enlightener18
YLO-M

Why is islam misunderstood

enlightener18

Pro

I feel that this is an invalid question, buts its my first one on the site so im just getting familiar with the whole thing. my question/ debate is why is Islam so misunderstood and why are the things that "Muslims" claim to do the worst. I mean Hitler was trying to rid the world of Jews but no one brings any other religion up like Christianity and the fact that he was Christian or Jewish or whatever. my other thing is that people back then like the Spanish explorers used religion as an excuse to kill many native Americans. many African Americans were treated inhumanely because they were not human in many eyes but in islam everybody is eqaul. I also hear a lot of people always going back to how Muhammad pbuh married a 9 year old. when it comes to that at that time many people married people of a very young age. it was quite common. I just want to know the basis of all of the hate against Islam so I can show you the truth behind the religion. just to make it clear- Im for Islam
YLO-M

Con

[You will have to forgive any errors in format or lack of the correct ettiquette, for debating, Im green]

I look forward to our upcoming discussion. :)
enlightener18

Pro

Well, when it comes to mohammad pbuh, he was a warrior as well as a preacher because there was no set empire around him. That's why there is sharia. When it came to political matters he was a warrior and when it came to religious matters he was a messenger of god. When the Spanish explorers came to the Americas they killed many. during the inquisition in Spain many Jew And Muslims were killed and forced to convert to Christianity. In islam you are not suppose to force anybody to convert, our prophet was very forgiving( unlike wat others think) one of his family members was killed right an front of him and then the rest is quite gruesome but basically this one women was trying to get revange because her father and brother died in a battle but mohammad forgave her for almost eating his relative . The quran is given such importance because it is believed to be the words
Of Allah, it's not that we think of it before God. Women are given a higher importance in islam no matter what other countries do or say. Being a young women I am happy and totally understand every rule and regulation that is stated in the quran.
YLO-M

Con

I will be [attempting] to disprove what Pro believes, in that Islam is not misunderstood.

My primary reasoning lies within interpretations of ambiguity:

While it is undeniable that there are passages describing violence, the context always stipulates that the Muslims, the Prophet, were in the need to defend themselves.

As follows:

"To those against whom war is made,
permission is given (to fight), because they are
wronged" 22 - 39:40 [1]

Im sure that, in the Quran in that context, war means to say a physcial attack that threatens Muslims, and by extension, Allah's words. No longer is it the case where there is only one sect of Muslims, no longer are they confined to small corner of the earth. There are Muslims in nearly every country. Its also no longer the case that waging "war" is the only means to affect an enemy. So; what does the Quran teach about dealing with alien nations affecting the devotion to the ways of Islam, by just being around. It doesnt [From what Ive read], apostasy and bid'ah yes, but not of those who actively seek to disprove [indirectly] the word of the Quran or Islam.

So, what I see is a choice, of sorts. Is scientific discovery, westernisation and the like an attack on Islam or test from Allah? maybe even that they need to adapt to the changing landscape. In the times of the prophet, I cant imagine a diety trying to explain the universe to someone and expect them to relay it and believe they'll succeed.

There are Muslim communities that each have their opinion and THAT is where the misunderstanding occurs. The people who believe Islam is a religion that teaches violence and is violent, do so under the idea that Muslims believe they are at war and violence is how Islam combats war.

I cant say Ill enjoy entertaining the idea of debating that people who havent read up on Islam dont understand it. I like to think I can twist but that would be something else, if I should be trying; Balls.

[1] - quran.com/22/39-40

[Note: Once again, Id like to apologise for any failures of format, etiquette and my general greenness]
enlightener18

Pro

Well,
you see, that's my whole point I was going to get to. In the quran it was all for self defense at a certain time when islam was in the news for it the most. Islam should not be based on what "Muslims" do but on its context itself. I put Muslims in quotes because I person is not a Muslim because he was born a Muslim or because he claims to be. A Muslim is one who practices islam and submits himself to god. Now many people say that they are doing everything in the name of god but I can assure you that is not the case.

I mean I constantly go back to the same point because that is the only good examples that I can explain well, the one of the Spanish Inquisition. Where many Muslims and Jew were either forced to convert or killed. That time has passed but it was once here and it did last for as long as it did. Before 9/11 things were going well between Muslims and others. I belie that this is just a phase. Every body that is trying to reach a goal goes through them. Even Christians, and that was when people where more religious and there was no se pertain between church and state.

When it comes to science islam is not against it as I have heard so many people say. The planets are mentioned in islam and so are many other things. Here is a website I think you might find interesting.

http://www.islam-guide.com...

