brought before the Prophet and behold, a woman amongst them was milking her breasts to feed and whenever she found a child amongst the captives, she took it over her chest and nursed it (she had lost her child but later she found him) the Prophet said to us, "Do you think that this lady can throw her son in the fire?" We replied, "No, if she has the power not to throw it (in the fire)." The Prophet then said, "Allah is more merciful to His slaves than this lady to her son."- Sahih Bukhari.

Narated By Abu Huraira : I heard Allah's Apostle saying, Allah divided Mercy into one-hundred parts and He kept its ninety-nine parts with Him and sent down its one part on the earth, and because of that, it's one single part, His creations are Merciful to each other, so that even the mare lifts up its hoofs away from its baby animal, lest it should trample on it." - Sahih Bukhari.

`Ubadah bin As-Samit (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ´┐Żalayhi wa sallam) said, "He who bears witness that there is no true god except Allah, alone having no partner with Him, that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger, that `Isa (Jesus) is His slave and Messenger and he (Jesus) is His Word which He communicated to Maryam (Mary) and His spirit which He sent to her, that Jannah is true and Hell is true; Allah will make him enter Jannah accepting whatever deeds he accomplished".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

It was narrated that Ubaadah ibn al-Saamit said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever says "I bear witness that there is no god except Allaah alone [with no partner or associate] and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, and that "Eesa is the slave of Allaah, the son of His maidservant, a Word which He bestowed upon Maryam and a Spirit created by Him, and that Paradise is true and that Hell is true, Allaah will admit him through whichever of the eight gates of Paradise he wants."
Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3252) and Muslim (28).

"So know that there is no God save Allah, and ask forgiveness for your sin."
Al-Qur'an 47:19

The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- said: "Whoever says: there is no god but Allah enters Paradise
(Tabarani narrated it from Abu Dharr in the Kabir (7:55), Ibn Hibban in his Sahih (31), al-Hakim in his Mustadrak (4:251), al-Mundhiri in al-Targhib (2:422), al-Haythami in Majma` al-zawa'id (1:18), Ibn `Adi (7:2639), Abu Nu`aym in the Hilya (7:174), and al-Bazzar from `Umar.)

"Whoever dies knowing full well that there is no god but Allah, enters Paradise." (Narrated by Muslim and Ahmad from `Uthman.)

The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- said: "Whoever witnesses that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger, Allah forbids the Fire from touching him."
(Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim from `Ubada ibn al-Samit.)

So if there was any little bit of concern of going to hell, how does that manifest in someone's behaviour. From what you say Muslims should be positive and optimistic. Faith comes before probability and the statistics.
narrated by al-Bukhaari (6529) from Abu Hurayrah, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The first one to be called on the Day of Resurrection will be Adam. He will be shown his progeny and it will be said, "This is your father Adam." He will say, "Here I am at Your service." He will say: "Bring forth those who are to be sent to Hell from among your progeny." He will say, "O Lord, how many should I bring forth?" He will say, "Bring forth from every hundred ninety nine."" They said: "O Messenger of Allaah, if ninety nine are taken from every hundred of us, what will be left of us?" He said, "My ummah, among the other nations, is like a white hair on a black bull."

I can clearly see the emotional aspect of faith from what your saying. What about the logic? The chance of going isn't even 50/50 it's more. I expect you to dismiss "logic" and call on Allah as protector. What about the occasional fear? It's meant to be most severe.

I know what you are referring to and it is a beautiful Hadith.

Those 999 out of the thousand people are Gog and Magog (and disbelievers).

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: The Prophet said, "On the day of Resurrection Allah will say, 'O Adam!' Adam will reply, 'Labbaik our Lord, and Sa'daik ' Then there will be a loud call (saying), Allah orders you to take from among your offspring a mission for the (Hell) Fire.' Adam will say, 'O Lord! Who are the mission for the (Hell) Fire?' Allah will say, 'Out of each thousand, take out 999.' At that time every pregnant female shall drop her load (have a miscarriage) and a child will have grey hair. And you shall see mankind as in a drunken state, yet not drunk, but severe will be the torment of Allah." (22.2) (When the Prophet mentioned this), the people were so distressed (and afraid) that their faces got changed (in color) whereupon the Prophet said, "From gog and Magog nine-hundred ninety-nine will be taken out and one from you. You Muslims (compared to the large number of other people) will be like a black hair on the side of a white ox, or a white hair on the side of a black ox, and I hope that you will be one-fourth of the people of Paradise." On that, we said, "Allahu-Akbar!" Then he said, "I hope that you will be) one-third of the people of Paradise." We again said, "Allahu-Akbar!" Then he said, "(I hope that you will be) one-half of the people of Paradise." So we said, Allahu Akbar." [Bukhari]

