TheLibertarianNewAger
dairygirl4u2c

Why do people oppose libertarianism when we are a free country?

dairygirl4u2c
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

TheLibertarianNewAger

Pro

This debate is going to be on why people do not like the idea of libertarianism (limited government) when our country is based on freedom and democracy.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

there are several reasons to oppose libertarianism.

people dont want anarchy. true libteriaism is no government. that can lead to violence, theft etc. inability to enforce contracts. we need law and order.

we value equity. if a family were to be suddenly dropped onto the earth, there is a certain expectation that they should be able to support themselves. if a mega corporation owned all the earth and farmed all the earth, and that man cannot go pick apples, he is being deprived natural resources due to man's laws. not natural law. in a less extreme point, it's just a matter of scale as to the common everyday poor man. they should be able to support themselves, at least against unproportional wealth of others.
this leads to all kinds of things. food stamps. health care. perhaps shelter. perhaps education. etc etc.

it's not to say there's no merit to libertariansm schools of thought. government can go too far too. given how much we need government involvement, though, it is entirely fair to say you are against libertarianism.
TheLibertarianNewAger

Pro

TheLibertarianNewAger forfeited this round.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

reiterate
TheLibertarianNewAger

Pro

dairygirl4u2c

Con

reiterate
TheLibertarianNewAger

Pro

Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
Aye would help if you specified the country for many other countries consider themselves free
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
LiberalLogic101
Why do people oppose rape if this is a free country?

Not that Liberationists are rapists; my dad is one, but that's a weird question to ask.
Posted by derspence 2 years ago
derspence
It looks like the question answers itself. People oppose Libertarianism BECAUSE we (assuming we are talking about the US) are a free country.
Posted by InnovativeEphemera 2 years ago
InnovativeEphemera
If you clarify what country you live in, edit the question to form a statement so that it can be contended instead of just sort of described, and reduce the voting period from six months, I'll be happy to accept.
InnovativeEphemera
Also you say "our country is based on freedom and democracy." Which country do you live in?
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
I agree that there's a definition issue, but there's also a sides issue. I have no idea what I'd be arguing if I took up Con. For that matter, I don't know what Pro's arguing. All you've done here ask a question and said what the topic is. I'm guessing, given your screen name, that you are on the side that libertarianism shouldn't be opposed in the U.S., but even if I assume that, I'm not sure what the burdens are here. As Con, would I simply have to show a single reason why libertarianism should be opposed in order to win? Do I have to prove that libertarianism is worse than some given alternative? Do I have to prove that libertarianism, as a whole, is just plain bad?

I'm really at a loss here.
Posted by NPd 2 years ago
NPd
That's what I'm wondering also. Libertarianism can refer to minarchist/anarchist capitalism or libertarian socialism/communism. I'm assuming you mean the former right? Since America is traditionally a capitalist country.
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
Do you mean libertariansm as in the right wing kind?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TheLibertarianNewAgerdairygirl4u2c
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
TheLibertarianNewAgerdairygirl4u2c
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: FF.