annakimma
Annacat

Why cutting yourself has become a fad, not a stress release for most teens

annakimma

annakimma

Con

15 to 20 percent of the average teen population cut themselves or hurt themselves purposely. It is starting to become a trend as numbers rise and kids find they are depressed. The question is why? It is not because they are depressed any more but because they are trying to fit in. When kids first started doing this it wasn't that big and a lot of people were ashamed to say they did it. Now everyone uses the "I do it too" factor. If a teen joins a certain group where a majority of them cut, all of a sudden they start cutting too. What ever happened to the kids who actually used cutting as a stress release?
Annacat

Pro

Though I would not cut or ham myself personally, I can see why teens do it. Its just like drugs, though a lot of teens wouldn't do drugs, they might say they do to seem "cool." Though this is a different situation, they might just say they harm themselves to fit in or to get more attention. Though a lot of teens are ashamed of what they do, they are ashamed because it is a very personal problem. Though it is not right, I understand why teens would lie to fit in. I also believe that so many people harm themselves, that is why there have been so any cases.
annakimma

Con

though your point remains true the generations that are coming up are starting to forget what cutting is for. If their parents don't get them a phone or they can't get a face book, all of a sudden their cutting. it just doesn't make sense. A lot of kids just cut so they "belong" in a certain group and a lot of kids cut just to get attention from their peers. it has become mostly a trend. Of course you will always find that one kid who has a genuine reason to do something like that, but most of them cut just to fit in.
Annacat

Pro

That is my point exactly, I understand that they want to fit in and they sometimes take it too far. Also some kids cut or threaten to harm themselves to scare their parents into buying them something, in no way am I saying this is right. They are desperate for attention, freedom or they want something like the brand new Iphone. Though this is wrong, they may have siblings that are treated differently, or they just want their parents to spend more time with the teen.
annakimma

Con

To be neglected or to feel unequal is what causes kids to be close to their friends but, unless the level of neglect is very high, why would they turn to cutting themselves? Cutting used to be a last resort thing, it was something only the really depressed kids did. Now people turn to that over anything else.
Annacat

Pro

What time period was it used as the last resort? Its so common that cutting and harming themselves is all they think about if something sad, depressing or bad happens to do them. It does not seem to be used as a last resort any more. Time as changed and teens nowadays don't think very much before they act. Some do regret it but I can see why teens cut to fit in, they feel left out and maybe that aren't being noticed. Though it isn't right, it makes people pay more attention to them and feel sorry for them. Thats what they all want, attention from their peers. In no way is that making it right.
annakimma

Con

When cutting first started, not many people knew about it, it was very hidden, and people didn't think that some one would actually turn to cutting that- never crossed anyone's mind. When I said it was a "last resort thing" I meant that not many people thought about harming themselves (as far as cutting goes) around the time when it was not so popular. Now that everyone knows about cutting it seems that the numbers have risen, and everyone wants to do it to get rid of their pain. It doesn't make sense because people are actually deep into depression, and kids just do it just to fit in.
Annacat

Pro

You have to look at it from a different point of view, if you were a teen and all of your so called "best friends" weren't talking to you or kept leaving you out, you would be depressed. To get attention, they think cutting themselves will make their friends feel sympathetic. They just want people to notice them. Cutting is taking it to far but they get what they are looking for, sympathy and attention. Its almost the first thing they think of because it seems that everyone had done it or thought about cutting before. Again, in no way does this make it right.
annakimma

Con

that would still classify cutting as a fad wouldn't it? I never thought of it as right but I still believe that If it includes fitting in and trying to impress or in this case attract attention it is considered a fad. It might seem they are depressed but in truth they just want to fit in like every teen. We all go through the stage of teen blues, but no one looks ahead or appreciates what they have, which includes their bodies. The fad has become cutting because teens only think about what the next person is doing which seems to have become cutting.
Annacat

Pro

First of all, the exact definition of a fad "a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group. " I found this definition at: http://dictionary.reference.com... This definition says that a fad is temporary fashion, like silly bands, it is something that everyone wants or does for a short period of time, cutting has been around for years and years. For some teens, not fitting in is a cause of depression. I agree, teens do not look ahead and try to see who they will be 10 years from now. Another thing that causes self-harm is bullying. A lot of teens are bullied for not having the "perfect body." They starve themselves and try everything to make themselves perfect. These days there seems to be a standard height, weight, and shape. Though cutting should not be as popular as it is, I can understand why teens are depressed and why they resort to self-harm.

A note to the readers/voters: In no way am I saying that cutting and self-harm is right, I am only working on my debate skills. I chose this debate because it is a topic that I oppose. Once again, I do not believe, in any way, that self harm should be used when teens are sad that they don't fit today's "standard" or that they feel like their friends don't like them anymore. Lastly, teens should never cause harm to themselves because they want something from their parents or even if they just want attention.
Posted by Annacat 1 year ago
Annacat
Thx :) and yeah, I don't want to loose points because I said "ham" XD.
Posted by annakimma 1 year ago
annakimma
hey its fine you have good point thats all that matters. I've made typos too(:
Posted by Annacat 1 year ago
Annacat
Sorry, I had a typo in my last argument, I meant to say, "Though I would not cut or HARM myself..."
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
annakimmaAnnacatTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout. S&G - Pro. Con started multiple rounds without the use of proper capitalization, and lacked proper punctuation throughout the debate. Pro made no such errors, thus wins S&G. Arguments - Con. First off, I think Con took the wrong position - she should have been Pro considering what she was arguing for. Secondly, Pro seemed to be agreeing with her and carrying out a discussion rather than challenging her position and negating her arguments. It wasn't until the last round that Pro actually challenged her position by utilizing the definition of "fad", this should have been done from the start - and since it was the final round, it gave Con no time to actually respond. Since giving new arguments in the last round is generally frowned up, I award this win to Con - since she was never actually challenged in this debate. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.