Thank you
YLO-M

Con

YLO-M forfeited this round.
enlightener18

Pro

enlightener18 forfeited this round.
YLO-M

Con

YLO-M forfeited this round.
enlightener18

Pro

enlightener18 forfeited this round.
YLO-M

Con

YLO-M forfeited this round.
Posted by enlightener18 3 years ago
enlightener18
So wat now, wat do I argue when there's is nothing for me to rebuttal against
Posted by enlightener18 3 years ago
enlightener18
There is nothing violent in the quran. Find one thing and prove me wrong, if there's anything it's for either defense or justice.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
I never said kill those that are innocent. I said jail or kill those freaks out there that are giving you a bad name.And I never see any muslim nations that will throw those bums out. And I see the more the quran is spread to the people the more violence is perpetrated. That is what is different about Christianity. The more hidden the bible is, the more violent its christianisms become. Like in the dark ages. The bible was hidden away in monestaries by catholic hierarchy for centuries.Thye even made it punishable by death to translate it into a language the common man could read. Once it was released into the public at the reformation then that ended the dark ages. But you are in a dark age yourself. You do not have the light of the gospel. That is why there is no innovation in any muslim nations.The only two things exported out of muslim nations is oil and terror.
Posted by enlightener18 3 years ago
enlightener18
well how am I suppose to go and hunt down everyone that kills in the name of Islam. what about the Spanish inquisition, weren't many Muslims and Jews killed for what they believed in? there are many nut jobs regardless of religion. Islam doesn't say go kill people, just because people use Islam as an excuse doesn't mean that its right, and something that you are missing is that nowhere does Islam say to kill those who are innocent. may I ask your base on all of this information? and if its the new then read the news from the opposite side and see what they are going through.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Like I said.if you are serious about changing the perception of islam, then hunt down those who give it a bad name and either jail them or kill them.We are being inundated with the brutality of Islam.Almost all of the brutal attacks on innocent people in the world is from islam. You say you are the real islam. How do we know that if you do not take action against those who do these horrible things.

One reason that I can see, is you are afraid of them as much as we have to fear them. Christians die everyday for what they believe. And even the terrorists die for what they believe. So, if you are not willing to die for what you believe out of fear, then your position is weaker than theirs.Tell me if I am missing something here.
Posted by enlightener18 3 years ago
enlightener18
And thanks for the kind words, I don't have a problem with other religions I fact I love Jesus, Mary, Moses, David, just as much as I love mohammad pbuh. There's a total of 124000 prophets, some which would probably suprise you, but still islam shouldn't be judged by the people that claim to be Muslims.
Posted by enlightener18 3 years ago
enlightener18
Can you clarify a little more when you said sexual affairs and give examples and where you got this from, and I can't go and find everyone that kills themselves with islam as an excuse. In islam killing innocent people is a grave sin and there is a punishment for it on judgement day. Can you also tell me where you got your information from. And when it come to refracted about previous religions they is more information about Mary than there is in the bible, Jesus Mary Moses David, the list goes on, they are all given very high importance in islam. On judgement day a mother will be compared to mary to see if she was as good. Basically mary is the ideal mother.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
You are right in one point. Bad deeds have been perpetrated in all religions.But the foundations are different. Mohammed was a warrior. He did kill people. He fought and conquered other peoples. Jesus conquered only satan. He healed all that came to him.Raised the dead. He attacked the real enemy of man, the law of sin and death.

Now that the foundations are established.Jesus teaches that when storms hit, your foundation will determine your reaction.In Pennsylvania there was a crazy man went into an Amish school and killed about 8 of those young kids. Then he killed himself. The first reaction the Amish was to go to the family of the killer and comfort them. Their foundation was most definitely Jesus, the prince of peace.

Now how many Muslims will strap bombs on their kids to go blow up other peoples kids.Their foundation is Mohammed.Even Christians and Jews that are not as foundational as the Amish would NEVER think of doing that.

If you are so concerned about the perception that we have about you, then why do you not hunt down these freaks and either jail them or kill them?Instead what we have seen is when 9/11 happened we saw dancing in the streets in muslim nations of men, women and children. Because your foundation is Mohammed.The only dancing in the streets here in America was when wars end, not when we go to war.
Posted by GoOrDin 3 years ago
GoOrDin
I, on the other hand understand Islam.
so. Enlightener, although you are polite and wellspoken, most like a young woman { that is a compliment even if you're a boy] I feel, quite compelled to hear you defend your faith.
As a Christian, I have no quarrel or feud with Islam, only with the masses of it's confused followers.
this will be very interesting for me.
Posted by GoOrDin 3 years ago
GoOrDin
Islam is misunderstood, because:
-Muslims relationship with God is not openly becoming.
-They have a clear incapability to understand what Christianity means.
-Their understanding of Hinduism is flawed.
-Their sexual affairs are typically as inappropriate as those of ones they refute.
-their acts of devotion are without necessity.
-Their demand to acknowledge the Quran even before considering God, who existed prior to it makes -them big-headed and ignorant.
-they have no means to defend the Quran nor their religion.
-They are proud, without a sufficient grounds to be proud on.

Islam is also misunderstood because:
-Muslims do not understand Islam.
-Islam is associated to people that existed prior to Muhammad, instead of acknowledging the true ancestry and origins of these people. No Jewish scripture ever considered their prophets to be Islamic.

It is easy to be confused when talking about scriptures. and when a scripture can only be spoken in one language, ~ A book written for the entire world, ~ then when it is translated into Arabic, it is as misconstrued as any other scripture when translated into English.

Thus Islam is misunderstood.