LAcockblocker
Muted

Why is Jesus Christ always being portrayed as white almost every church all over the world (racism)

Muted

LAcockblocker

Pro

Why is Jesus Christ always being portrayed as white almost every church all over the world ? (I'm not here arguing about religion and faith ), but If we think more logically, we assume that Jesus Christ was born near Jerusalem, he must be Hebrews (or mostly nowadays jews or Palestinian ) , he shouldn't have that kind of lossen light white skin but maybe a little bit darker, something in between scandinavian and Arab, but almost every church I've been to , even bibles of some different Christian branches, it's showing Jesus as a caucasian. I think history of colony racism is the main reason behind this. Since the renaissance and the discovery age, western of the world at that time started to become the main dominate and leading places ,the "center" of the world started to westshift from ancient china, India, Persia, Ottoman Empire Turks...etc . As Europe main power like the British , French, Spain grew and expand their colonies all over the world, Christianity also being introduced in many places, but these new churches that we can visit today only remain Jesus "white " identity. One of the most supporting reason is that these European colonizers need to portray a "white" messiah for lots of reasons political stability, the legality of their superiority over the other races Colonization and white power ruling . I was just wondering how did Jesus "look "like during the late Roman Era till middle ages in Europe or other places like middle east. Even till now , in this about 250 years old nation so called United States, we can only see that Jesus be portrayed in black or dark in some black church. But this is only recent 30 yrs which happened in this country after the civil right movement.
Thus finally, I think since there is no proof which skin color Jesus got,thus either white and black make not logical, maybe a little bit dark brownish white with black hair in my deduction. In conclusion racism and colonization are one of the main reasons which can well explained Jesus Christ's "skin".
Muted

Con

In this debate, I will not provide the usual essay style debate. Instead, I will use the cut-paste approach, where I take statements from Pro and reply with a direct rebuttal.

Firstly, some definitions. By "white," I am assuming my opponent refers to the shade of skin color that is caused by a lack of pigmentation (melanin) within the skin cells of albino and caucasian peoples.

All Pro statements will be underlined.

Why is Jesus Christ always being portrayed as white almost every church all over the world ?

A good question. However, a better question to ask would be: Why are almost all of the painters who depict Jesus in their paintings white? This is a much more appropriate question and shows that it is in effect not racism, but actually just a human tendancy to depict the unknown similar to themselves, especially if they wish to emulate said depiction. This is not inherently due to racism.

Racism, according to google dictionary, is a noun which means,
  1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  2. Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

On first glance, it would already be made clear that racism is not a cause of the depictions being white. This is because in medieval times, potrayals of Jesus was white. (It is probable that prior to this there were few, if any, depictions of the Christ) As such, the main contention, that of racism, is mute. (Oh, I like that word).

I think history of colony racism is the main reason behind this.
This is simply incorrect. By the medieval stage of European cultural development, Jesus was already being portrayed as white. This makes your second contention mute because the barbaric Europeans (compared with the civilized easterners) would not have any sense of superiority in terms of colonization and race.

The last is not important to the debate, but I believe Jesus is of similar skin color to the rest of the Jewish population (They have always been known as Jewish). This skin color is dark-olive-brown.

In this few paragraphs, I have shown that Pro's wall of text is filled with errors.

Back to Pro.
LAcockblocker

Pro

LAcockblocker forfeited this round.
Muted

Con

Vote Con!
LAcockblocker

Pro

LAcockblocker forfeited this round.
Muted

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by morgan2252 4 years ago
morgan2252
Actually, black people believe in a black Jesus, as well as a black Santa...
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
LAcockblockerMutedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit.
Vote Placed by morgan2252 4 years ago
morgan2252
LAcockblockerMutedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to con because of FF. Arguments to con because he does a great job of rebutting pro's argument, and pro obviously does not respond. S&G and sources are the same.
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
LAcockblockerMutedTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F. Full of S & G errors
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
famer
LAcockblockerMutedTied