lola
stilldirrtyja

Why do African American's always think people are racist against them?

Con Tied Pro

lola

Con

I think it is wrong that African American's have more right's then we do just because they're African American. I understand that there use to be people and still are some people who are racist, but that doesn't mean that African American's should use it as an excuse because they don't get what they want.
stilldirrtyja

Pro

First, let me say that you are making a very hasty generalization of all African-Americans. To say that all Africans-Americans use racism as an excuse to get what they want is plain stupid. I am black and I have never used racism as an excuse to get what I want. In actuality, I don't see how that can be used as a valid excuse. Personally, I have worked hard to get where I am today; I attend one of the best journalism schools in the country and I foresee a successful career in my future. Never have I endured racism in my life and never would I use it as any means to get ahead of anyone else.

And what rights do African-Americans have that others don't? I would really like to know this because it is quite puzzling to me.
lola

Con

Not all african americans use race as an advantage over people of other races, but it still happens, and it shouldn't. take affirmative action for instance. you see african americans, among a few other minorities, getting college educations, jobs and scholarships over more deserving white people simply because they are african-american. This is not the african americans fault, as anyone with a mind would take a gift offered to them, but it shows that there are certain "advantages" to be a minority. Some people seem to take this to the extreme however, implying that they deserve special benefits simply because of old racial issues that have occurred in the past. The problem with this is that just because a person has a "disadvantage" doesn't mean that they should get a head start in the race called life. I'm glad that you have used intelligence and integrity to get where you are today, and hold no disrespect for any person due to their color, but the fact remains that there exists african americans as well as other minorities that use their heritage to achieve that which more deserving people deserve.
stilldirrtyja

Pro

Affirmative Action will be an issue that will be debated for years to come. When speaking about affirmative action, you have to keep in mind that it doesn't only benefit racial minorities. It benefits the poor, the disabled and women also, this including all races. I, like many other people, believe that affirmative action can be necessary and unnecessary in some cases.

"you see african americans, among a few other minorities, getting college educations, jobs and scholarships over more deserving white people simply because they are african-american"

I do believe that affirmative action should be used in getting minorities (and I use this term in including all minorities based on race, gender, sexuality, etc.) to college. What I have noticed is that the minorities who can't afford college are the one's receiving scholarship. So I see this as more as need-based scholarships than taking away from "more deserving white people;" when you say "more deserving white people," I think more of merit-based scholarships. Also, with this said, whites are included in affirmative action as some fall into the category of being poor, women, etc.

However, I don't believe affirmative action should be used in the workplace. If these minorities are supplied with an education, they should take full advantage of this opportunity and ensure that they will be able to compete in the work force. I know, personally, I don't want to get a job because of my race. I want to get a job because I was the best candidate for the position.
lola

Con

lola forfeited this round.
stilldirrtyja

Pro

hehe. Well I guess there's nothing else to say so have fun voting or something...lol. Um and this needs to be 100 characters long so I am just trying to make the limit with this. lol
Posted by Capt.Herp 9 years ago
Capt.Herp
stilldirrtyja, while I am against affirmative action, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and someone I'd like to meet someday.

Good luck with your future career. Something tells me you'll do well.

You won, BTW (although I do somewhat agree that the race card is pulled out as an alternative to solutions much more often than it should be -- as in never).
Posted by cody30228 9 years ago
cody30228
ummm the resolution is not a yes or no question, so how can someone affirm or negate it?AKYS
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Ugh... lola. stilldirrtyja's argument doesn't even have to be that good to beat your crappy answer. Yes, I completely disagree with your debate, but putting that aside, it was a bunch of nonsense. Thanks for coming out... not really.
Posted by lola 9 years ago
lola
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Kierkegaard 9 years ago
Kierkegaard
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by Capt.Herp 9 years ago
Capt.Herp
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by baker27b 9 years ago
baker27b
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by Lacan 9 years ago
Lacan
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by Thoreau 9 years ago
Thoreau
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by IronHead60 9 years ago
IronHead60
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by hjfrutwiufy 9 years ago
hjfrutwiufy
lolastilldirrtyjaTied
Vote Placed by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
lolastilldirrtyjaTied