Southernebelle21
Teege

Why ban the Confederate flag if you don't ban the whole south ?

Southernebelle21

Pro

Most of us fellow southerners have the Confederate flag tattoo does that mean you are going to ban us from the south too along with our flag? The whole purpose of the flag is symbolization of history in which African Americans were involved under also this isn't a racist act, the flag didn't cause the incident in South Carolina it was the human beings thought process. I have the tattoo and I work at a prison I would say that am mentally there, objects do not make people do disturbing things like that unless its drugs or demonic possession. This is America have you people forgotten that this is the LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE! yet you will let queers mess with our American flag make it rainbow and leave us southern proud old school people in the dirt heck no where is the fairness I have African American friends that support keeping the confederate flag so why are people trying to do away with it? Especially now after all these years you'd think that people would have said something earlier about this if it really seemed to have bothered them but yet again I am right the government wants to take it out now because of someone with problems, there are people like that all over the world sorry to break the news to you people who disagree but everywhere you go there are going to be mentally disturbed human beings what are you going to do with them huh? or what's next are you going to take our freedom if so you may as well because America has gone to rock bottom this whole ordeal is pretty much petty mess that could be avoided but you have people who apparently enjoy controversy.
Teege

Con

I accept you debate, and look forward to seeing your opening argument.
Southernebelle21

Pro

I do not see why people cannot leave things alone especially something as serious as this do people just want to do away with history period and allow new objects pass through? if that is the case reality is quite harsh because history always has a way of repeating itself the new will only be for awhile then will pass and people will look back and wonder what they were thinking.
Teege

Con

History is not being rewritten, by removing the Confederate Battle Flag from government institutions. First, the flag that is being banned is not the flag of the Confederate States of America. The flag being banned is the flag the Confederates used in battle, which is why I refer to it as the Confederate Battle Flag.

This to me is a touchy subject; I, too, am from the south and see the Confederate Battle Flag (CBF) as a part of our heritage. I personally don't view it as an offensive object. However, I can see why people do find it offensive. The CBF was not flown at capitals around the south until 1954, when the Supreme Court ended segregation in the public school system, in the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka. It was only then that the CBF began being flown again around the south at public facilities, in an act of defiance, showing their dislike for the Supreme Court's decision. Also, it does not help that the Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol and mainstay for the KKK and Aryan Nation/Brotherhood, both of which are hate groups.

In a recent poll [1], there was a 42%-42% split on whether people viewed it as a racist symbol. Those numbers were only equal due to the high number of votes in the south who did not see it as a racist. Outside of the south, the northeast and west areas of the country saw that it was a racist by +12-13% over those that viewed the flag as a symbol of heritage. The mid-west portion, of the country, voted 44% as seeing it racist, compared to 42% seeing it as a heritage symbol. The numbers were different when African Americans were asked the same question 75% viewed the flag as being racist.

One thing that bothers me, about the CBF, is that in many states when the US and State flags are flown at half mass the Confederate Battle Flag is flown at full mass. To me this is disrespectful to both flags and their sovereignty.

You talked about rewriting history. Part of the controversy over the flag has to do with history not being taught correctly in the first place. The majority of people in the US believe that the American Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery, when it was really fought over state's rights and the right to succeed from the Union. People aren't taught that during the Civil War that people in the North were allowed and still had slaves. They also are not taught that the Emancipation Proclamation did not apply to slaves in the north and its territories, and had no legal standing over the southern states. The school system fails to teach students that although the war was over and the south did not have slaves, that the northern states and territories still allowed people to have slaves. It was not until 8 months after the war that Congress passed the 13th Amendment, which banned slavery throughout the entire country and its territories.

Seeing that the flag began being flown, as a response to when segregation was ended, the two largest hate groups in America use it as one of their symbols, and according to polls black people and the majority of states view it as a racist symbol, I see that it has no place being flown at state government facilities.
Southernebelle21

Pro

Southernebelle21 forfeited this round.
Teege

Con

Since Pro offered no rebuttal and no additional arguments, then all points should be given to the Con side.