kms25
JayJay25

Why fast food is bad

JayJay25

kms25

Pro

Waiting for con...
JayJay25

Con

I accept the challenge
Waiting for pro
kms25

Pro

Thank you for debating me on this. To start off, lets have a fair, easy, and great debate!

First of all, fast food is bad for many reasons. One main reason is that all fast foods are never cooked fresh. They are all pre made (frozen) which holds many fattening products contained in each food such as carbs, breadcrumbs, corn flour, processed potato, processed egg and milk products, hydrogenated vegetable oil, saturated fats, gums, sugar substitutes and then made to taste good by adding herbs, spices, salt, monosodium glutamate and sugars. Which is all bad for a person.

Second of all, by not eating the proper foods and eating all processed foods, frozen foods, and unhealthy fast foods that can be found in fast food places such as burger king, McDonald's, Wendy's, taco bell, white castle, (ect), this creates a terrible diet that effects the body badly.. it creates
- high blood pressure
- increase in cholesterol
- decrease your metabolic rate at which you digest, process, and eliminate food
- weaken your immune system
- destabilize your blood sugar level

All the above unhealthy causes to your body is just fat being stored.
Strokes, diabetes, irregular blood sugar levels, heart attacks, cancer of the colon, more illness (since your immune system isn't as strong) and a greater chance of getting different types of cancers as your levels of antioxidants are very low. This also leads to weight gain as well as obesity which is why most of the time at fast food places you see overweight people eating there.

I understand how cheap it can be and how quick fast food places are (hence the name "fast" food) but most of the reason why it's so cheap is because of what the food is made of. The link below takes you to a picture of what is made of the burgers, chicken, fries, and all the types of food that are served at fast food restaurants..

http://www.google.com...

Also, all the types of salts and sugars that are in fast foods are very addicting because these types of ingredients is what makes the brain seek them out. The burger alone at McDonald's or burger king has over 1,000 calories in it..imagine 2 burgers or 3..since 1 doesn't always fill people due to its little proportions

Take a look at this website.. this explains basically everything I am saying about how bad fast food really is..
http://www.personalpowertraining.net...

Overall I am pro to believing fast food is nothing but BAD for a person. It cause snothing but damage.
JayJay25

Con

Lets get this debate started.

Many people would probably think I was crazy for saying fast food is good but I am about to make you change your mind as to why for some people it can be good.

Pro states that for one thing fast food is not good because it's not fresh, its all pre made or frozen, its made with carbs, bread crumbs, corn flour, potato, eggs, milk. vegetable oils, sugar, and (pro lists others)

I don't believe this is true because a lot of the food we buy at grocery stores contain carbs, corn flour, milk, eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and others. frozen foods are sold at everyday grocery stores and in fact, most people feed their kids fast foods as well frozen foods. Do you think if it was so bad for you they would be selling it in your home town grocery store or for that matter letting your kids eat it?

I play ice hockey down in Florida and I am always traveling to country to country. Fast food is easy to get when on the road and there's no time to stop and pay a fortune to eat at a 5 star restaurant. As well as it being easy to get, I also mentioned its very cheap ad reasonable. At McDonald's they have a dollar menu where everything is just a dollar.

Many people are a stickler in being healthy where there can be no fat in their diet but if they have an extremely low fat healthy diet, some fat can be good for their body. Eating fast food is better than not eating at all. Plus not all fast foods are bad..

Take the menu for example. Some of the items on the menu as healthy. McDonald's has healthy apples, puddings, yogurts, fruits and walnuts, and some salads are healthy has well. Below is the link to the menu. If you don't believe me. Take a look..

http://www.mcdonalds.com...

Also, another reason why I'm con in believing fast food is not all bad and can be good is the fact that you listen a bunch of diseases and illnesses that can occur from eating fast food but what you don't understand is that a person can get sick from eating anything or just from lack of exercise or for just not taking care of themselves. Fast food is not the fault of that.

Although pro makes good points and I do see how some fast food can be bad but not all of it is bad therefore con makes stronger points.
kms25

Pro

Con makes good points but lets go back and review his points..

I first stated that fast foods are not good for a person because they are not fresh or natural foods, they are frozen, and are all processed that contain carbs, corn flour, eggs and milk, vegetable oils, and sugars.. Con stated that most of the ingredients as well as the frozen foods are in regular grocery stores and are foods kids eat everyday. To start off with this, the frozen foods that are sold at grocery stores are not high processed foods like the food sold at fast food places. Most of the frozen foods are made fresh and natural and then just stored in a freezer to stay frozen for a period of time before the person whose buying it takes it out and cooks it. Con also states that kids eat these frozen foods all the time, I do agree with this statement but I also think that it's deceiving because fast food places know children won't eat at fast food places unless they provide a toy, which is why now a days most fast food places have a kids meal with a toy in it, whether it be a toy of the newest Disney movie like "cars or toy story" or if its just a little gadget to grab their attention to make their parents buy them it.

