Why do Americans try to be like Europe in education when it's the first thing they cut from budgets

As this is my first argument on DDO, I would plead that my opponent doesn't bear down hard on me, and I apologise for any spelling, format errors that occur due to me using my IPod Touch as my medium.

So to begin this debate, (Though I take the stand as Pro, in this debate, the positions are arbitrary, as this is intended to be more of an informative discussion than a debate between two well defined sides.) I just don't understand why America tries to compete with us Europeans in education yet they underfund their faculty and schools.

First of all, Americans are not trying to compete with the Europeans. They are trying to make their education system stronger than what it was (like most countries). Although according to many different magazines America does not have the strongest Education system, it is slowly trying to raise to a higher level. For example, when you are trying to achieve a goal you must cut back before starting. To add more systems and educational programs to school they have to cut back on money to pay for all of this. One must remember, MONEY DOESN'T COME FROM THE SKY. Sure Europe has a better education system, but America is trying to regain their system and become bigger than what they were before.

Thank you (great topic, also my first),
I am now ready for the next round...... (good luck!!)

Mark9570 forfeited this round.

As my opponent forfeited this round there is not much to counteract, but to state that America is wanting the best. They want to be number one, but to get their they must cut back on the majority of things. Hopefully my opponent will participate in the next round, so that a friendly debate can continue.

Thank you

Sorry for the lack of response I was having difficulties with my Internet connection.

I guess my problem was that I didn't see the logic behind the action being taken, I understand where you're coming from though, in the sense that the budget is like a plant and that you have to prune it time to time in order for the plant to produce more fruit. But still, how is it that by cutting governmental funding for schools going to help the them do better?

And I guess I can understand that maybe the American government isn't trying to copy the European education system. But my point still is how can they expect to see improvement in a system if that system is underfunded? I mean it's like a body trying to heal an injury but at the same time being malnourished.

I thank my opponent for her patience as I turn the debate over to her.

princetongurl forfeited this round.
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
Ok then don't make it a "why" question. make it a "should" question
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 5 years ago
Meh - as the resolution is written, Con, just has to show that Americans cut something before education in budgets to win =P
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
If the contender explains why education is cut first, do they win?
Posted by RoryStott 5 years ago
As a British (ergo European) student who has just seen the cost of an undergraduate degree triple, I'm not even sure if the question is even based in fact. Surely Europe is composed of a number of countries, each of which has their own approach to education funding?
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
A debate topic cant start with the word "why"....all you can do is explain now.
Posted by MasterDebater33 5 years ago
I don't really see what sides are open for debate. If Mark can offer what he would be arguing exactly I would gladly except this debate.
Posted by Johnicle 5 years ago
I agree with the below posts. If you want a discussion this should go in the forum... Otherwise, state it like "America has cut education too far." or something like that.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
It's a debate site. Ya gotta have a resolution to debate not a question.

I have no idea what it means to "try to be like Europe" in education. Both America and Europe are falling behind Asia, although America is falling faster.
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
Your resolution isn't clear. establish an issue like americans shouldn't compete with europe in education
Posted by Cobo 5 years ago
Euro vs. america via Education.