Thiest_1998
missbailey8

Why don't people want to believe in God

Thiest_1998

Pro

Why don't people want to believe in God when it's so obvious he exist you don't even need evidence it's just common sense in my totally humble and unbiased opinion and the topic.
missbailey8

Con

I accept your debate and I'll be providing definitions for words in the title for clarification.

Why- for what reason or purpose
Don't - do not
People - human beings in general or considered collectively.
Want - have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for.
Believe - accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.
God - (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
Thiest_1998

Pro

Why? I don't understand what you mean.
The debate is called why don't people want to believe in God if you're an atheist or agnostic you're supposed to say why don't you believe in God and/or say why it's not obvious that he exist, that's why I put the the title as "why don't people want to believe in God.

Btw it's not a debate it's more of a discussion.
missbailey8

Con

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. I'll explain why I don't believe in God. Note: I don't have anything against anyone who does believe in God. As long as you aren't hurting anyone then you're perfectly fine with me.
To be honest, I never believed in God. I know a lot of atheists who used to believe and then something happened or they just realized they didn't think any of it. I never did, even as a child.
I grew up in a religious household with a Christian mother and a Mormon father. They always took me to church when they were together. They made me join a church camp and read my Bible cover to cover. They tried to force me to believe but I've never had any faith whatsoever. I knew I was an Atheist before I even knew the word to describe myself.
I don't want to believe in God because of all of the crazy passages saying things like a woman should be forced to marry her rapist, you can't cut your hair, kill rebellious children, so on and so forth.
I also don't want to believe because I'm a lesbian. The passages about stoning the gays didn't exactly make me want believe in God.
Another reason is that there is too much evidence against God ever really existing. The world definitely isn't just 6,000 years old. Also, if Adam and Eve had just two sons and they never had kids with Eve then how did we get here? Did they commit bestiality that was never written in? If so, that isn't possible for anyone to have a human-animal hybrid. Anyway, my point stands.
Before this turns into a hyper aggressive religion debate, I'll answer the initial question. Why don't people want to believe in God? I think all of the reasons above, actually. I don't think it's that they don't want to believe, but more that they just don't due to conflicting information and science. As much as everyone wants to believe in, say, Santa, some people just can't believe because of opinions and evidence against it.
Thiest_1998

Pro

Ok I see, they're forceful upbringing made you not want to take part in Christianity anymore this happened to me as well it's one of the reasons why I don't want to go to church anymore but can you please quote passages in the Bible where it says kill rebellious children, you shouldn't cut your hair and you should marry your rapist also about stoning gay people also they could have been showing you the wrong Bible version.

btw if they're any parents who are reading this and force your child to go to "church" or camp or anything religious you could be pushing them away from you and the religion just saying from my experience and missbailey8's experience I would suggest asking them if they want to come to church if not try and encouraging them to come to church tell them why they need Jesus and salvation "when the time is right" also use the (KJV)

I believe that the earth is around 6,000 year's old it definitely isn't millions-billions of years old if it is then how come there isn't more people on the earth if you look at human population growth rates you would be able to calculate around 4500 years of human population growth just one of many reasons why I don't believe that the earth is older than at least 10,000 year's.
The bible is talking about two sons they've had in particular because one had killed the other also when God came to Cain and Cain said whoever finds me shall kill me
Genesis 4:14 Behold, you have driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from your face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that finds me shall slay me.

This implies that there are more people on the earth (Adam and Eve had more children) also they lived for 900+ year's they could have had a lot of children in that time.

I think people have misunderstood the bible for one some people have been taught the wrong way and (or) people has had someone special taken away from them and they blame God for it forgetting that everyone has to go at some point we all won't be here forever I believe that there is a God and I believe that there is a life after this and I hope we all go to the right place.

Thank you have a nice day everyone LOVE YOU ALL X :)
missbailey8

Con

missbailey8 forfeited this round.
Thiest_1998

Pro

Anything else
missbailey8

Con

missbailey8 forfeited this round.
Thiest_1998

Pro

And that's it folks
Posted by TheCourier101 7 months ago
TheCourier101
If you ask me why people don't believe certain things it's because they don't want there illusions destroyed I've struggled in the past if there was a god or not I still struggle with it you want a suggestion go to the bible and read Proverbs to me if there is a god he made that book to give us life lessons and many other reasons to keep going in life people are often afraid to die believe me I AM
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 8 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
canis ??? who you responding too? Thiest? Me? someone else?
Posted by canis 8 months ago
canis
It was you who asked the Q...."why dont people..." And you got answers...
FollowerofChrist1955
and YET here you are? Wasting everyone's time by your presence. This is the RELIGION section? You should be in people or politics, anywhere where your useful, which is clearly NOT here.
Posted by Ron80 8 months ago
Ron80
Hi Flower. God didn't really tell all humanity that, that's just a story told over and over by generations of people afraid of the word around them they didn't understand. Some of those people wrote those stories down, developed and structured it and it became a religion. Your belief in God is a product of 2000 years of mass delusion embedded in a culture and your own inner need to cling to something greater than yourself that you can turn to when in need. That explanation right there makes sense, your God or any other God(s) do not make sense.
FollowerofChrist1955
Ron80, refusing to SEE evidence is not absence of evidence. God Himself has declared to all humanity that He HAS made HIS EXISTENCE known in His creation itself. That you and countless millions CHOOSE to ignore it is ON YOU.

To date you are the 60+ person I have read on line who seems to suggest that it's someone ELSE responsibility to prove God exists. Those who KNOW God exists, know it because they searched for themselves and not because someone ELSE showed them anything.

God patiently waits to reveal Himself to those who because of situation or circumstance, begin to TRULY wonder if HE REALLY DOES EXIST. Read the boards and you will see, the improper attitudes of those who claim to want to know but are ready to make every excuse to refuse any evidence provided to them? No one can reveal anything to a CLOSED mind.

Whether you or any other soul on earth does NOT believe that God exists, IS NOT going to exempt them from the consequences they have brought upon themselves in their unbelief. I will tell you right now EXACTLY what God is going to REMIND you of BEFORE you are thrown into Hell on the last day, there HAS, IS and WAS evidence of His existence before your eyes every single day of your life ..... you only EVER had to look with an open Heart!
Posted by Ron80 8 months ago
Ron80
If God can exist without evidence than everything you can imagine can exist (trolls, fairies, Spiderman, Thor, etc). What makes God different from those beings? Our do you believe Spiderman is also real?
Posted by canis 8 months ago
canis
Why all these quotes.. To quote comics like Spiderman, Superman or Donald duck does not make any difference to what Spiderman, Superman or Donald Duck is... That is why more and more people do not believe in a god.. It is really just that simple....
Posted by Hayd 8 months ago
Hayd
Get rekt by vi_spex you fool

My <3=vi_spex
Posted by Thiest_1998 8 months ago
Thiest_1998
Are atheist this scared