MAY912
YoshiBoy13

Why is it that experimentation and improvisation within music is usually perceived as "pretentious"

YoshiBoy13
Started: 2/23/2015 Category: Music

MAY912

Con

Why is it that experimentation and improvisation within music is usually perceived as "pretentious, strange, ridiculous, joke, or too intellectual or over my head" I think none of those things, I am very humble when it comes to music and listen to various styles of music, I never think oh I shouldn't listen to this because they're pretentious, I just listen carefully with an open-mind and appreciate it.
YoshiBoy13

Pro

NOTE TO VOTERS: Due to discussion in the comments, I move that the motion be: "Is experimentation within music pretentious?"

New waves in music have come to the charts over the decades, and some have caught on (e.g. jazz, reggae, electronica). This does not, however, mean that every new wave of music will sell hundreds upon thousands of copies for each song that adheres to that genre.
However, although some of the time, these new genres catch on due to the success of a single artist, track or album, it can be seen as quite pretentious that one person or band thinks they can single-handedly change the music landscape. Your friends think that the artists just assume that the new style will catch on, and therefore label it as pretentious.
MAY912

Con

MAY912 forfeited this round.
YoshiBoy13

Pro

I extend my arguments due to forfeiture on Con's side.
MAY912

Con

MAY912 forfeited this round.
YoshiBoy13

Pro

Extend arguments.
Vote Pro - if only due to the forfeiture.
Posted by YoshiBoy13 2 years ago
YoshiBoy13
Whelp, @MAY912 has just under an hour to get any arguments finalized. I'm guessing that failure to make an argument by then counts as forfeiture, it's never happened in a debate I've done so far.
Posted by AlwaysRight12345 2 years ago
AlwaysRight12345
First off, I have never heard anyone say that. Second, the resolution is written with multiple positions as it has "why." I think you meant, "is experimentation and improvisation within music pretentious."
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 2 years ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
1.) people dont see it that way

2.) this resolution isnt a debate topic
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
I didn't even know this was a thing. Are you sure it's not just your social group?
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
MAY912YoshiBoy13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit