StylilisedBoss
Firesofthenether

Why do we work to build machines that will one day replace us?

StylilisedBoss has forfeited round #2.
Started: 8/24/2016 Category: Technology

StylilisedBoss

Con

If we work to build machines that will replace us then we will not need to.do any.work and we would all just do things we find pleasurable. I agree that this is a good thing and I know that this is unlikely to happen but what if they were to break and we were stranded in a failing society.
Firesofthenether

Pro

I would just like to say that this is my first debate on this site.

The wording of your title has slightly confused me however I believe I am arguing in favour of machines replacing humanity.

Quoting directly from the essay "The Abolition of work"
: "No one should ever work.

Work is the source of nearly all the misery in the world. Almost any evil you"d care to name comes from working or from living in a world designed for work. In order to stop suffering, we have to stop working.

That doesn"t mean we have to stop doing things. It does mean creating a new way of life based on play; in other words, a ludic conviviality, commensality, and maybe even art. There is more to play than child"s play, as worthy as that is. I call for a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance. Play isn"t passive. Doubtless we all need a lot more time for sheer sloth and slack than we ever enjoy now, regardless of income or occupation, but once recovered from employment-induced exhaustion nearly all of us want to act."

Machinery replacing human jobs would almost certainly lead to the total abolition of work for all sentient beings.

In your argument, you stated the possibility of machinery failing. The easiest way to combat machine failure is to of course train humans to fix these, if we are at the scientific advancement for the abolition of work to be possible, then we are scientifically advanced enough for these machines to break down so little that a human might only have to work once for their entire life. Until the point where we can reach the abolition of work, the solution to fixing machines would simply be to introduce those courses in mandatory education.