Con also stated that he travels all the time and due to this is always on the road so its just "easy" to grab fast food places on the go. You stated, "There's no time to stop and pay a fortune at a 5 star restaurant".. I would go that far tough, even subway or a simple deli would be better than a fast food place where they serve nothing but processed foods that can damage your health.

Also, since providing the menu, yes there are some things on it that are healthy but when you look at it there's like 5 healthy items out of like 50 other items that are not healthy for you. When a person goes to a fast food place they aren't thinking "oh healthy yogurt" they are thinking "oh okay cheeseburger or chicken fingers." And since before I brought up damaging health it brings me to my next point..

Con states, that the illnesses I listed above such as high blood pressure, increase in cholesterol, weakening your immune system, destabilizing your blood sugar level, creating a higher chance for cancer, diabetes and other illnesses, can all be caused by other reasons then eating poorly. But what I am trying to say is that one of the biggest causes of damaging your health is by eating fast foods and poor foods.

If you still want to tell me fast foods and other poor fatty foods doesn't effect someone's health the most out of any other causes look these websites because these are sure to make you change your mine..

http://www.organichealthyeating.com...
http://www.livestrong.com...
http://www.moneyinstructor.com...

I am pro because I don't think fast foods are good for anyone. I am able to support all my reasons as well as tell you what your lacks in your reasoning. Vote pro
JayJay25

Con

Continue this debate. I do see your points as to why you think fast food is bad but I still am con and do think it can be good at times for certain people.

For one thing, you bring up the kids menu which is one of the biggest advertisements aiming at kids. The kids go to the movies and see that movie they like and then McDonald's or burger king advertises the toy that was in the movie as a special gift with a purchase of a kids meal and automatically the kids want to go to McDonald's or burger king. Why not bring your kid down to a place where they actually want to go, you know kids barely eat when they are young because they are so picky and all. Also, You say that most of the frozen foods that are in grocery stores are natural and cooked fresh and then just put in the fridge to be cook again after, that's true to an extent my dear because not all frozen foods they sell in grocery stores are cooked freshly before putting in the freezer. So if that kind of food is just like fast food (in a sense) why not go to the fast food place considering its a lot cheaper than grocery store prices.

Pro states that while traveling on the road for ice hockey I should go to a deli or some other place that's better than a fast food but let me clarify that the only reason why a deli wouldn't work is because on the parkway or highway there are no delis on the side of busy roads. There are always gas stations and there is always fast food places next to the gas stations which makes it easy to go to while traveling.

Pro states that after I showed the menu of the healthy choices some fast foods supply, there are only a limited number of healthy foods vs fattening foods served and pro states, "When a person goes to a fast food place they aren't thinking "oh healthy yogurt" they are thinking "oh okay cheeseburger or chicken fingers." - This is a contradiction because most people don't really think like that. They go to restaurants that they like to get what they want. If they want a burger they could go to burger king or a burger joint. If they liked McDonald's yogurts and fruits and went there they wouldn't be getting burgers or chicken so who are you to say that they would be getting something fattening.

Also going back to illness's that can be caused from poor foods.. pro states that high blood pressure, weakening the immune system, destabilizing your blood sugar level, higher chance for cancer, diabetes and other illnesses can be cause my putting bad foods into your system BUT a person can get any of these illnesses from just not taking care of themselves or their hygiene or even lack of exercise. Fast food is not just the main fault.

Pro does make good reasoning for believing why fast food can be bad but con also supports their reasoning for believe why fast food is not all bad and can be good. Therefore vote con.
kms25

Pro

Exactly u just brought up a great point of why fast food is bad for you. You said that all fast food places has toys in every kids meal to attract kids! They do that to bring in customers because kids are probably their biggest consumers. Why would any parent let their kids eat that bad food? They wouldn't do the fast food places bring something kids like (like toys) and now the kid isn't going to stop crying or whining until they get that toy!

Then you bring up the fact that I said grocery foods (the frozen section) aren't like any frozen foods in a fast food place because its made different. This is true, pro says that they are the same but they aren't because the food isn't processed with high salts or fats and if the stuff they were selling wasn't fresh they woudnt be allowed to sell it. Yes fast food is a lot cheaper then going to a grocery store and getting food but grocery stores have sales on items all the time and the difference in price is no more than 5.00 different which isn't a big deal if its helping and preventing any illnesses you could get from eating bad and fattening foods such as food from a fast food place.

Con says that fast food is convienet for you when your on the roads because on busy highways they have McDonald's and other places rather than delis but if you were to take the next exit I can promise you you would find a much better place to eat then a fast food place. Once in awhile I guess its okay but you need to think about your health considering you are a hockey player and all. You should be very conscientious of what you put into your health since your an athlete.

Next con states, people who go to fast food places aren't nessesscaryly getting fattening foods, this is false because if they weren't getting something fattening they wouldn't be going to the fast food place in the first place. I mean people who are healthy don't go to McDonald's for yogurt, they would go to like "red mango" healthy yogurt place or a "greenberies" which is a healthy place to get yogurt as well.

