jtstamos
goldman

Why do people think that this country was founded on Christianity?

jtstamos

Pro

Why are so many people these days saying that America needs to go back to it's Christian values when in fact that goes against everything the founding fathers created? Why is it a big deal that a politician or teacher is not religious when most of the founding fathers weren't either? I'm honestly worried about our education system if it is teaching our society that we are a Christian country, denies science because they are to stubborn to believe in the crazy amount of evidence that proves that a lot of the things in the bible are clearly wrong and accepts laws being made based on the ideals of Christianity. I'm up for a debate and would honestly love for someone to give me a reason to believe the contrary.
goldman

Con

I accept the debate. These days we see a decline of popularity of Christianity in the United States.
For example, ``back in 2008, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life had interviewed 35,000 for a survey.
It coincided with findings that Protestantism and Catholicism were losing members over the years.
They either converted to a different religious faith or dropped religion completely.``( http://www.digitaljournal.com...)

The important thing is that ``Christianity in general is slowly losing its foothold and influence.``(http://www.digitaljournal.com...). We must recognize that this situation is leading to the loss of vitality and morality of American economy and society.
In particular, we must pay much attention to the fact that the number of Protestant Sects is decreasing.

Protestant Sects contributed to transforming the American economy dependent too much on the agriculture into the economy dependent heavily on the big manufacturing companies like GM, Ford, U.S. steel and others.
Managers who built those Big businesses were devout believer in Christianity.
They placed higher value on Protestantism. At the same time they were pursuing industrious work, saving and the affection for others in their life. Their way of life and behavior offered an importance guidance to realize American Dream for many American people.

I continue my arguments for Round 2.
jtstamos

Pro

Thank you for excepting my debate. Now saying that "We must recognize that this situation is leading to the loss of vitality and morality of American economy and society" is claiming that morality comes from Christianity alone. This is simply not true, plenty of people from other religions and people with no claim to religion are good people. Think of Ghandi, the Dalai Lama or the hundreds of scientist working to cure cancer that are mostly Atheist.

Also, as far as industry and the economy goes, we wouldn't be even close to where we are without people like Alan Turing, the "father of computer science and artificial intelligence". He was Atheist and homosexual. Or how about once again the countless Biologists, Geneticists, and other scientists that constantly contribute to our economy and manufacturing.

Above all of this you still seem to assume that this country was founded on Christianity when it was not and it was very clearly written by the founding fathers that it was not.

"Lighthouses are more useful then churches"-Ben Franklin.

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man"-Thomas Jefferson.

Also, in the constitution the first amendment says that no law shall be made respecting a religious establishment. The new American motto 'In God We Trust' was not put on any currency, documents, or pledge of allegiance until 1955. The founding fathers knew that there had to be a complete separation of church and state (sound familiar) for there to be a true democracy. When you base laws from religion it takes away freedoms from people with different beliefs and as Abraham Lincoln said "Those who take freedoms from others does not deserve it for themselves". Ohh and he also said "The bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession". In the original Constitution the only reference to religion was [Article 6] "No religious test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States". The original motto of the United states was E. Pluribus Unum which means "Out of Many, One" until congress changed it 174 years later.

So again I ask, why do you think this country was founded on Christianity?
goldman

Con

I try to challenge for answering your question, asking that ``why the U.S. was founded on Christianity ?``
I believe that the U.S. was founded on Christianity belief system and the country is a Christian country.
The U.S. was created by those who believed in Christianity.

The pilgrims who wanted to escape Europe from religious persecution were Christians. ``Maryland was a haven for Catholics from Protestant England.``(http://www.faithofourfathers.net...)

my COMPUTER HAS SUDDENLY STTOPED FUNCTIONING . i MUST ABANDON MY ARGUMENTS HERE.
i APOLOGIZE PRO.
jtstamos

Pro

jtstamos forfeited this round.
goldman

Con

Unfortunately, Pro forfeited his arguments for round 3.
Therefore, I do not continue on my argument.
Posted by jtstamos 4 years ago
jtstamos
This country was not founded on Christinanity the pilgrims moved here to flee religious persecution because they were Puritans were as England was an Anglican country. They did all believe in Jesus but not all of the founding fathers did. "Lighthouses are more useful then churches"-Ben Franklin. "Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man"-Thomas Jefferson. Also, in the constitution the first amendment says that no law shall be made respecting a religious establishment. The new american motto 'In God We Trust' was not put on any currency, documents, or pledge of allegiance until 1955. The founding fathers knew that there had to be a complete separation of church and state (sound familiar) for there to be a true democracy. When you base laws from religion it takes away freedoms from people with different beliefs and as Abraham Lincoln said "Those who take freedoms from others does not deserve it for themselves". Ohh and he also said "The bible is not my book nor christianity my profession".
Posted by phil98 4 years ago
phil98
I'm just saying now, it is based on Christianity. Think about it. Our ancestors all came from Britain. Britain is in Europe, which at the time was fighting what type of Christianity was right. It doesn't matter how you see it or practice it, they all believed in Jesus. There's a reason it's on money, documents, pledge of allegiance everything. In fact it was their motivation that GOD made the whole country for the Americans to own which created the Westward Expansion, which shows that the American's belief in god is why we have states in the Pacific. In the end, this country started off of a belief in Jesus, and we must always respect our founder's ways.
Posted by jtstamos 4 years ago
jtstamos
You are right. I am new to this more formal format of debating. I see proof all around me and wouldn't know where to start. Part of it is because I live in the bible belt but I just don't understand why people think this country was found on christianity or any religion and would like to find out someones opinion on why they think that so that I can hopefully prove the contrary.
Posted by LaL36 4 years ago
LaL36
You really need to clean up this debate. Asking why is not a title for debate. And you need to prove that so many people say that America needs to go back to its Christian values.