sadhguru
funwiththoughts

Why religion and conflict?

funwiththoughts

sadhguru

Con

Tell me, why do you believe in whatever faith you believe, or do you just know it?
funwiththoughts

Pro

I am an atheist because I have yet to see any convincing argument for the existence of God.

Religion exists because people feel the need to explain things that don't have a known explanation.

Conflict happens because of pride and anger.
sadhguru

Con

Indeed,

You know what your problem is? Your not answering the basic question simply, where did this come from? Your thoughts, your speech seem to be about a process, not the cause of the process and you are avoiding this cause of the process
For one thing, If theirs no evidence for even one other universe how can you base anything on something that isn't there? That's what you accuse everyone else of. An yet you're doing it to an infinite degree, invoking an infinite number of universes or or realms or compartments or bubbles or whatever you want to call them, when theirs no evidence for one of them. That violates sciences very nature. And it fails to offer, again a legitimate explanation.
I agree with you on one thing. Indeed, once you start believing something which is not a reality for you. you are bound to be in conflict with somebody else. Because simply, somebody else is bound to believe something else....
funwiththoughts

Pro

"You know what your problem is? Your not answering the basic question simply, where did this come from? "

I cannot answer this without knowing what "this" is. I answered the questions you asked me.

"Your thoughts, your speech seem to be about a process, not the cause of the process and you are avoiding this cause of the process"

I cannot respond without knowing what process you are referring to.

"For one thing, If [sic] theirs [sic] no evidence for even one other universe how can you base anything on something that isn't there?"

I have never phrased any kind of belief in an alternate universe.

"That's what you accuse everyone else of."

I have never made any accusations even remotely similar to this.

"An [sic] yet you're doing it to an infinite degree, invoking an infinite number of universes or or realms or compartments or bubbles or whatever you want to call them, when theirs [sic] no evidence for one of them. That violates sciences [sic] very nature."

Again, I never phrased any sort of belief in alternate universes.

"And it fails to offer, again a legitimate explanation."

My opponent still has not made clear what he wants me to "offer a legitimate explanation" for. I have offered explanations for the existence of religion and conflict, and for why I am an atheist, which is all that was asked.

"I agree with you on one thing. Indeed, once you start believing something which is not a reality for you. you are bound to be in conflict with somebody else. Because simply, somebody else is bound to believe something else...."

I stated nothing of the sort! My opponent is simply making up an alternate version of me with no connection to the real thing. I have answered all the questions that were asked, and my opponent seems to have just "drifted off" into ignoring them.
sadhguru

Con

Lets forget about the topic to this argument. If you can't already tell, I'm not here to win a debate. So please stop referring to comments that I've said like this some sort of case with a jury. It sounds like your trying to avoid the simple truth. Indeed i'am only here to give you a combination to unlock your mind. Btw why are risking your life to that extent? Lets just say your belief correct. Then my belief is meaningless. And in the end I have nothing to lose. Absolutely nothing! Yet if my belief is correct. Then my friend you have everything to lose....not in this life ofcourse, but surely in the life to come..... But why take such a big risk???? Why not just believe in 1 god isn't a win win situation for you then? Very simple....if my belief is correct your doomed. Indeed a human is given free will.
funwiththoughts

Pro

"Lets forget about the topic to this argument."

Uhhmmm, no. That's not how this site works.

"If you can't already tell, I'm not here to win a debate."

Well then why did you start a debate?

"So please stop referring to comments that I've said like this some sort of case with a jury."

This IS some sort of case with a jury. Obviously, you're not going to go to jail if you lose, but it's still an argument with sides arguing for or against that will be voted on by a (hopefully) impartial viewers.

"It sounds like your trying to avoid the simple truth."

What "simple truth"?

"Btw why are risking your life to that extent?"

I'm not.

"Lets just say your belief correct. Then my belief is meaningless."

I don't see the connection, but alright.

"And in the end I have nothing to lose."

Certainly true.

"Yet if my belief is correct. Then my friend you have everything to lose....not in this life ofcourse, but surely in the life to come..... But why take such a big risk???? Why not just believe in 1 god isn't a win win situation for you then? Very simple....if my belief is correct your doomed."

My opponent uses the old "Pascal's Wager" argument. The thing is, if I accept a religion solely to avoid a risk, then I don't truly believe in what it's saying, I'm just trying to save my own butt. At least if I choose to be an atheist and turn out to be wrong then I don't get the disappointment of going to Hell when I expect to go to Heaven. Not to mention that there are multiple religions with a heaven and hell, and I can't choose all of them.

"Indeed a human is given free will."

Such was never questioned, and therefore is irrelevant, although an interesting debate topic in its own right.
sadhguru

Con

sadhguru forfeited this round.
funwiththoughts

Pro

It is a shame that my opponent has forfeited, although there may be good reason. Either way extend argument.
sadhguru

Con

sadhguru forfeited this round.
funwiththoughts

Pro

Extend argument.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Hmm, I think the debate topic sounds more like a case of personal confusion.
Hope he resolves it privately.
Even I'm confused! :-/
Posted by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
Roy is right. This isn't a debate resolution; it's more an invitation to discussion.

A good debate resolution is a simple clear assertion:

"Resolved: religion is stupid."
"Resolved: belief in god is well-founded."
"Resolved: religious conflict is unavoidable."
"Resolved: religion should be based on revelation, not on logic."

"Why religion and conflict?" is not a debate resolution. Nor is, "Tell me why you believe."
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
This is a forum topic, not a debate. Cancel the debate and start a thread in Forums > Religion
Posted by Magic8000 4 years ago
Magic8000
This comment to debate similar resolution mimic because no clear it's satire hahaha.
Posted by bsh1 4 years ago
bsh1
Can you accept even if your uncertain of your faith?
Posted by NiqashMotawadi3 4 years ago
NiqashMotawadi3
Can you elaborate further? I don't get your topic or your opening statement.
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
sadhgurufunwiththoughtsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit for refusing (against advice) to make a legitimate resolution, and then for refusing to debate in good faith.