Gorf
Gohan12345

Why belieave the bible

Gorf

Con

Do you believe that the Bible is written by god? if so, would it suffice to say that proving a single postulate wrong from a book (as has happened more times than any Christian should be comfortable with), written by someone who is supposedly omnipotent, would disprove his omnipotence? And therefore sack his right to be called a god?

If not, why would you follow a book full of lies, misconceptions, racism and bigotry that may or may not just be the personal opinions of the bigot who wrote the book? And follow these 'teachings' over compassion, love, tolerance and the scientific method?
Gohan12345

Pro

The bible is the worlds number one selling book and of course god has made the bible so we can read about many things that happens. God is also important because we are his creations. Thanks to science people keep saying Jesus is not real which is a lie and we were created by monkeys. Now how would humans like us be formed out of monkeys when they don't reproduce the same way as us. The bible is not filled with lies. The bible is filled with knowledge and wisdom. The bible shows you what happens in life. Don't judge the bible.
Gorf

Con

First off, thank you for accepting the debate, however i would have liked to have competed with someone with a mental age of of over about 13. I dont mean to call names, but firstly you have not addressed any points i made in my argument. Secondly, even if the bible is the number selling book in the world, that has no correlation with the worth of the book. God would be important i agree, if we were ones creations. You say that the bible is there to tell us about the world around us, id much rather pick up a scientific journal from a reputable source like 'Nature' the journal. One that has been constructed from reason and peer review, and not some crazy cult that claimed to have seen a ghost. If you are a young earth creationist, please tell me in your next comment, as you are not even worth talking to, and i highly recommend you read a book like 'The greatest show on Earth' which is a book by arguably the worlds leading biologist, Richard Dawkins. In that book, there is clear, easy to understand, irrefutable evidence of evolution. I can tell from your argument that "Now how would humans like us be formed out of monkeys when they don't reproduce the same way as us" that you have literally zero knowledge about evolution. If you know nothing about the topic, why bring it up? i will destroy you. We were not 'formed out of monkeys' any less than a doberman was formed out of a chiwawa. We simply share a common ancestor thousand of years back before our two species diverged (likely due to land barriers like mountain ranges forming and separating two 'tribes' of a species). Similar has happen with common household dogs evolving out of wolves. This is OBSERVABLE and IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE (is evidence a yucky word to you?) of evolution occurring over a very short time period. And how can you say the bible is not filled with lies? there are countless cases of just that. heres one i found after 10 seconds of googling.
Leviticus 11:5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud , but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
Leviticus 11:6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud , but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

Coneys and hares (types of rabbit) are not ruminants, and hence, have no cud to chew. Science has confirmed this.

The bible is proven false in this.

I can tell you now that if you prove just one part of a book said to be without fault, you can no longer take A SINGLE other word of it as absolute truth.
This bible most certainly does not show you what happens in life anymore than grimms fairy tails.
And are you kidding me about not judging the bible? How can you even begin to take stock of your own faith before judging it yourself? were you simply indoctrinated like the rest of the happy clappers? Look before you leap or else you are a fool.
Gohan12345

Pro

Gohan12345 forfeited this round.
Gorf

Con

Gorf forfeited this round.
Gohan12345

Pro

Gohan12345 forfeited this round.
Gorf

Con

Gorf forfeited this round.
Gohan12345

Pro

Gohan12345 forfeited this round.
Posted by TetsuRiken 3 years ago
TetsuRiken
Really there no need for religion all it does is tell you not to fight and sin but ...
Posted by Gorf 3 years ago
Gorf
"you have a choice to be able to choose". Sorry my my title that made no sense...

Did you even read the argument i made We_change_change?
and my life is quite far from tragic. You can carry on devoting your life to everyone's favorite imaginary friend, while ill continue doing my groundbreaking research at University.
Posted by We_Change_Change 3 years ago
We_Change_Change
Why Believe? It makes no sense. You have a choice to be able to choose between believing and no believing, such a tragic life for you. I'm FOR this; not all people will believe... not all.....
Posted by SimpleObserverofThings 3 years ago
SimpleObserverofThings
Your comment is painfully ignorant and makes no sense toward the end.
Posted by Gordontrek 3 years ago
Gordontrek
HAHA I get that stuff from people like you all the time. "waah, the Bible has contradictions, it's sexist & racist, waah only neanderthals believe it." I'm thinking of accepting the debate to show otherwise. "People will learn eventually"- LOL right. The Bible as we have it has existed for 2,000 years and people haven't "learned" anything now have they. Maybe there's nothing to "learn" to begin with.
Posted by WyattEarp19 3 years ago
WyattEarp19
The bible is century's of years old and contradicts itself and expresses racism, genocide, sexism, and murder. Yet there are people who defend it yet don't have the brains to read it and see that it's a primitive book of nonsense? Oh well people will learn eventually...
SimpleObserverofThings
Apparently the three below...well they'll argue it was written by men but inspired by the same being that create the cosmos but wasn't able to keep his book in check...
Posted by WyattEarp19 3 years ago
WyattEarp19
Who thinks the bible was written by God?
SimpleObserverofThings
Isn't a failed logic, au contraire, you are defending the bible which is just as primitive as the Aztecs, yet apologists try to defend it, make excuses for it to be still considered as a moral guide book. No different than what I finished illustrating...
Posted by Gordontrek 3 years ago
Gordontrek
SimpleObserver- with the logic that you are stating, you are comparing God to the Aztecs. A huge failing of logic. One is the same yesterday, today and forever (and the AUTHOR of everything including medicine) and the other a primitive civilization that has died out. I know, I know, I'm arguing from my "stupid religion." Too bad.