The Prophet (A018;) said, "Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection), 'O Adam.' Adam will reply, 'Labbaik wa Sa`daik', and all the good is in Your Hand.' Allah will say: 'Bring out the people of the fire.' Adam will say: 'O Allah! How many are the people of the Fire?' Allah will reply: 'From every one thousand, take out nine-hundred-and ninety-nine.' At that time children will become hoary headed, every pregnant female will have a miscarriage, and one will see mankind as drunken, yet they will not be drunken, but dreadful will be the Wrath of Allah." The companions of the Prophet (A018;) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Who is that (excepted) one?" He said, "Rejoice with glad tidings; one person will be from you and one-thousand will be from Gog and Magog." The Prophet (A018;) further said, "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, hope that you will be one-fourth of the people of Paradise." We shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" He added, "I hope that you will be one-third of the people of Paradise." We shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" He said, "I hope that you will be half of the people of Paradise." We shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" He further said, "You (Muslims) (compared with non Muslims) are like a black hair in the skin of a white ox or like a white hair in the skin of a black ox (i.e. your number is very small as compared with theirs).
Sahih al-Bukhari 3348 In-book reference: Book 60, Hadith 28 USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 567

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2339 Narrated by Abu Sa'id
Allah's Messenger (saws) said that the Shaytaan said, "By Thy Might, my Lord, I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." The Lord, Who is Great and Glorious, replied, "By My Might, Glory and Exalted Station, I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask My forgiveness."
Ahmad transmitted it.

As a Muslim myself I have not only benefited but have learnt and understood more thanks to your post. But I am still open minded and I think I can still find things to get more arguments from you. They say not everyone who may outwardly show themselves as a proper Muslim is and things like shirk which is unforgivable may even prevent the most practising of the Muslims from not being thrown by the hair into the fire by Hazrat Meekaaeel (a.s). What have you got to say about the sensitivity of Shirk.

A more complicated and deeper idea is that a Muslim is basing their faith on what Allah is telling them through the doctrine of the Qur'an, and hadiths and Islamic teachings. I am not saying that they are not following it properly or even whether Allah is real, but more so as IS ALLAH TELLING THE TRUTH?

Hell does seem blown out of proportion, true justice should be fair. Shirk shows me that it's as if Allah is more inclined towards self gratification.

What would Al-Khaliq want? He could easily create himself a palace and throw undesirables into Jahannam.

And I did not Create the jinn and humans except [that] they should worship Me. [Noble Quran 51:56]

Allah is al-Haqq, not al-Dajjal and it should be obvious to everyone that there are no deities beside him. If someone doesn't accept Islam that is their problem, but they will be held accountable for it.
In second chapter of the Qur'an, in verse 2 Allah says: This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah.

Lying is prohibited in Islam
(except when it comes to war strategy and giving compliments or to fix a relationship between two people)
I'm sorry, but believing Allah would lie is kufr.

His message came through Moses and Jesus AS, we can find the message throughout the Bible and Torah. We have seen hundreds of prophecies in front of our own eyes.

What about someone who practices everything properly but they do Shirk.

I naturally cannot adjust my reasoning to trust that Allah still wouldn't put me in hell if I was still Muslim. It's something so easy to happen.

I think you are in need of some lectures.
Shirk means taking partners alongside Allah.
The Shahada goes as follows "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger"
You can't perform major Shirk and be a Muslim, if you worship other deities alongside Him then it's basically apostasy.

If you practice your deen and ask for forgiveness continuously then there is no reason why you should go to Hell.
Just practice and be good to your parents, family and neighbors and you'll be fine Insha'Allah.

If you make sincere repentance to Allah then he will forgive you and change your bad deeds into good deeds.

There's also the type of Shirk where someone insults Allah or the Prophet.

What if a Muslim does this.

Any way that's a side question. I believe you have won as now I can see how a Muslim settles their belief with trust. Honestly I'm just arguing for the sake of it.

Insulting the prophet Muhammad SAW or Allah SWT is disbelief. How can a Muslim even do something like that?
Posted by solar145254 4 weeks ago
It's more about punishment being blown out of proportion.
Posted by Zaephou 1 month ago
If your Allah repents ANY bad things you do in your life, then Allah is immoral.
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
as if to deny the measure of their full blown insanity
Posted by Greg_L 1 month ago
Because they believe that if they suicide bomb they won't go to hell. That's why they yell "Allahu Akbar"
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago