James92
zhangwn

Why should financial aid remain in the 2.0 GPA requirements. Against the raise of the GPA

James92

Con

I believe that, financial aid should remain in the 2.0 GPA range instead of raising it to 2.5 or higher.
zhangwn

Pro

I am simply posting my acceptance of this debate.
As the instigator of this debate, my opponent reserves the right to present his arguments first and establish any rules and definitions as long as I do not contest said rules and definitions.
James92

Con

James92 forfeited this round.
zhangwn

Pro

My opponent has failed to set the standards for the round, so this debate will have no structured format. By forfeiting his round he is admitting that I am right.

One rule I would like to add is that my opponent, the instigator of the debate, has the burden of proof, so if he fails to prove that the benefits of keeping the GPA requirements low outweighs the costs, then I should win this debate.

Also, because my opponent did not specify what the financial aid was for but mentioned a GPA requirement, we must assume that he is referring to aiding college and tuition costs.

Here are the primary reasons for a GPA requirement raise:
1. Money should not be spent on people who do not use it properly.
The purpose of financial aid is to provide students of low socioeconomic background a chance to participate in a higher education without the barrier of cost. Students with a 2.0 GPA (an average of a "C" grade) are clearly not working hard enough or do not have the time for the commitment that college requires. The people in the first category are just not worth investing thousands of dollars in. The people in the second category are better off finding a job that does not require a college degree. A list of those jobs can be found here:
http://www.careercast.com....
2. Keeping the GPA requirements low reduces the incentive for students to work hard in school.
If some people can receive aid by not working hard, then why shouldn't other people do that too? The answer: taking advantage of a system that offers aid to you is just morally wrong. These people need to perform better in school in order to demonstrate that they are capable of participating in a rapidly-growing economy and contribute to it. The return for this investment in people with 2.0 GPA's does not return the value that it costs.
3. The financial aid money has to come from somewhere, and if the government is funding this financial aid, then it is coming out of taxpayer money.
Forcing the more successful people to pay more money in their taxes for 2.0 GPA students is unfair to those successful people. In fact, Obama's plan for free community college is estimated to cost $6 million per year if it is passed. Lowering the requirement would increase the number of people who would be available for that aid and thus make the costs even greater than just $6 million per year.

I have provided my reasons for my position in this debate round.
On the other hand, my opponent simply makes a claim, without warrant, that financial aid should remain at the 2.0 GPA range instead of raising it to five.

For all the reasons listed above, I urge a pro vote.

Thank you for reading!
James92

Con

James92 forfeited this round.
zhangwn

Pro

zhangwn forfeited this round.
James92

Con

James92 forfeited this round.
zhangwn

Pro

zhangwn forfeited this round.
James92

Con

James92 forfeited this round.
zhangwn

Pro

zhangwn forfeited this round.
Posted by Himans45 1 year ago
Himans45
Posted that on the wrong debate, sorry
Posted by Himans45 1 year ago
Himans45
I would accept if it was possible.