Also I just also want to say that fast food is not good for a person because if you take a look as the movie "super size me", which I'm sure you have heard of it because in high school every health class has showed it, it shows a guy eating nothing but McDonald's and throughout the process he gains tons of weight and has high cholesterol and really does damage to his health.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE LINK..

Therefore fast food is not good for a person. There is nothing positive about it.
JayJay25

Con

You bring up the kids menu which is one of the biggest advertisements aiming at kids. The kids go to the movies and see that movie they like and then McDonald's or burger king advertises the toy that was in the movie as a special gift with a purchase of a kids meal and automatically the kids want to go to McDonald's or burger king. Why not bring your kid down to a place where they actually want to go, you know kids barely eat when they are young because they are so picky and all. Also, You say that most of the frozen foods that are in grocery stores are natural and cooked fresh and then just put in the fridge to be cook again after, that's true to an extent my dear because not all frozen foods they sell in grocery stores are cooked freshly before putting in the freezer. So if that kind of food is just like fast food (in a sense) why not go to the fast food place considering its a lot cheaper than grocery store prices.

Although pro does make good reasoning for believing why fast food can be bad con supports their reasoning for believing why fast food is not all bad and can be good. Therefore vote con
kms25

Pro

Okay well first of all I just want to say that you copied and pasted like your whole other comment before and used it again. if your not going to actually debate me then forfeit.

1- Frozen foods that are sold at grocery stores are all natural foods and if weren't they would not be allowed to sell it.

2- One of the main reasons why there are toys or special little gadgets in kids meals is to attract children and their families. The food is not healthy and is not good for a person what so ever so forcing the kids to come in this way (considering they are the number one consumer) is their way of bringing kids to eat such bad foods. Child obesity has sky rocketed due to fast food places and what the child put in their mouths.

3-I still don't see an excuse why on the road its easier to eat fast food. Yes its cheaper but I'm sure you could find a cheap place to eat if you just looked and didn't just jump at the first food place you saw AND I also think you being an athlete should be a little more aware of the foods you eat because then you won't be playing to your full potential.

4- The menu alone at McDonald's or any food place for that matter are all burgers, chicken fingers, ect ect ect its all fried fried fried foods. Fried foods are the worst with all the oils and salt and different other ingredients that causes harm to the body. Cigarettes to a smoker is like mdcondlads to a fat person. Addicting and harmful.

5- People who go to fast food places DO NOT go for somehintg healthy. I can gaurentee you they go to that place for a burger or fries or even a soda which is also not good for a person.

6- Going back to the illnesses.. lets list those again
-High blood pressure
- Increase in cholesterol
weakening immune system
Destabilizing blood sugar level
- Higher chance for cancer
- Diabetes
- Other illnesses

All these listed above can occur due to fast food so why even bother putting yourself in that position. Look at these websites.. they list why fast foods are bad..no website tells you why fast foods are good

http://www.livestrong.com...
http://www.newscientist.com...

Even look at this youtube video! THIS IS CRAZY

Overall this was a great debate but Pro provides bettEr reasoning as to why fast foods are bad therefore vote pro. NO FAST FOODS
JayJay25

Con

I didn't just copy my comment but continuing with this debate..

You say that most of the frozen foods that are in grocery stores are natural and cooked fresh and then just put in the fridge to be cook again after, that's true to an extent my dear because not all frozen foods they sell in grocery stores are cooked freshly before putting in the freezer. So if that kind of food is just like fast food (in a sense) why not go to the fast food place considering its a lot cheaper than grocery store prices.

Pro does make good reasoning for believing why fast food can be bad but con also supports their reasoning for believe why fast food is not all bad and can be good. Therefore vote con. Great debate. Let the best win.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro made quite a few false statement that Pro didn't catch. Pro said all fast food uses frozen ingredients. Wendy's, for example, uses never-frozen beef and all fresh ingredients. Pro claimed that mechanically separated chicken was always used. McDonald's uses whole chicken meat. This doesn't make much difference for the debate because it just further emphasizes that there is nothing wrong with the food. People can make bad choices and eat too much, but that's not the food seller's fault.

Incidentally, mechanically separated food is made by flaying the bones to separate the meat. This has been used for hot dogs for a log time. the flaying process adds some tiny bone chips that ultimately dissolve in stomach acid. The extra calcium makes it healthier than conventionally processed meat.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
The resolution is automatically false.

Food cannot run or move in any way that we can determine speed with. Thus, food cannot be fast, which means fast food does not exist. If it does not exist, it cannot be bad for you.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
kms25JayJay25Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a few arguments mplying something wrong with the food itself (processing with ammonia) but mostly argued that people made bad choices by eating too much or by making poor menu choices. Most foods are "bad" if you eat too much or have too narrow a diet. The question is whether unappetizing "pink slime" is actually bad for your health. Pro showed no evidence of that.
Vote Placed by Jhate 4 years ago
Jhate
kms25JayJay25Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct- con, pro was not as civil and displayed anger Grammar - pro Sources- Con, pro used wikipedia and wikipeidia is not a valid source.