GothG1rl37
Stonewall

Why is Marching/Concert band an important thing for teens in High School?

Stonewall

GothG1rl37

Pro

For my school project I am focusing on a rather important and widely ignored topic. The High School Marching Band. Most argue "It's not a sport!" but you try saying that after spending 3-5 hours practicing going back, forth, sideways, and even diagonal-ways while trying to face one direction, wearing a full cotton uniform in 90 degree heat, which on turf is about 105 degrees and in a full cotton uniform is 125 degrees. While playing Tuba, flute, trumpet, or percussion. Then you can decide if its a sport or not. I need to do this debate to see what other people think though. (english paper)
Please give your opinions, with as little profanity as possible.
Stonewall

Con

I'll preface my argument with this: Good luck with your paper! I hope my arguments will help you in detailing it. I was in marching band in every year of my high school career. For one week before school started, we would run drills in similar conditions for 8 hours a day, and then for two hours every day of school until the season was over. Not exactly the most pleasant experience of my life. With that being said, I do not consider marching band a sport.

First, the main part of what makes a sport a sport is competition. There is no real competition involved in marching band. Even when it is made into one (I myself have been in such competitions), the manner of scoring is incredibly subjective- you can't rank every single person and every single note; it must be looked at as a whole. Also, the definition of compete/competition is, "strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same." When combined with sport's definition (an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment), writing a difficult paper can be considered a sport if two people are doing it for the purpose of getting into a college. It's physically and mentally taxing, and it requires skill to do it well. Similarly, I wouldn't consider it a sport.

The physical activity is, also, not exactly difficult. Yeah, wearing a cotton uniform is hot and heavy, but the only real skill required is counting and stepping to a beat. Without that uniform, marching becomes significantly easier (again, speaking from experience). Whether or not you play basketball or football in a uniform, the job/act itself remains difficult. Considering marching band could be done without a uniform, this makes it a bit more difficult to consider a sport. Of course rhythm is a talent in itself, but stepping to a beat is not exactly difficult... look at people's feet in a mall, everyone steps to the beat of the background music whether it's fast or slow. Half of marching band is, literally, marching. And anyone who can keep a beat can do it.

And as for the playing instruments (the second half of marching band), it's difficult to do anything while you're marching. Try writing a paper while marching. Or folding your laundry. Anything becomes harder when marching is added to the equation. But I wouldn't say that march-folding is much of a sport either.

Obviously marching band is not an easy thing to do. Lots of concentration and whatnot. But doing something and tagging 'marching' to it does not automatically make it a sport, but more just something for a crowd to watch while they're at the hot dog stand waiting till the game starts again.
GothG1rl37

Pro

Well to start with, thank you for your input!
and secondly I have no real idea what I'm doin here, and I think I started this off wrong.
the project is thusly. (I do believe I'm already sucking :P)
b. Choose an organization, activity or specific person that you think exemplifies a "Gallery of Goodness". Explain what this organization, activity or individual does and how it benefits people and the community. Interview at least one person involved in this organization or activity and find out about how it started, why this person became involved and the goals the organization hopes to achieve.
I was trying to go for the "what do you think marching/competition band does good for high schooler's" approach.
sorry, i reaally messed up. And the way you put it makes sense that it isn't a sport. :)
Stonewall

Con

Huh... well, this isn't really a debate anymore... Anyways, so do you want me to tell you good things about marching band, or bad? Or both?
GothG1rl37

Pro

Either please. i really feel like an idiot now. So far i just have that,
"It teaches kids, self discipline and how to walk wit your back straight and how to sit properly, and how you"re supposed to act accordingly in public. (not that we ever do)"
Stonewall

Con

Stonewall forfeited this round.
GothG1rl37

Pro

GothG1rl37 forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Con

Maybe I'm being selfish. Who cares. Vote Con.
Posted by thetallest1 3 years ago
thetallest1
oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u guys forgot us clarinets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Lordgrae 3 years ago
Lordgrae
Then again, you would have to be in a marching section to have it count as a sport. I'm in the "pit" for my marching band (bells (vibes, marimba, xylo)/big bass/ gong/ large mostly stationary instruments) so I don't march. I don't think I should be able to count it as a sport.
Posted by MysticEgg 4 years ago
MysticEgg
So is this debate's resolution:
"Marching Bands are a sport" and you are taking Pro.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
GothG1rl37StonewallTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.